Supertrap Bolts

desertracer

Reaction
I was wondering if anybody knows of a bolt that can be run in the supertrap, to hold the plates on, that does not warp with heat or at least lasts for a longer period of time? On our car we have been running the ones that come with the supertrap but after a few heat cycles they are shot and begin to twist or gaul up if you try to tighten them. Is this just a problem that cannot be solved or is there a solution? On a side note, with the supertrap, the more plates you add the more back pressure you get along with torque right? Thanks for the help.

MDR Class 1

WFODAN

Reaction
I have always had the same problem with super traps , so now I just stick with flowmaster . The bolts were always a nightmare . As for the plate question .......... The more plates you add the less back pressure it will have . More plates equal more space between the plates for exhaust to exit decreasing back pressure . If you want more torque and bottom end then you will want to use less plates .

Dan Vance

desertracer

Reaction
Yeah they are stainless, but I don't think they are high quality stainless. After they heat up a few times the go to crap and cannot be tightened or loosened with out bending or breaking the bolt. I'm not a metal geneius, but is there any other type of metal that could be used that might resist the heat a bit better?

MDR Class 1

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
If it is a hardfaced bolt it will lose it hardness as it does the heat cycle, I am not an expert at this but it is what I have discovered, like if I weld a nut in place or use a bolt as a stud it will lose it's hard face and it will take almost nothing to screww it up. Example if you weld a nut in place then use and unwelded bolt the nut has lost its hardness and shrunk, where as the bolt is now at a different rockwell and size chewing at the nut.

For the problem at hand, perhaps
1. Call super trapp and ask what they think. more than likley they will have a solution bolt or will tell you that they are cheap and replace them after every extraction.
2. Hardened stainless or mabey a grade 6 bolt, I believe they are completely heat treated and not just case hardened. Grade 6 is aircraft right, will flex before it will break?
3. up the rockwell go to an F911 bolt
4. CRYO the bolts, couldn't cost that much, and you could get you brake pads done at the same time.

Don't know where you get aircraft bolts but I have seen the hardened stainless bolts at ACE before.
Any one else?

"Everything you do is triggered by an emotion of either desire or fear."

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ACID_RAIN28 on 04/20/03 10:25 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

desertracer

Reaction
I think I might give a call to kartek and supertrap to see what they have to say about it. It's not like it is a huge cost to replace these bolts but it is just a pain when you go to tighten them out at a race or testing and a bolt sheers. We would like to run the thing wide open with no supertrap but I don' t think the blm would like that, it does start to shoot flames. :) If all else fails I might just try to find a higher quality stainless hardened bolt, the supplied ones seem to be pretty cheap. Any vw guys have this problem?

MDR Class 1

Dave_G

Reaction
Find an aircraft fastener company that sells Inconel bolts. That should solve your heat problem. And if you can't find Inconel hardware, go with Monel. Most aircraft exhaust systems use Monel high temp self locking hardware.

Dave

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

desertracer

Reaction
I called supertrap this morning and they didn't have much to say about it. Just said to make sure you use enough anti-sieze(sp) and it should not happen. She said she had never heard of a problem like mine. I'll look into getting some of the higher quality bolts to solve the problem. Thanks a bunch.

MDR Class 1

jcorsico

Reaction
Yes, you can certainly get some aircraft hardware that is designed for high-temp/high-corrosion applications, such as inside a jet engine. They are probably going to be very expensive however.

You can try www.spstech.com. SPS is a large manufacturer of high quality fasteners. You can't buy anything directly from them, but they can give you product information and then send you to a retailer who will sell you the stuff.

Jon

ntsqd

Reaction
I was thinking Carpenter 20 bolts, but that seems like a huge expense for a minimal problem.
Note that the anti-sieze that SuperTrapp supplies is the copper based stuff, not the aluminum based, more common stuff. I had trouble with gauling on some inherited 'Trapps and MISF told me that I was using the wrong anti-sieze. Switching to the copper helped.

TS

I used to swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

ntsqd

Reaction
It is, but it isn't needed on those bolts as they don't get hot enough to require the more expensive nickel based stuff. The copper worked fine for me.

Also, one of the main alloying metals in stainless is nickel. Could cause some problems.

TS

I used to swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.