• Forum membership has its advantages....

Suggestions on 4x4 prerunner?

ATRacing

So, looking through the CLASSIFIED Ad thread, I notice BHOLLANDER'S remark that he is building a low budget 4x4 pre-runner, easy for parts etc. Brandon, I would love to hear more about your ideas and plans, as I think that a reliable 4x4 pre-runner that allows you to scout difficult areas rather than just haul the mail through the section is very beneficial.

Personally, I would like to set up something 4x4, preferably with a closed cab so that you can mark and map more comfortably, I am thinking three seats, fully caged, 37 or 39 inch tires, and a strong without being excessively expensive 4-wheel drive system, perhaps I-Beam from a bronco or F150.
As a base, I was thinking starting with an extended cab 1997ish F150 and chassis, however also thinking that an earlier 1980's F150 would have a much stronger chassis to start with.

I get it that " low budget" span some very different ideas, however I would love to hear any suggestions, any do or don'ts or see any past or future projects.

Thanks
Andrea

retroblazer

I’d put a plug in for one of my sponsors, Fortify Off Road that makes a nice kit to install a radius arm/ coil over kit to replace leaf springs on square body Chevys. Simple and reliable. 15-20 inches of travel in front with a straight axle.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

ATRacing

Thanks for that. Looks interesting? Does the kit run desert too, or mainly rock crawling?
Do you think that a blazer is a little short for a good desert prerunning vehicle?
Does it have same wheelbase as Bronco?

Thanks
Andrea

retroblazer

Thanks for that. Looks interesting? Does the kit run desert too, or mainly rock crawling?
Do you think that a blazer is a little short for a good desert prerunning vehicle?
Does it have same wheelbase as Bronco?

Thanks
Andrea
A k5 Blazer actually has a couple of inches of more wheelbase. Their radius arms kits are more for speed than rock crawling. There are literally hundreds of short wheelbase Bronco prerunners in use, but I would think about using a short wheelbase truck to be able to carry more fuel and spares. One bummer with any fully enclosed car is dealing with leaky or stinky fuel containers.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

momalley

My Tundra in the classifieds, it has what you need and I could be talked into delivering it to La Paz.

ATRacing

Momalley what is the link?
RetroBlazer, I agree, that is why I was think of an extended cab or crew cab, if that doesn't make it too heavy..

AZFR8TRAIN

I know exactly what you mean about not blasting through the rough at race speeds. Why I built a 4x4. There are lots of kits. And a lot of people have plenty of knowledge on how to make things work. I of course say a Ford f 150 super cab truck. Lol. Mine us a 1993 so 92 to 96. Older cheaper trucks with good kits out there I have several GIANT parts and Geoff is a great guy the owner. Curt Leduc broncos are famous Prerunners for Baja as well. You do have more lockable storage in those but I’m just a truck guy.

Zambo

If you want a good 4x4 prerunner that is easy to get parts for, can go at a pretty darn good clip, won't get stuck anywhere and can go all over the place, is easy to support and has cheap spare parts, then get a UTV. Some of the biggest names in racing have been or are starting to use UTVs extensively for prerunning. Don't be surprised when you're out in the desert prerunning and Rob Mac or Larry Roeseler comes down the trail in a RZR or similar. I think folks who haven't tried them would be surprised at how many miles you can cover in a day and how easy it is compared to a truck to go scouting around, looking at different lines, etc. I know when I used to prerun in my truck I was always looking for the easiest, cleanest line but in my CanAm I deliberately aim for the steepest, siltiest, nastiest, most rutted-out line so I can check it out and I never worry about getting stuck.

BarrelRoll

then get a UTV...
I was just going to post up get a golf cart. A stock or close to stock RZR makes a great prerunner, they are dirty cheap compared to building a truck, prep is easy, and parts are in stock at your local dealer. There's times I think I've spent more time working on a prerunner in Baja than it was actually prerunning the course.

[QUOTE="BarrelRoll, post: 1810357, member: 8795" parts are in stock at your local dealer.[/QUOTE]

A MAJOR consideration.

JIM BORDEN

Hey Andrea! Met your crew bringing the TT up to Ensenada today in Loreto. Good dudes! Bueno suerte mi amigo

Josh 8

IMG_1725.JPG
IMG_1741.JPG

Bronco.

Just finished perrunning from Ojos Negros to the finish and driving it back to Ensenada. Free styl'in. Meaning no chase crew.

It went like this. Ojos to Sf, Sf to bofla, bofla to San Ignacio, San I. to Loreto, Loreto to the the finish. Five days.

28 mph average.

It's all new even though it doesn't look it. Kings, Deavers, race c6 trans, grand national floater rear, aluminum heads, carb, no computors and Montana plates.

3 Amigos Racing

www.jeepspeed.com spec Cherokee 4x4 will do anything you need. Cherokee used parts are plentiful in US and Baja. Maybe throw in a race on it too. I have 3 buds pre running Baja now on 4x4 Jeepspeed Cherokees.

johndjmix

Been pre running the course the last few days. Ran up from San Felipe yesterday, and today ran from rm20 to the military check point.

Did it all in my 2018 raptor, brand new, 5,000 miles on it. Obviously your not going to buy a raptor just for pre running. But if you have access to one, it works. Mine is Basically stock, Just brenthal spacers on the struts, a rigid light bar, some rear red/blue dust lights, VHF, arb fridge. And a few mounts I️ built into the bed to hold the fridge and gas cans.

Last few years ran a bunch of the course in my ‘14 raptor. They ain’t no TT but it’s impressive the stuff these trucks can handle and still drive us to the movies with the GF on Sunday.

Obviously not a cheap pre runner, but if you use it as a daily driver, it works out. Drive it to work every day, hit the trails after work a few nights a week, and use it to pre run. One vehicle for all of it.

IMG_1191.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

mrmatt

Broncos do make some good multi purpose pre runner rigs....the ability to keep things locked up is great...u do sacrifice storage space tho keeping the 4 seats. You make them handle well on a budget and there are kits for them to make them simple to do Solo motorsports has alot available.
The wheel base is the obstacle if u want go fast. But theynxan be made to do that also if u want. I have driven and ridden in many variations of broncos from mild to wild and they really seem to be a good platform for a mexico pre runner.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk