hammer

Reaction
3rd Annual Summit Golf Tournament
Singing Hills Resort - El Cajon, CA
Friday, April 19, 2002
Registration 11:30 a.m.
Start 1:00 p.m.
Dinner 6:00 p.m.

4 man team scramble, with 3 contest: Long drive, closest-to-pin, and hole-in-one.
Dinner * Drinks * Prizes * Contests * Raffles

For more info contact:
Bruce Conrad (310) 603-2200
Judy Smith (760) 868-5694
Mike Julson (619) 562-1743
Mike Cohen (619) 691-9171

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Matt, Can we get a little background on what Summit has done and is currently doing. Is it the Summit that was formed to better the sport of off-road? What is the cost of the tournament? Thanks.

A man is not finished when he is defeated,
he is finished when he quits.
-- Richard M. Nixon

mgobaja

Reaction
I know the cost is $ 125 per player and it includes : Dinner and Drinks, Entry to tournament. Last year SUMMIT donated most of the earnings from the tournament to CORVA's legal fund. Hopefully the money will assist them in keeping the areas we love to race in open for future use. It was a lot of fun and there were some great raffle prizes given away the last 2 years.

MNotary

Reaction
Looks like golf. Anyone see a rule book lately?

OK, bad attitude. I will try to do better.

Snmiedo

Reaction
John,

SUMMIT is a dedicated group of volunteers that have been working to raise monies to keep our desert recreation areas open and provide a communication conduit for racers, sponsors, promoter's, crew members, and enthusiasts.

This is our 3rd tournament where last year we had over 72 golfers and finished the day with an excellent dinner and tons of great raffle prizes. We are hoping this year's event to be just as successful as we have support from Race Ready Products, F&L Racing Fuel, Jimco, Imperial Iron, Mendeola Racing, Fortin Racing, McKenzie's, RPS, Porter Race Cars, The Corky McMillin Companies just to name a few. However, we need support in attendance by the community! Even if you don't golf, either give it a shot (no pun intended) as it is a best ball 4 person scramble, and / or come to the dinner for $25. At the least, it is a fun and great way to meet many racers and enthusiasts away from the sometimes tense racing environment.

I have attached an entry form for the golf tourney and I will also post the letter that went out to the industry seeking sponsorship and raffle support. Please feel free to call me at 619-691-9171 or e-mail me if you have any questions or are interested in sponsoring a tee (there are still a few left) or donating a raffle prize.

Hope to see you ALL there!

Best regards,
Michael Cohen

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Snmiedo on 04/10/02 11:32 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Vessels

Troublemaker
Reaction
I'm interested but I cant make this one. Let me know if you do any more in the future. Thanks

Donahoe

Reaction
I personaly would like to know one thing positive besides a nice round of Golf with some race buddies That summit have done for the sport???????????????????????? Love to see an Effort. But forward motion would be nice too.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

MNotary

Reaction
OK Kreg. I didn't want to go that harsh. I should have said RACING rule book. I think Summit is just some friends with good intentions. When they first organized I thought it would change off road racing. Legitimize it, unify rules, increase car counts.... all the good stuff. At least they are donating to a good cause.

Donahoe

Reaction
I dont mean to get off on a rant here BUT I think I'm just basically Pissed with my 250.00 T-shirt and Summit Sticker... I Wish we all knew what is happening with summit. Summits aggenda has been pushed further back then loose change in a shuttle launch. Thats all... Alot of us contributed to what we thought would be a Great thing for the sport and yet we have not herd one positive contribution to making off-road racing better? I understand that Summit has some people on the board of directors that date back to hairy, slop forheaded men, racing across baja with stone tires. For that they earn my respect as individuals in the sport. ANd I also Understand that these people have Real jobs and that being a LEADER in this SPORT takes LOTS of time away from that. But to take the hard earned money from all of us to build some kind of elite weekly circle jerk, bench racing think tank is unexcusable. Now I could be WAY off base here and Summit might be doing things behind the scence that none of us have herd about But if thats the case WHY HAVENT WE HERD ABOUT IT???? Inform us... The Comment in the post above that summit is raising money to keep the deserts open started me off. Where is the money going? What part of the desert are you keeping open. Funny how Paige nor I have ever seen a summit member at a CORVA MEEETING or a BLM meeting??? Why is that? So Please Dont take this as I am Attacking any Personal Member of Summit or the IDEA of Summit. But I AM ATTACKING WHAT IN MY VEIW SUMMIT HAS BECOME.... LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GET OUT OF THE WAY SUMMIT!!!! Just my personal opinion... I could be wrong.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
I thought Summit went by the wayside? Guess not!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

MNotary

Reaction
What is that saying? "Truth hurts"..."Call it as you see it".... "Call a club a club"...

I think the "stones" and "bench racing" comments is about it. And $250... a drop in the bucket to these guys...

Somewhere there are people in the automotive field that this is their job. But you know where off road is used? BITD for testing. The other classes just make it seem like something. The Ford rep is killing it (doing very well) here.

Why does this really set me off?

Snmiedo

Reaction
Just one thing Kreg? Last year's tournament profits allowed us to make a $1,000 donation to CORVA'S Legal fund to help keep our desert's and recreational areas open. Is a nice round of golf with some friends, both new and old bad? I didn't think so, so that would be at least 2 good things that SUMMIT has contributed to the sport.
"Forward motion" is great and certainly desired by most competent people. SUMMIT is a volunteer organization Kreg, and by being such, the meetings are OPEN and you are and have always been welcome to make constructive suggestions. Did you receive an entry form in the mail? Will you be able to make it? Hope to see you next Friday.
Best regards,
Michael Cohen

Donahoe

Reaction
Well thats super. I mean Super. $1000.00 bucks is Great. The membership fees must have went to coffe huh? Volunteer means you dont get paid... Not that you work less. As far as the meetings go you might want to check on that becuse Last time I check they are invitation only. But I think I will make it out to golf. I might bring some other Summit members that have questions as well. And if I sound pissed or That I'm Rocking some Sacred Boat its Becuse I am. Summit is a GREAT IDEA... But THAT IS ALL IT IS. Untill someone steps up and ACTUALLY does something Like Put together a untied rule book. Or hire some biologest to fight the tree huggers. Or gets a marketing plan together for a TV package... OR ANYTHING... Summit is just as I listed it in my last post. I'm ROCKIN the BOAT!!!!! Push me off and row baby row. I will cheer and support you to the end. But 4 years later and 3 golf matches dosnt impress me. I can name lots people who have done more for the sport in there free time then summit has done collectively with more people and membership fees. Now if I'm wrong by saying this tell me and I will stop. I DONT want to take attendance away from the Golf thing. If its going to help the sport by all mean go. And Corva is a GREAT help to us.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

jeff

Reaction
Not sure what last years entry fee was...

72 x $125 = $9000
Less ----------$1000 <- Defense Fund

What was the rest spent on? Besides
the course rental and clubhouse food &
drink charges, where did the rest go to?

Aloha

MNotary

Reaction
I am with you. Anything I can do to help on a rule book let me know. Summit is just a name.

martininsocal

Reaction
I won't attack members of SUMMIT because they are volunteers and time can be tough to come by..but...I have corresponded with Mike Cohen about some ideas. A racers union is what is needed to help steer the sport where hopefully, the future can be brighter. SUMMIT made one big mistake from the get go, they through their marbles in SCOREs basket without even looking into what they could accomplish. Saving race areas? Tell me which current open area is under attack that SUMMIT has been involved with the saving of it? As it stands right now, none of the areas being used by SCORE are under attack by the governing federal agency overseeing them. And besides, while I appreciate all the help we can get in the land use battles, that was not exactly the intent of SUMMIT in the beginning. The RACE PROMOTERS who administer and proffit from these races and race areas should be at the tables doing the fighting, it is their livelyhood at stake. have yet to see SCORE, MDR, MORE at any wemo meeting. I know FUD has battled down in the superstition area, but he is fud and he does it for love of the sport and its participants, not because he is getting rich or signing a big deal with a truck manufacturer, chamber of commerce, etc...

The racers need a voice and SUMMIT as of right now, is the only possible united voice of the inmdependent racers, but it isn't doing anything with that privelage. Keep up the fund raising, but understand that the splintering has begun with all the little pro groups.

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

MNotary

Reaction
And now is a good time to put all those "PRO" groups together. The leaders in those groups would make a great....

I never understood why SUMMIT came out like they were going to save the world and then end up giving a $1000 to CORVA. It seems a little embarrasing, considering the "names" involved.

Snmiedo

Reaction
Dear Mr. Notary and Mr. Donahoe,

EMBARASSED? I DON’T THINK SO! I have had enough of your and Mr. Donahoe’s half-baked and un-warranted remarks about SUMMIT’S lack of accomplishments and the libelous accusations that there is some sort of shell game going on with SUMMIT funds.

First of all, SUMMIT is a NON-PROFIT organization and no one, including board members, receives ANY compensation whatsoever. Therefore, it is run under strict United States Treasury and Internal Revenue Service guidelines. Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no Summit-Gate! All of our time is offered to support the sport that we all love so much. As a matter of fact, most of us drive a few hours each way from our jobs and families for meetings, and the gasoline, mileage, and vehicle wear and tear for those drives are not compensated for either.

Your comments are out of line and to make matters worse, are destructive to the very efforts that are trying to help our sport. However, it is obvious that you are passionate about the sport and we need that passion, from you and everyone else that has an interest in keeping our sport and moving forward.

If you are going to criticize, be constructive and / or offer a solution, don’t just bitch. Contrary to previous accusations, SUMMIT is not some elitist “country club” group of off-road racers. It is for any racer, chaser, sponsor, manufacturer, journalist, enthusiast, etcetera that is interested in bettering our sport and progressing forward. In fact, that is what SUMMIT is all about, “For the Betterment of the Sport.”

Let me be the first to state that SUMMIT has not done a good job of publicizing its efforts and accomplishments. Is this something that you could help us with? Remember, we are volunteers and need help. In addition to last year’s CORVA donation, some of the things that SUMMIT has accomplished are as follows: printed and distributed trash bags to promote desert and pit cleanup, helped SCORE acquire a 4 wheel vehicle to satisfy the Mexican Department of the Interior’s (Mexico’s BLM equivalent) demand prior to a race, helped organize Class 1 and Class 10 rule discussion forums, spent months researching the feasibility of both liability insurance for both racers and team members in either group or individual policies, awarded $500.00 cash contingency prizes at 6 races to promote interest.

A united rule book, lucrative television package, increased car counts, higher prize monies, and united “Pro” groups are just some of the many things that SUMMIT has discussed and tried to tackle. Unfortunately, apathy, lack of participation, and negative attitudes has really held us back from accomplishing the aforementioned goals. However, with participation and dedication anything can be accomplished.

So, let this be an open invitation to everyone interested in making our sport better to come out and golf, socialize, join us for dinner, discuss ideas etcetera. If you can’t make it, get involved somehow. E-mail me (racerxms@adelphia.net), write, phone, fax, send smoke signals or a carrier pigeon, SOMETHING! What goals do you have for the sport? How do we get there? COMMUNICATE, get involved and let’s all make a difference!

Best regards,
Michael Cohen