Superstitions ?

btshannon

Reaction
Our people have had a grudge with chicken for quite a long time now (especially the K.F.C. bucket)

Let me explain: At Ridgecrest a few weeks ago, we were racing the Uff Da car and having a few small problems but, we were in second, only about ten minutes behind with plenty of time left to catch up to the Mini Mag. The Uff Da car was starting to catch up and looking really nice through the main pit area, when things got weird.

Randy looked over to the right and saw someone eating a wing or a leg out of a red and white bucket. He asks me "who is that guy? is he with us? who is that guy?". I said to Randy "relax, he isn't with us, we don't know him, and the car sounds strong. don't worry. it'll be alright". Five minutes later, the engine lost oil pressure, started to smell funny, and then made evil rattling noises. The engine was toast. All because of some dude who was camping next us and wandered into our pit to see what was going on and consumed some chicken.

We plan on sanitizing the whole adjacent area before "The 400".

MikeLeung

Reaction
My superstitions are based in fact....well at least in my mind they are. I forbide anybody from saying the race is over until its completely over.

Examples:
San Felipe...my co-driver tells me that he can smell the ocean and that the finish is close. Minutes later the engine seizes.

Baja...We're headed to the finish line to met the race car...I tell my crew good job and that we got the finish...seconds later the race car calls on the radio saying the right front wheel fell off. We still finished but now no one is allowed to count the chickens until the hatched

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Ya you will NEVER see my baseball leave El Tortuga again!!! We all know what happened last time when I dropped it out the window!!!

Its duct taped in the truck and will never be removed....

martininsocal

Reaction
I had a green class 9 car. The announcer at P.A.S. said over the loud speaker that it was bad luck to race a green car and that no green cars were ever seen at Indy...I won both heats that day and he started calling it the green machine. Superstitions? What superstitions? The only thing I know for sure is if I have "extra money" sitting in the bank, something bad will happen to drain the account!

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Martin, was that a SODA race? I went to one of the SODA races at the PAS back in 7th grade or so. They raced quads, bajas, buggies and trucks. I remember going and seeing Kyle Taylor drive Jason's ( his brother) short course truck and whipping EVERYONE in both heats and the main with no problems at all. That was a fun race, used the whole speedway to set up the track, including the infield.

shrek

Reaction
There are alot of racers that say green is unlucky, but I think green is good. My driving suit is green and I have have won every race that I have raced in it!!!

Green is good!

Shrek

curt

Reaction
Peanuts, nobody in our crew or pits is allowed to have peanuts on race weekend. I don't know why she feels that way but a couple of races ago, one of our competitiors broke a spindle and she was in their pits checking it out and I heard her tell them it was because they were all eating peanuts....I'm not superstitious but the wife just won't have it, never thought to ask why...Curt

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
Since '97, I never go to the track without having at least the following three things: a full box of pop-tarts (strawberry), a big bag of cheese popcorn (Oke-Do-Ke), and at least one full case of beer (Pabst). All three must be unopened when arriving at the track, otherwise it's bad luck.

#817 CORR Stock

martininsocal

Reaction
Yes- that was at one of the short vourse races put on by Vince Tjemland(sp) and crew. That was a cool track to race at, especially at night. The 11 car races there were some of the best. Ask Dennis of 11 brothers fame, everyone had a good time, especially when the 11's were tearing fenders off!

Baja_Seve

Reaction
Brian, you sold us on the fried chicken jinx at San Felipe. When we found out our bike was stalled in Huatamote Wash, I had no idea that fellow rider Rat was casually munching on a chicken wing in the back of the truck!

And Mike we do the same: we never, never talk about what we'll do at the "Finish Line" or "Finish." Just bad ju-ju.

But my favorite: I forbid a certain mechanic from even getting close to us at a Baja race. His mere presence spells doom everytime he shows up.

I guess that's one good thing about off-road racing not making the cover of Sports Illustrated, huh?

Seve

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I Never ever wear a new helmet right out of the box, I let my kids have it, leave it pecariously perched on a tailgate, ect. I have even just plain thrown one. Never wear an unscrathed helmet.

I also never washed my riding socks, bought a new pair every year.

tedmales

Reaction
anytime i get something new like a helmet i toss it onto the ground as a sacrifice to the dirt god, because your helmet is going to touch the dirt, its just if your head is in it, or not.

PLS

Reaction
For years we have kept a small, metal "Guardian Angel" medallion in the car with the following saying on it:" PROTECT ME, MY PASSENGERS, AND ALL WHO I PASS BY WITH A STEADY HAND AND A WATCHFUL EYE." My girlfriends Aunt sent it to us from Wisconsin when she heard what we do for fun. We keep it hose clamped to the roll cage above the driver, and it is mandatory for all drivers and co-drivers to give it a good luck rub at the start of their session in the car.
Pete S.- BOYD RACING

MikeLeung

Reaction
We got the exact same thiing glued to my dash...but its a St. Christpher medal...the saint of travelers. We rub the medal before the start of every race. My co-drivers wife give it to us years ago and its been on every race .car since

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Mine is more of a rule than a superstition. NEVER EAT A DENNY'S GRAND SLAM BREAKFAST BEFORE A RACE....ESPECIALLY BEFORE THE BAJA 1000. I know, I know, why would you do that anyways...well, before the 1995 Baja 1000, I was riding shotgun with Mike Jackobson in the class 5. We went to eat breakfast before the race and he ordered the GRAND SLAM, I tried for the fruit plate but they were out (go figure). I thought, If Mike can eat that stuff before a race, I can too!
I was riding from TJ to just south of San Felipe, approx 322 race miles (RM) than another co-rider was to get in. About RM 60, I started getting sleepy, abdomen cramps, then had a little nausea going on, and by RM 70...RALPH. After that, I felt great. Then came RM 130, sleepy, abdomen cramps, nausea, and RM 140...RALPH. I pretty much had it down to every 70 miles. 10 miles of hell each time but felt great the rest of the time. Turned out to be a little bit of motion sickness and the food (imagine that). Funny thing is, Mike didn't know I was getting sick til RM 210! After puking 4 different times, I managed NOT to get a single bit of it in my Parker Pumper helmet (thank gawd), even after getting stuck on La Rumarosa grade, and a flat tire, which I had to do myself...lazy driver. Needless to say, my wife wouldn't let me in the truck until I took off my race suit which had quite a bit of "content" on the right sleeve. Not one of my proudest moments but I didn't wuss out and get out of the car at the first pit stop, I went MY required distance.

bajaboy

Reaction
Well I hope reveling this one does not keep people away from me !!

I only get my firesuit cleaned once a season ! And never wear a plain white helmet !

Bajaboy

btshannon

Reaction
Chicken-free for this year's "500" Steve?

Obviously. The proof is in the pudding. First place at this year's Baja 500. (class 21, seventh fastest motorcycle)..

Congratulations to all involved.

CanyonMan

Reaction
I haven't been in any races yet but I do go 4 wheeling alot. I have a green 97 GMC K1500 and recently bought a hulk doll to keep as my truck mascot. A couple weeks later I went 4 wheeling with 2 blazers and a Jeep TJ. 1 Blazer broke the front hubs 1/3 of the way in the trail and the Jeep snapped an axle on a flat spot halfway up a fairly gnarly hill. Replacing an axle in the middle of the night on a Jeep balancing on a high lift jack and a wheel and tire isn't a lot of fun, but we managed to do it. Had to pull the Jeep at least 4 times getting it back out cause it could only pull on the front diff. Since then, the Hulk is always going on my 4 wheel adventures.

Dillon

Reaction
Not race related but crazy anyways. My wife is absolutely terrified of purple vehicles. I didn't think of it at the time but her reasoning is that if you see a purple car, it 99% has dents in the sheet metal. I notice it now more then ever, every purple car I've seen since is dented. When she drives, she'll seperate herself at least one lane between her and the purple car. She is fanatic about it too. Craziest thing I ever seen...

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
This is kinda common and extends to Baja Travelers in general.

Always give your spare/leftover Mexican coins to the Cruz Roja (Red Cross) people at the border when crossing back into the US. The thoought is that this assures a safe time on the next trip down south.