Sub 2 minute driver/co-driver tire changes?

Stuilen

Reaction
We had better luck when I stayed in the car with my foot smashed on the brake to keep it from rolling. We tried the scissor jacks but they didn’t work. We used a high lift type of jack I think was out of a Cadillac that was light, tall and strong. Just put a bigger plate on it. We had good jacking locations on all 4 corners of the car. We could do sub 3 minutes changes but nowhere near 1:05 or even 2 minutes. . One tire change took us 25 minutes because the tire chords had made a birds next in the hub. What a mess that was.
Sub 3 minutes without on board jacks is a nice compromise and probably still above average by far after hearing from our fellow racers in the 10+ range.

Stuilen

Reaction
What do most drivers/co-drivers prefer when you pull into a checkpoint to change a flat? Would you rather be left alone? Or want our help?
Its a toss up. If you cant accept help per the race org and someone with one of those new camera phones happens to be taking pictures it leads to drama here. Other times if I'm in my zone I'd rather do it myself so I don't mow someone down that's in the way. Don't think it saves much time if any. Now if the terrain is sketchy and the jack doesn't work properly than by all means give us a hand for safety reasons etc

MTPyle

Reaction
One cool feature of our new brake shut off valves is we can use them as emergency brakes. Just push the brake pedal and cre pressure then close the valve for the front. Works great.

we figured this out for crew change when we are changing rear tires. So the front wound stay out and we didn’t have to have someone chock the fronts during the pits.

we are going to start practicing both driver and co getting out to change the tire.

Mike

treypal

Reaction
Something not mentioned on these fast tire changes is that the driver is moving before the codriver is buckled back in. It’s only a few seconds for a good codriver but it’s a scary few seconds.
I think the reason codriver only changes are just as fast or faster is because there is no waiting for the driver to get buckled in before taking off.

Stuilen

Reaction
Something not mentioned on these fast tire changes is that the driver is moving before the codriver is buckled back in. It’s only a few seconds for a good codriver but it’s a scary few seconds.
I think the reason codriver only changes are just as fast or faster is because there is no waiting for the driver to get buckled in before taking off.
I did mention to refrain from mentioning about not having belts back on. We all have our ways we deal with getting them back on before it gets scary driver included. Some drivers will not leave until I'm belted. Again this was meant to see how its done (just tire change) so fast (want proof) and in no means to disregard safety to get quickest time.

mig29

Reaction
Are guys using electric or air impacts on these changes?
I was at the 2007 BITD Vegas to Reno (MM17 near the start), the TTs came then the limited classes. The Camburg truck pulled over. I heard electric impacts being used

51rcr

Reaction
2 years ago at KOH i seen Andy's co driver do it easily under 40 seconds, 35 is what i was thinking it was. No re rack, but the ratchet strap tightening took him a bit of the time, tire left at course worker. I can tell you it was damn impressive to see in person. Amazing.

C.J. Hutchins

Reaction
What do most drivers/co-drivers prefer when you pull into a checkpoint to change a flat? Would you rather be left alone? Or want our help?
Thats a great question! I wish more people would have thrown an answer at you. for me, I would welcome the help, but often times the checkpoint worker isnt a racer such as yourself. so in that case that may just get in the way. I think the racers that are working the race will jump in and help anyone. maybe the workers that arent "racers" would probably ask, "can I help you?" At that point I may say no as they probably are not racers lol Sorry for going in a circle....

Someone else mentioned getting in trouble for "outside assistance." I do not believe a course worker helping you is "outside assistance" I know with SNORE we encourage our course workers to help racers get back on the track. "outside assistance" is more about your pit crew coming and helping you outside of a pit area.

jon coleman

Reaction
Thats a great question! I wish more people would have thrown an answer at you. for me, I would welcome the help, but often times the checkpoint worker isnt a racer such as yourself. so in that case that may just get in the way. I think the racers that are working the race will jump in and help anyone. maybe the workers that arent "racers" would probably ask, "can I help you?" At that point I may say no as they probably are not racers lol Sorry for going in a circle....

Someone else mentioned getting in trouble for "outside assistance." I do not believe a course worker helping you is "outside assistance" I know with SNORE we encourage our course workers to help racers get back on the track. "outside assistance" is more about your pit crew coming and helping you outside of a pit area.
out side assistance in Baja, 3 am in the middle of nowhere, hmmmm, thats a Baja bonus when you get a helping hand out of frikken nowhere!!,Thats desert racing, my earliest memories is the fans getting a chance to help!!they Loved it!!

jon coleman

Reaction
i got lucky in Barstow , got a flat right at a group of fans, luck of the draw, changed flat, they helped load flat& that allowed co rider to get in a little quicker, 50 yards earlier or later and we be on our own,i think All out side assistance is fine as long as its Not fuel or parts

Frank13

Reaction

If it’s a top team in any class i’ll stay out of the way unless they ask for help. But for the weekend warriors most tend to welcome the help. Never have encountered a racer get mad for trying to help thankfully.

It’s not against the rules to ask course workers for help. Which most racers tend to not know. That’s why we’re out there is to help you the racer. I can’t even count the quarts of oil i’ve given out, rolls of tape, ratchet straps, tie wire, zip ties, etc...

jon coleman

Reaction
If it’s a top team in any class i’ll stay out of the way unless they ask for help. But for the weekend warriors most tend to welcome the help. Never have encountered a racer get mad for trying to help thankfully.

It’s not against the rules to ask course workers for help. Which most racers tend to not know. That’s why we’re out there is to help you the racer. I can’t even count the quarts of oil i’ve given out, rolls of tape, ratchet straps, tie wire, zip ties, etc...
Thank You!!,the oil part paid off for me at Parker, came in to checkers pit for broken control arm, and they pointed out oil leak( rear main, too much crank case psi, its a jeep 4.0 quirk), they topped off fixed arm and we finished

MTPyle

Reaction
I have been go over our in car cams from Vegas to Reno and had a question about how long people will push on a flat.

The boys had a front flat and went about 4 miles and then realized the pit was another 8 miles so they pulled over to change it. The change was a disaster as it was on sand and the front is very hard to change in the sand. Plus they were totally gassed, watching the video was painful LOL. Total time on side was 21 minutes for the change.

Anyway my question is would you try and make it 9 miles to the next pit? I guess whats the mileage thats too far? I am just wondering if they should have kept pushing with the front flat for another 9 miles. Or would they most likely do more damage? Obviously our stop was a mess so hopefully that wont happen again.

Would like to hear how far others have made it on a flat.

Mike

jon coleman

Reaction
I have been go over our in car cams from Vegas to Reno and had a question about how long people will push on a flat.

The boys had a front flat and went about 4 miles and then realized the pit was another 8 miles so they pulled over to change it. The change was a disaster as it was on sand and the front is very hard to change in the sand. Plus they were totally gassed, watching the video was painful LOL. Total time on side was 21 minutes for the change.

Anyway my question is would you try and make it 9 miles to the next pit? I guess whats the mileage thats too far? I am just wondering if they should have kept pushing with the front flat for another 9 miles. Or would they most likely do more damage? Obviously our stop was a mess so hopefully that wont happen again.

Mike
9 is too far, in 1700, i would drive until i got to a Very friendly tire change location on nice flat hard out of the traffic ground, if you wad a tire carcass around the upright/ rear axle , then your fffudged, now, if your in the last nine miles of race.....burn that motha' Down!!

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
I did mention to refrain from mentioning about not having belts back on. We all have our ways we deal with getting them back on before it gets scary driver included. Some drivers will not leave until I'm belted. Again this was meant to see how its done (just tire change) so fast (want proof) and in no means to disregard safety to get quickest time.
Co-dawg is also unbelted, window net down and halfway out by the time the truck stops moving.

EL ROMAN

Reaction

Mike
I pushed it 7 miles at the Mint this year. Not that we wanted to, but we lost our main jack to the desert gods. We have a back up bottle jack, but it takes a lot more time to get that out and use it. The tread almost tore off the carcass, so my codog cut the tread off the carcass, threw the tread on the back of the truck, and we drove the 7 miles to main pit. Cutting the tread off reduced the possibility of tearing up our bedsides and getting wrapped on anything. I did have to replace a bead lock ring on that wheel, otherwise the Method Race Wheel held up pretty good. This is the farthest I've driven on a complete flat. If we were not that close to main pit, we would have taken out the back up jack to swap tires. I did get some good photos driving on the lake bed with a giant cloud of dust behind me due to driving on the wheel (not much rubber left at that point).