Super Swamper TSL/SX - any good for hard terrain desert racing?

the frog

Reaction
We run them on our jeepspeed and they work great

how fast does your jeepspeed run?

would it reach 100MPH?

if it does and there are no issues because of the tire being giagonal and hard to balance, then it seems to me it would suit my needs for those hard courses.

BTW, i'm talking about the 38"x12.5"x16.5" tires.

Wild bill

Reaction
I ran the super swampers on a 79 bronco mud racing truck. Worked great in mud. I would easly exceed 100 mph tire speeds at lauch and never threw any tread. I would not recommend the swampers for the desert because they are hard to balance, very stiff and harsh, and would borrow in the silt. Now if baja got 4" of rain the night before a race, I would race them in a heartbeat. The chances of that happens are nil.

Pharaoh XJ

Reaction
yes but we do'nt have those in Israel and they are very expensive to import
from the U.S.

do you have these tires in Egypt?

if you do maybe i'll drop by and get some ;)

No we dont, we dont get BFGs at all :)
looks like I am the one who will be dropping by to get some ATs :p

DustJunkie

Reaction
My car does reach 100mph pretty regularly, and they balance out fine.

The 33x12.50x15 bias ply tsl is 4lbs lighter than the 33x12.50x15 bfg baja radial, on scales, not advertised weights.

lowdownndirty

Reaction
frog how about a list of tires you can get, and then let these guys give you opions on what tire would work out best for you.just a thought.

the frog

Reaction
Dustjunkie - the tires in the pics look in great shape.

are they new?

ever had chunks of rubber fall?

do they wear a lot?

do they provide good grip?

thank you for your patience..... :)

DustJunkie

Reaction
I used to run BFG Baja's and these last longer and hook up way better.

It handles night and day better.

The picture is after 2 races and prerunning. They do start to wear after long races in Lucerne where there are a lot of rocks, but have not chunked or lost whole lugs.

I am limited on my motor with just over 200 hp, so that may be a factor as well.

Jason - RoR

Reaction
this is the toughest offroad tire i know - diagonal, high ply rating, a bit heavy, best in ruts, rocky terrain and really bad ground.

anyone ever tried this tire on a desert racer for very bad and nasty ground that eats up tires for breakfast? :p ?

somehow it seemed to me like a reasonable idea but i would like to know if anyone actually tried it.

Not those SS tires. The hard terrain will chew those up. I ran them on my Ford in s 38" and they were great for the climbing I typically do, however, it is also a chase truck for desert racing and they were not so great on that aspect.

I do run a Super Swamper on my desert buggy though. I am running the IROK ND tires. They are a radial. My buggy is light. It is a Chenowth with a 2180. I have ran these full pedal on rocky hill climbs and open desert. They have lasted a lot better than I ever expected. They are cheap too on the wallet compared to other tires.

If you want a tire that is proven though, you should go with a BFG Projects. Those will the tires you can fully trust.
I took the change at the Super Swampers because I own Reno Off Road Motorsports dba Reno Off Road, so I was able to have them sent over to me at wholesale.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 158

isdtbower

Reaction
If you have the resources, wheel dyno these tires against a comparable offroad specific racing tire. There can be as much as 75 HP given up to those with high windage and "different" build designs.