• Forum membership has its advantages....

Super Charged Trophy Truck?

Dezertpilot

Yes this engine is being ran right out of the crate, with the exception of an ATI 5% crank damper assembly, and a Life Racing ECU with Danzio harness.
Someone enlighten me but why does a stock engine need a Life racing ecu? Why can't you run the stock ECU if the motor is indeed stock? Seems like adding a dry sump setup would be more beneficial (if it is wet sump from the factory )

Slippery P

The Life Racing ECU is far superior to the Stock GM unit. Operating at a much faster speed and allowing for a much wider range of tune ability. This is very important when dealing with a boosted application, especially running stock components, the better you can monitor and tune the engine the longer it will last.

BANNED4LIFE

The Life Racing ECU is far superior to the Stock GM unit. Operating at a much faster speed and allowing for a much wider range of tune ability. This is very important when dealing with a boosted application, especially running stock components, the better you can monitor and tune the engine the longer it will last.
Hahahahhahahahahagagag

Dezertpilot

I understand that but does the Life Racing ECU give you say 40+HP over stock? I know aftermarket ECUs are generally superior to stock ECUs but I don't get paying $4-5000+ minumum for another ECU is going to benefit a "stock" motor. If this was a fully built motor running crazy power levels then yeah. So I fail to see where this ECU has that much advantage over the stock ECU for a supposed stock engine.

Slippery P

I understand that but does the Life Racing ECU give you say 40+HP over stock? I know aftermarket ECUs are generally superior to stock ECUs but I don't get paying $4-5000+ minumum for another ECU is going to benefit a "stock" motor. If this was a fully built motor running crazy power levels then yeah. So I fail to see where this ECU has that much advantage over the stock ECU for a supposed stock engine.
Chevy rates the engine at 650hp we were able to get 700Hp 720ftlbs on the engine dyno mainly due to the adjustability of the direct injection which the Life ECU allows. Does that answer your question?

You are more than welcome to call the shop and talk to Chris about the advantages available with the Life Racing units

John F2000

Re heat or fires related to blown motors; a forced induction motor is not necessarily going to be the cause of a fire or excessive heat. HP or energy is directly related to heat. A naturally aspirated 700 hp high compression engine is going to generate a similar amount of heat as the same hp rated forced induction motor. How a particular builder manages that heat in an engine compartment is more directly the cause of any heat or fire issues than the method of generating the hp.

John F2000

What are the pros and cons of turbocharger vs twin turbo?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

The answer to this question in general is best found online, since there are very detailed specific benefits to both. However as it relates specifically to a TT, its the engine packaging that is going to dictate which is the better method in a particular TT build. In most cases the blower is going to be a simpler package to manage regarding space. Hanging turbos on hand fabricated headers that will take the punishment of a TT application is a bigger project than you might think. You have a more efficient and flexible method of managing boost with turbos than a mechanical blower, ie waste gates versus changing pulleys on a belt drive if you want to adjust for different fuels on the fly. With current turbo designs and fuel management turbo lag is not as big an issue in the dirt since you have so much wheel spin, so the normal argument that a mechanical blower would be better is not as big a deal as say in a drag racing application. However one thing is for sure, both methods, when used with a relatively large displacement engine can be a lower cost and more reliable method of hp than a corresponding Nat aspirated high rpm hp motor.

I have turbo charged trophy truck. It is simply another way to skin a cat. If score is listening, please open the rules so I can run my truck there as well. Costs for building and maintenance are comparable. By current rules you could build a 700 inch big block that makes more power than my engine.

Simply put, I believe it's unlimited truck and if you want to have turbos or supercharger as part of your racing strategy, then I believe it should be allowed. BITD has done it. I have ran it there for two years and I believe that the proof of only strategic advantage and safety is there.

John F2000

I have turbo charged trophy truck. It is simply another way to skin a cat. If score is listening, please open the rules so I can run my truck there as well. Costs for building and maintenance are comparable. By current rules you could build a 700 inch big block that makes more power than my engine.

Simply put, I believe it's unlimited truck and if you want to have turbos or supercharger as part of your racing strategy, then I believe it should be allowed. BITD has done it. I have ran it there for two years and I believe that the proof of only strategic advantage and safety is there.
100% correct, let Josh run Turbos!!!

Jerry Zaiden

I had this conversation with Casey and with Savage years ago trying to make the TT class truly unlimited. Savage shot down the idea and Casey embraced it and was the first to make TT truly unlimited. I am sure Roger and Art are open to the change. We just need to present it to them the right way. They are trying to make the right changes to gain back entries.

We had the idea of a supercharged TT back when we started building our first TT because of the costs. Most said the supercharger would build to much intake temp and would be unreliable. I am excited to see this new stock $12,000 engine out there. Lets just see how it works.

We already have the CAD file from GM and are working it into our new TT design. Stay tuned.

bobsson

I had this conversation with Casey and with Savage years ago trying to make the TT class truly unlimited. Savage shot down the idea and Casey embraced it and was the first to make TT truly unlimited. I am sure Roger and Art are open to the change. We just need to present it to them the right way. They are trying to make the right changes to gain back entries.

We had the idea of a supercharged TT back when we started building our first TT because of the costs. Most said the supercharger would build to much intake temp and would be unreliable. I am excited to see this new stock $12,000 engine out there. Lets just see how it works.

We already have the CAD file from GM and are working it into our new TT design. Stay tuned.
Where did you get the 12k figure from? I would have thought it would be closer to 20 with the added supercharger and ECU.

Dezertpilot

bobsson

Chevrolet Performance 19332702, Chevrolet Performance LT4 Supercharged 6.2L 650HP Engine | Chevrolet Performance

The ad says you still need an ECU, lines and tanks for the dry sump, etc. Closer to $13k though for that engine through Jegs. You are probably right around the $20k mark after all said and done?
Oh, okay. I see where the number came from. On the Danzio site they have a huge range of ECUs and I think the most expensive one is in the 13k range. I don't think they mentioned which one they used. You'd also need all the accessories too based on the pictures in the ad. Still cheaper than some of the quotes I got for a built Windsor when I was looking.

Jerry Zaiden

Where did you get the 12k figure from? I would have thought it would be closer to 20 with the added supercharger and ECU.
Here is the link to the engine for $12k Chevrolet Performance 19332621, Chevrolet Performance LT4 Supercharged 6.2L 650HP Engine | Chevrolet Performance

My point is the cost of the engine. Yes the initial investment will be $20-23k but the replacement cost is low. JUst like in a 6100 truck a LS3 is $6500ish but the initial investtment is in the $18k range with everything you need at the high end. Also keep in mind it costs around $16-20k to just rebuild a TT engine. So to get a brand new engine, super charger, injectors, throttle body, etc will be in the $12k range and you have a used engine you can sell for $8k+

As for the ECU, the stock ECU will work and does but with a LIFE ECU and Danzio's tuning capability you will have a much better package. You are also paying for the initial development and experience.

IMO a real say Dougan's Racing engine would still be much better BUT this engine is the right truck with the right driver can still win. If it can stay together... Thats what we will need to see.

Last edited:

bobsson

Here is the link to the engine for $12k Chevrolet Performance 19332621, Chevrolet Performance LT4 Supercharged 6.2L 650HP Engine | Chevrolet Performance

My point is the cost of the engine. Yes the initial investment will be $20-23k but the replacement cost is low. JUst like in a 6100 truck a LS3 is $6500ish but the initial investtment is in the $18k range with everything you need at the high end. Also keep in mind it costs around $16-20k to just rebuild a TT engine. So to get a brand new engine, super charger, injectors, throttle body, etc will be in the $12k range and you have a used engine you can sell for $8k+

As for the ECU, the stock ECU will work and does but with a LIFE ECU and Danzio's tuning capability you will have a much better package. You are also paying for the initial development and experience.

IMO a real say Dougan's Racing engine would still be much better BUT this engine is the right truck with the right driver can still win. If it can stay together... Thats what we will need to see.
Thanks for taking the time to explain it. It does make a lot of sense when you put it that way to keep costs down.