• Forum membership has its advantages....

SUIT TO FILED by PEER to END OPEN-RIDING AT OCOTILLO WELLS

baja_racer

An environmental group has filed a lawsuit to close down all open riding

at Ocotillo Wells SVRA.

Please join in with off road enthusiasts who are banding together to fight this proposed closure.

An informational meeting will be held this Thursday,

May 30, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. in Santee CA
The Ranch House Restaurant, 11510 Woodside Ave, Santee, California 92071

For more information and to invite all your Facebook friends visit the Facebook page

Fight for Ocotillo Wells OR LOSE IT!

Sponsered by S&S Off-Road Magazine

ciscokid8

I just looked these guys up on Facebook and their website...they place pictures of a Sandrail and 3 guys on dirt bikes with: Off Shore Oil drilling, whaling, dead mountain lion, debris in a creek, graffiti, tractors dozing etc etc. What propaganda!

El Mamito USMC

no wonder we love MX so much... and any other state exept CA...

ill check the Fb pages as soon as im out of work..

El Mamito USMC

other thing guys... pass this info to any other forum that your member of..

JPBart

Can someone please fix the title? I'm sure they are monitoring it and laughing at the bad grammar. That and it bugs me...

ADTR14

Funny how threads about water/mud and being a cry baby can get 40+ pages and ones like this, with real issues can barely get 3. Absolutely pathetic. And people wonder why we keep losing OHV areas...

Dezsurfer

You can Google PEER & see they are some little group in NorCal. Shouldn't be to hard to find them in that small town & string em up like a deer...

rallyorg

I have put on my FB page about the lawsuit and asking the rally community to sign the petition for the 100,000 signatures needed to stop the lawsuit.

Denise McMahon
Series Director
Bilstein Southwest RallyCup Series presented by Lucas Oil

NIKAL

GOOD NEWS!!! http://arc.asm.ca.gov/member/AD71/?p=article&sid=431&id=255589

Its one big step but far from over.
If you have yet to join this group please do so. We need all the support we can get!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FightForOcotilloWells/?fref=ts
I had spoke with Brian Jones office a few weeks ago about this group "PEER" and their efforts to close Ocotillo Wells. Brian Jones family are OHV users. I knew he would not support PEER and he would be vocal and supportive of the Ocotillo Wells riding area. Last year I spoke and informed Brian of his Yes vote in regards the the UTV law AB159. After speaking with him he was very upset with how AB1595 was passed, as he and all the other OHV supporters were not made aware of what they were voting for. I'm pretty sure Brian will stay on top of the Ocotillo Wells issue and we will hear more from him regarding this.

aphantomduck

After speaking with him he was very upset with how AB1595 was passed, as he and all the other OHV supporters were not made aware of what they were voting for.
With all due respect to you, please allow me to provide some facts about AB 1595.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I see in the history of AB 1595 is that Assemblyperson Jones vote Aye to the same.

So I'm having a bit of a difficult time with Jones providing he was "upset" as it makes it appear that he was unaware (he or staff did not read the bill) of what he was voting for.

For the record, AB 1595 was hand delivered to the OHV lobbyist for most of the OHV groups and ORBA - Terry McHale the day before the bill was introduced. Fred Wiley from ORBA was brought into the OHV Division and given a briefing on the bill.

Terry McHale wronged the OHV groups by not making them aware. ORBA was wrong by not sharing the information. I suspect that ORBA had good reason to not share. Take a look at their Board of Directors.

AB 1595 had no recorded opposition and passed both the Senate and the Assembly without a single "no" vote.

NIKAL

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I see in the history of AB 1595 is that Assemblyperson Jones vote Aye to the same.

So I'm having a bit of a difficult time with Jones providing he was "upset" as it makes it appear that he was unaware (he or staff did not read the bill) of what he was voting for.

AB 1595 had no recorded opposition and passed both the Senate and the Assembly without a single "no" vote.
Yes I know Assemblymen Jones voted Yes for AB1595 as did every other Pro OHV Assemblymen. This is why Jones was upset. From what he and a few other Assemblymen told me. This bill was originally written as a tax bill. When Paul Cook was asked by ROHVA to author a UTV bill, Cook took what was considered a "Lame Duck" tax bill and changed it to be what we know of as the UTV bill. It was bundled with multiple other "Non Argumentative" bills, and those bills get bundled together, and get voted on as a package. What Jones's office told me is, because there are so many "hundreds of bills" his staff looks at who authors them, what party they are affiliated with, what relationship the Assemblymen might have with the Author of the bill, and the staff notes how the Assemblyman should vote. So when these bundles hit the floor for a vote the Assembymen knows how to vote.

Now this is what I was told, and this could be wrong. But both Jones & Donnelly's offices said about the same thing when asked how could they have voted YES on this.

Anyways this is now about fighting to keep Ocotillo Wells open and I'm glad Brian Jones has sent a letter voicing his feelings and he is ready & willing to support the OHV community and fight to keep Ocotillo Wells OHV area open.

aphantomduck

Yes I know Assemblymen Jones voted Yes for AB1595 as did every other Pro OHV Assemblymen. This is why Jones was upset. From what he and a few other Assemblymen told me. This bill was originally written as a tax bill. When Paul Cook was asked by ROHVA to author a UTV bill, Cook took what was considered a "Lame Duck" tax bill and changed it to be what we know of as the UTV bill. It was bundled with multiple other "Non Argumentative" bills, and those bills get bundled together, and get voted on as a package. What Jones's office told me is, because there are so many "hundreds of bills" his staff looks at who authors them, what party they are affiliated with, what relationship the Assemblymen might have with the Author of the bill, and the staff notes how the Assemblyman should vote. So when these bundles hit the floor for a vote the Assembymen knows how to vote.

Now this is what I was told, and this could be wrong. But both Jones & Donnelly's offices said about the same thing when asked how could they have voted YES on this.

Anyways this is now about fighting to keep Ocotillo Wells open and I'm glad Brian Jones has sent a letter voicing his feelings and he is ready & willing to support the OHV community and fight to keep Ocotillo Wells OHV area open.
Yes, its great to have Jone write the letter.

The cold, dark facts are that the state must respond to the lawsuit. I've not yet seen that response. Once this happens, we will have a better idea of how to proceed.

I took a quick look at the lawsuit when it became public and my initial though is that the enviro's may indeed have some solid legal footing for this lawsuit. The laws and resultant regulations initiall seem to support the allegations.

It very well may take a friend like Jones to introduce legislation to allow OW to be managed like it is today and in the past.

Stone Crawler

With all due respect to you, please allow me to provide some facts about AB 1595.

Correct me if I'm wrong here,

Fred Wiley from ORBA was brought into the OHV Division and given a briefing on the bill.

I do not believe this was the case Steve. Please drop me an email regarding your source if you care.

Edit] just verified that your information is absolutly incorrect. Fred Wiley from ORBA never met with anyone at division concerning AB1595.

aphantomduck

I do not believe this was the case Steve. Please drop me an email regarding your source if you care.

Edit] just verified that your information is absolutly incorrect. Fred Wiley from ORBA never met with anyone at division concerning AB1595.
Jeff... since this issue is not about you and I'd like to keep the calm that has developed between us lately, may I suggest you have Fred post to this thread? More to the point, I have no issue with you on this AB 1595 subject and would hope we can move forward with the JV issue that both of us have worked very hard on.

FWIW, I contacted my source(s) on what I posted here (for that matter, I posted this on many different forums since about August of last year... so this is not a new revelation) today, just to make sure my memory is accurate and they still stand by my account of Fred being contacted about AB 1595 and encouraged him to "get the word out" during the legislative process, after the bill was introduced.

I will not publically or privately disclose the source(s) of this information so that I honor their wish of non-disclosure so that they don't lose their job.

I think Jeff, that you can appreciate information given in a political setting, when the source is giving you a "heads-up", but does not want their name disclosed.

Have a great day. :)