Suppliers for rear drum aluminum centers

Jacob Wisdom

Reaction
I called around, Lothringer and Folts are no longer producing these. Jamar is making the chromoly center but not an aluminum hat for adapting. Actually the guy I spoke with didn't even know Jamar had ever done anything like that (Don only works on a consulting basis now). Mike at Kartek says there are no examples of "good" drums being produced anymore and that only way to go is junkyard German.

Are there any alternatives that I missed?

elmariachi

Reaction
I called around, Lothringer and Folts are no longer producing these. Jamar is making the chromoly center but not an aluminum hat for adapting. Actually the guy I spoke with didn't even know Jamar had ever done anything like that (Don only works on a consulting basis now). Mike at Kartek says there are no examples of "good" drums being produced anymore and that only way to go is junkyard German.

Are there any alternatives that I missed?

Does anyone have one of these Unicorn turds? People talk about them but just like Bigfoot no one has seen one in the flesh, let alone have one (at leat the folks I've talked to).

Does anyone pics or an actual example of what this set-up consists of? Has anyone run these during a race to see how they hold-up? Doesn't sound like its something too complicated to reproduce even on a home-brew basis.

Last edited:

tapeworm

Reaction
Does anyone have one of these Unicorn turds? People talk about them but just like Bigfoot no one has seen one in the flesh, let alone have one (at leat the folks I've talked to).

Does anyone pics or an actual example of what this set-up consists of? Has anyone run these during a race to see how they hold-up? Doesn't sound like its something too complicated to reproduce even on a home-brew basis.
They are currently on some cars out there. I have the front drums on my 1600 car that are aluminum hat units.
Bill Shapley makes them too is what I have been told.

jon coleman

Reaction
I'd like to live in that world! I think someone needs to travel back in time and bring back the parts we're all told should be plentiful and inexpensive today.
junk yard racing, sooner or later its buuuuby, like srx7 mazda racing, in the 90s junkyard& thrifty want ads were FULL of rx7s, today, fuuugetaboutit

MikeAdams

Reaction
I have a set but are wore out where the hub rides on the spacer, and currently the hub will rub the wheel cylinder. Sucks cause I got all excited when I saw this thread. I'm thinking of machining out an 1/8" spacer but that just sounds like a bandaid to be broke again.

Jacob Wisdom

Reaction
I have a set but are wore out where the hub rides on the spacer, and currently the hub will rub the wheel cylinder. Sucks cause I got all excited when I saw this thread. I'm thinking of machining out an 1/8" spacer but that just sounds like a bandaid to be broke again.

Since no one else seems interested, I'm considering doing a run of these. Could you send me photos of yours as well as the thickness?

Jacob Wisdom

Reaction
They are currently on some cars out there. I have the front drums on my 1600 car that are aluminum hat units.
Bill Shapley makes them too is what I have been told.

I asked Bill, he suggested talking to Folts [so sounds like he's not doing them either]

tapeworm

Reaction
I’m not racing in this class anymore, but always looking to team up with money in hand, but this to me sounds like it’s time to allow disc brakes due to no one being able to find the 5 lug stuff anymore.

time for the 4 lug guys to start their petition against disc brakes and tout 4 lug as the fix to all of this.

elmariachi

Reaction
Anyone know how this set-up would hold-up under racing conditions. Seems like a low cost solution - not too much more expensive than a set of "new" thing rear drums or the aluminum center set-up. I don't see it really providing any advantage over drum brakes other than it might be slightly less weight and offer better braking. They do claim to widen the track by 1 inch overall.

Disc Brake Kit Rear 5 Lug 205MM 1969-1979 Long Axle IRS Fits VW Bug | 405160 - Chirco

1598304379090.png

EDIT: The set-up above says IRS but I think long spline swing axle and IRS are compatible (at least I think so). This set-up is similar to the one above and says it for both IRS and swing axle with the long spline which is what I believe the Thing drums use: Dune Buggy & VW Beetle WIDE DISC BRAKE KIT, 5 On 205mm, Swing & IRS Long Spline FREE SHIPPING | Appletreeauto.com (manufactured by EMPI).

Last edited:

Jacob Wisdom

Reaction
Not sure on those ones specifically. Numerous economical disk brakes options available but I suppose none have had the opportunity to get destruction tested in class 9.

For what it's worth I would support allowing disk brakes but the voting majority did not feel that way and I completely understand why. Even when every last Thing drum has been destroyed we'll still have Type 3 and once those are gone the 4 lug hold up just fine and are lighter. To be honest if I were building a new car I'd probably go 4 lug to save weight.

TSR Brian

Reaction
John Scharf and I bought a couple of these (unused) from Dave F a few years ago and never used them. Not sure, but John may be willing to sell them now. He’s known as Blood, Sweat and Beers on here.

MikeAdams

Reaction
Since no one else seems interested, I'm considering doing a run of these. Could you send me photos of yours as well as the thickness?

I can't get to them until at least next weekend, but for sure will. Not knowing how bad they were, I used them to set my wheel offset with shock clearance so until I can hopefully find another set otherwise I'm still running a spacer which is bad ju ju...

mrmatt

Reaction
Not sure on those ones specifically. Numerous economical disk brakes options available but I suppose none have had the opportunity to get destruction tested in class 9.

For what it's worth I would support allowing disk brakes but the voting majority did not feel that way and I completely understand why. Even when every last Thing drum has been destroyed we'll still have Type 3 and once those are gone the 4 lug hold up just fine and are lighter. To be honest if I were building a new car I'd probably go 4 lug to save weight.

the type 3 is pretty much dried up as well. Last aluminum center type 3 drums I had done were by Folts. I am not aware of folts not doing them anymore but I know I was one of only a couple people who made the switch so they may have scraped machining them

Jacob Wisdom

Reaction
FYI due to renewed interest, Dave Folts is now making the aluminum center drums again. He's already got a bunch of sets pre-sold so get your orders in now before his first run is gone

Jacob Wisdom

Reaction
I don't have photos but I'll ask Dave if he can send me some once the first set is done. They're very fairly priced considering they should just about last forever if installed properly (350 ft lbs of torque on the axle nut)

I happened to have just acquired a few off an old 1600 so no longer am in need myself

Fourstroker

Reaction
I don't have photos but I'll ask Dave if he can send me some once the first set is done. They're very fairly priced considering they should just about last forever if installed properly (350 ft lbs of torque on the axle nut)

I happened to have just acquired a few off an old 1600 so no longer am in need myself

You got a smoking deal!