Sucess with turning cross drilled rotors?(Stillen)

DougM

Reaction
Has anyone had a pair of cross drilled rotors turned sucessfully? I have a set of crossed drilled Stillens that need turning(outer edge lip,slight warp)

I was told by Stillen that because the holes a champfured(sp?), they can be turned by any brake lathe.

Just wondering if anyone has done it?

jeff

Reaction
I turned a few sets at my old high school and only broke the cutting tip once. Turning them can be done but good luck finding someone to turn them for you... just because the holes are chamfered doesn't mean it can't snap the cutting tip on the brake lathe. Most shops don't think it's worth the money to risk the damage to the machine. Same goes for slotted rotors, anything that can catch the cutting tip can snap it clean off.

Aloha

ntsqd

Reaction
Re: Sucess with turning cross drilled rotors?(Stil

It's the same thing as turning an interupted cut on a 'normal' lathe. The difference is that brake lathes are not as easily adjusted to compensate for the interupted cut nor are most brake lathe operators savvy about how to do it.
Try offering to buy the lathe tool insert B4 it breaks.

Dave_G

Reaction
Have someone do them on a fly wheel grinder. It should be no problem. I do all my rotors on my personal vehicles that way. If there are any hard spots in the material the grinder will deal with them better than the brake lathe anyway.

Dave

DougM

Reaction
Re: Sucess with turning cross drilled rotors?(Stil

Thanks guys- my brother in law is a machinist -I totally forgot to even ask him. Hopefully his shops got a lathe or flwheel grinder to do this.

dm