susp. for 4wd 92 Toy

dunerking

Reaction
I just sold my 91 Toy set-up with the Total Chaos ball joint frt w/SAW ,the rear had Deaver 62" w/Bilsteins, Chaos King Kong streering.Anyways my questions to off-road Guru's is,I just picked up a 92 4wd Toyota and was thinking of doing some up-grading if you know what I mean.Hoping maybe a couple of the heads out there may have some info for me as far as setting up a 4wd Toy and make it hook up.Was looking at Total Chaos or ATS or?Was probably going to stay away from the 62" springs and stick with something closer to stock length?What do you think.Got some cash to start making things happen,let me know what to do.

hit it hard

Tyson

Reaction
Are you going to retain the 4wd? What are you looking to do with the truck (how big do you want to go?)

Look at me, I can fly

Check It</font color=red>

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Sounds like you were on the right track with your last truck. Were you unhappy with it or something?

See ya in the dirt!

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Total Chaos Caddy kit with T100 axles works great in my truck. I used stock springs in the rear with longer shackles and the mounts moved forward on the frame. And I added leafs to the spring pack while taking out the overload leafs.

dunerking

Reaction
For sure want to retain the 4wd,looks like the most I will get out of the Chaos wiil be 12" with the t-100 axles.ATS claims to get the same unless you go with the big money Porsche CV and custom axles.So looks like I will stay with the t-100 axle set-up.I guess with the 4wd a coilover set-up is not a option?Any thoughts on the ATS? This time I want the rear shocks to stay under the bed.To have it handle like Dan's Toyota would be asking a lot but something as close.Thanks for the feedback.

hit it hard

dunerking

Reaction
No I was pretty happy with it,just that when I had the rear susp. done I had told them to keep the bed open(no shock tower),but when I picked it up there was these shock towers sticking through the bed,oh well.I need the bed space to haul around my quad,I sold my long travel sand car and my quad is my salvation,if you know what I mean,if I do this truck up a little maybe this will relieve me of the loose.Thanks for any info.

hit it hard

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
You can run coilovers and retain the 4x4. Not so sure about getting handling even close Dan's yota while keeping the shocks under the bed.

See ya in the dirt!

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Get the Total Chaos Caddy kit....they make it with a uniball upper now too....I have the kit and love it...Had it for almost 2 years and never had one problem with it.

You CAN NOT run a coilover and and 4wd on the Caddy Kit that I can see....because I tryed to do it.

Total Chaos is suppost to be making tortion sockets and adjusters soon I was told because those are the weak link on the Toyota 4wd...so bring extra rear tortion adjusters with you and spare tortion bar because YOU WILL strip one or or break it if you actually drive your truck off road.

I would just go with that kit with the t-100 axles and run a nice bypass shock and be set!

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Sorry, I was thinking he had a newer Taco. My bad!

See ya in the dirt!

dunerking

Reaction
Fish loven those videos,I've got all the heads checking them out.My favorite one is the 2002 Best Of,what happened at the end with those two trucks,pretty sweet!Anyways back to work,so you had the T.C. uniball Caddy Kit,do they make the Billet cross arm for the 4wd,what do you think?What about the King Kong steering?What about the rear end,can I get away with running shocks under the bed?Will I have to run the 62"Deavers or can I run something a little smaller?Thanks again Fish and keep up the awesome video work.

hit it hard

cleartoy

Reaction
Ill chime in.

I reccomend the Total Chaos kit. The T 100 axles will serve you well.

For the back,its up to you. If your a mild off roader, stock springs with shocks under the bed will suit you. If you like to haul azzzzzz then you NEED 62" springs and shocks through the bed to keep the truck in a straight line. But since youve been there and done that and need hauling space I think youve answered your own question. Just tear it up on the Banshee. Timmy Boy makes some nice arms for it.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
That clip at the end of the video was new years 2 years ago where people were jumping and the one truck came up the back side of the jump.....

I have the Balljoint Caddy kit because they JUST came out with the uniball upper. It dosent give you any more travel since you have to limit the 4x4 to 12" anyways....its just a little stronger and then you can be "cool" and say you have a uniball lol.

They do not make the billet crossshafts because you dont really need them on the 4WD its a different design then the 2WD where there is not as much stress on them. I have never seen or heard of anyone with a problem with the 4WD cross shafts.

Total Chaos will be making the King Kong steering for the 4WD in the future they told me but they have been busy with other projects recently.....I have had my steering on the truck since 1992 when the truck was made and its ALL STOCK....I have never had one problem with it. The things that will wear out are the Idler arm balljoint and the pitman arm balljoint. I just replaced mine after 2 years of beeting it with 35's...

As far as the rear you can run shocks under the bed if you want. It will work ok but it will never keep up with the front. I would say run some 62's and do a super low profile hoop in the bed with maybe a removable crossbar or something you can take out to put in your quad and then bolt back in when you get to the desert!

Go Big Or Go Home

Jkrell

Reaction
I have been thinking over a similiar project with my daily driver. For the front I have to agree. ATS doesnt come close to the Chaos kit. ESB also makes a kit and it looks pretty good from the pictures. I don't know of anybody running it though...and I am not sure if he makes a uniball option....though I'm not sure if that is a total necessity. I second fish's suggestion to do something with the torsion adjusters and also the torsion adjuster bolts. I have had some friends who have had problems with these. For steering nobody makes a "steering kit" to my knowlege. Orvacion built a one off idler arm thats pretty cool and relatively easy to build (post some pics buddy). Choas only makes a tie-rod upgrade. Stock stearing will probably last a little while though.

For the rear. I have been thinking under the bed also and NOT running the 62's. because I want to keep the bed clear for bikes and parts. From what I hear you can get 14" of travel out of the rear with the standard bolt on longer shackle and a spring re-work by deaver. Thats enough for me. I say do that, then run a Bilstein 12" shaft 10" inch body shock which I think (checked it with my eyeball) will allow you to cycle the full 14" if set up properly. Throw a hydro bump in the back get the shocks set up right (PETE FABS the man) and you should have a pretty good working truck.

14" isn't 19" like the 62's...but...I only have 14.5 on my race truck and it was enough to take the field at the last race...I dont think you can drive it much harder without more motor. Its about getting it set up right.

One other thing I might do. Put a fuel cell back there behind the rear axle. I am not an engineer but I think that this will help weight distribution overall and take some of the load off the front end and overall help you get the truck working better.

Tires 33 x10.5 a/t or muds - 4:88 gears and a locker in the rear. O yeah...if you really want to beat it couple other things..plate the rear axle or you will break it off at the flanges eventually (this takes A LOT of abuse though) and put solid mounts on the cab and put lock nuts on the bed mount bolts...nothing worse than seeing a bed falling off a prerunner.

Did I leave anything out? Mabye a cage at this point...starting to get pretty fast.

Good luck.

Jon

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Mike runs ESB Fab...he might chime in here but he is making steering kits recently and he might be making one that will work on the caddy kit.....we'll see what he says.

That is the one thing along with the tortion sockets that we are SOL for now....

Go Big Or Go Home

dunerking

Reaction
Fish,right on with the info!On the uniball kit, is the uniball that mounts to upper spindle mount the only difference between that and the balljoint?My last truck had the 62"s and I was trying to stay away from dealing with the fabricator's,trying to find a quality fab guy up in L.A. just plan sucks.Would consider running something maybe a little longer than stock with a longer shackle,would this work?My last truck had a removable cross bar and still would not work with the LT-500 quad,maybe if the tower was right behind the cab and low like you had pointed out,what do you think?That is good news with the steering,that is like a $900 investment!Running 35's wow that is pretty big,what kind of gearing did you run?4 cyl?Thanks again!

hit it hard

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I believe you just drill out the hole on the spindle snout and put a bolt through it....The upper arm is the only difference in the kit. But I am not 100% sure how it goes on but its still all BOLT ON.

Ya I put the 35's on and jumped it a few times and they fit pretty good now....Its the 3.slow V6 but its actually pretty fast....its had some motor work but its still stock gears! One tire fire 4:10....lol

Go Big Or Go Home

dunerking

Reaction
JKrell,thanks for the info,who is this ESB?So what is the option for the torsion adjusters and the torsion adjuster bolts?Fish mentioned that he never encountered many problems with the stock steering,that was running 35's,I plan on running 33's,but you never know.
Now the rear you mentioned longer shackles,where are getting those from?And when you said re-work the springs,I'm guessing you mean stockers?I really want to keep things down under the bed,is it possible to mount a slightly longer spring with the longer shackle without relocating the front or rear spring perches?Will it benefit anything with that set-up?Who is this PETE FAB?
Was trying to decide if I want to spend the money for the bypass in the front or just run a 2.5 King or Bilstien? I was going to probably stay away from the fuel cell for the reason of getting a smog cert.Thanks for the time and info

hit it hard

yotatech

Reaction
i have the caddy kit and am prob going to be setting up the rear under the bed. What my question is, is is there any prob with a 33x10 rubbing at bump with the stock fender, im trying to stay away from glass on the rear for now. Thanks. Colin

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
For now just bring a spare front tortion mount with you cause they will fit either side and goto a junk yard or someplace and get a spare set of rear adjusters and a spare tortion bar to bring with you.

Steering should be good for a while.

You can take your springs to Deaver and they will build a stock replacment pack for you to use. And just get like a 2" lift shackle and you can get about 14" out of them....

If you have the $$ go with a bypass because you will love it.

Go Big Or Go Home

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I ran 33x12.5R15 Mudders with STOCK suspension front and rear....the rear was fine just pull the bedside out a little....for a 10.5 you shouldnt even have to pull it any....

Go Big Or Go Home