• Forum membership has its advantages....

Super Charged Trophy Truck?

Jerry Zaiden

This is something we have talked about doing for years. If this works it is a huge game changer as the cost will go way down to have a competitive race engine in the TT class. Kudos to Danzio for putting in the work to do this!

6100 trucks with stock LS3 engines and 340-350 hp to the ground are finishing in the top 10 overall in the largest fields of race trucks (Parker and Mint) so if these engines live ( I am sure they will) it will be a game changer.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
So was RPM the only team allowed to try this?

Clearly, they didn't make it over night so why not give others the opportunity to do the same?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

bobsson

This is something we have talked about doing for years. If this works it is a huge game changer as the cost will go way down to have a competitive race engine in the TT class. Kudos to Danzio for putting in the work to do this!

6100 trucks with stock LS3 engines and 340-350 hp to the ground are finishing in the top 10 overall in the largest fields of race trucks (Parker and Mint) so if these engines live ( I am sure they will) it will be a game changer.
I could have sworn somewhere I read the LS3 6100 engine was upwards of 450 which would put them in the 410 to the ground range or higher if that engines got more power than I remember.

Dezertpilot

I could have sworn somewhere I read the LS3 6100 engine was upwards of 450 which would put them in the 410 to the ground range or higher if that engines got more power than I remember.
40hp loss through the drivetrain? I don't believe that at all....

Jerry Zaiden

They are rated at 430hp, they get around 480. They make 340-350 to the ground. You lose way more hp through an automatic than 40hp.

johndjmix

I also didn't think there were any motor rules in TT. We are talking TT here right? Not 6100?

--John

Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

Slippery P

There are only engine rules in SCORE, no forced induction. Even with this trial it's still limited to the LT4 platform.

ACME

What I don't get is why allow forced induction on a limited basis? This is Trophy Truck, unlimited truck? If they allow forced induction it should be in an unlimited fashion! Let those who push the envelope too far crash and burn.
Only a few handful of the drivers racing in the class are truly qualified and competent to handle the current format of the trucks on the edge.

Since there is no qualification required to own or operate an unlimited vehicle and given the fact the sport has a lot of ego and that the herd follows the 10% that are competent: It would seem the additional speed and horsepower may not be what is needed considering almost half the unlimited fields have issues and the nature of the open course format unlike a closed course event, might need a reality check from a speed/safety perspective.

Maybe it's time like a lot of the other top echelons in motorsports, that people start considering injecting a little reality, safety & common sense into it.

Sorry, just not a fan of the idea: " Let those who push the envelope too far crash and burn."

Flame away...

Short Bus

Heat soak is the complaint you hear about from the Corvette guys that road race these. Is that something that can be fixed or is that an inherent problem?

Slippery P

Supercharging is a much better choice for desert racing than either turbo or NA.
I agree with this statement as far as NA goes. But supercharger being better than a turbo is arguable in my opinion.

Dezert00Taco

The truck we are currently building will be running a supercharger and we will be racing it in the TT class. It is a built 418lsx with a magnuson heartbeat supercharger. A builder around here just tuned a similar motor recently and it did 870/840 and that is running low boost. Hopefully we will be out there running in the near future to really see what it can do.

traxiii

When I saw the title I was thinking EcoBoost, but them are turbos. I know SCORE has let them (Ford) run in Stock Fullsize class.

bobsson

Supercharging is a much better choice for desert racing than either turbo or NA. Bottom end torque is king for coming off the corners.
Have you seen the dynos off modern turbo engines? Some hit peak torque below 2000 RPMs and keep up 80% of max torque until 5k or so.

Slippery P

Im assuming you can't just run it right out of the crate. I have found new crate motors for $20K.
Yes this engine is being ran right out of the crate, with the exception of an ATI 5% crank damper assembly, and a Life Racing ECU with Danzio harness.