Sub 2 minute driver/co-driver tire changes?

EL ROMAN

Reaction
I have been go over our in car cams from Vegas to Reno and had a question about how long people will push on a flat.

The boys had a front flat and went about 4 miles and then realized the pit was another 8 miles so they pulled over to change it. The change was a disaster as it was on sand and the front is very hard to change in the sand. Plus they were totally gassed, watching the video was painful LOL. Total time on side was 21 minutes for the change.

Anyway my question is would you try and make it 9 miles to the next pit? I guess whats the mileage thats too far? I am just wondering if they should have kept pushing with the front flat for another 9 miles. Or would they most likely do more damage? Obviously our stop was a mess so hopefully that wont happen again.

Would like to hear how far others have made it on a flat.

Mike
I pushed it 7 miles at the Mint this year. Not that we wanted to, but we lost our main jack to the desert gods. We have a back up bottle jack, but it takes a lot more time to get that out and use it. The tread almost tore off the carcass, so my codog cut the tread off the carcass, threw the tread on the back of the truck, and we drove the 7 miles to main pit. Cutting the tread off reduced the possibility of tearing up our bedsides and getting wrapped on anything. I did have to replace a bead lock ring on that wheel, otherwise the Method Race Wheel held up pretty good. This is the farthest I've driven on a complete flat. If we were not that close to main pit, we would have taken out the back up jack to swap tires. I did get some good photos driving on the lake bed with a giant cloud of dust behind me due to driving on the wheel (not much rubber left at that point).

jon coleman

Reaction
I pushed it 7 miles at the Mint this year. Not that we wanted to, but we lost our main jack to the desert gods. We have a back up bottle jack, but it takes a lot more time to get that out and use it. The tread almost tore off the carcass, so my codog cut the tread off the carcass, threw the tread on the back of the truck, and we drove the 7 miles to main pit. Cutting the tread off reduced the possibility of tearing up our bedsides and getting wrapped on anything. I did have to replace a bead lock ring on that wheel, otherwise the Method Race Wheel held up pretty good. This is the farthest I've driven on a complete flat. If we were not that close to main pit, we would have taken out the back up jack to swap tires. I did get some good photos driving on the lake bed with a giant cloud of dust behind me due to driving on the wheel (not much rubber left at that point).
did it get hot?, always be aware low / flat tires get Hot!!!

Viola1685

Reaction
Is there any advantage to having the driver stay in and not help? Seems like the big dogs dont get out but in limited classes it seems like the driver usually helps?....

I’ll bite too and brag about my co-dawg too we have it to just over 2 mins and I dont get out. We found it was faster fir me to stay in the car keep the foot on the brake and ready to go as soon as Derek’s foot hits the seat.

EL ROMAN

Reaction
Forgot to post the pic

Attachments

• Flat at Mint.jpg
    Flat at Mint.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 41