susp. for 4wd 92 Toy

drtdevil93

Reaction
if you dont want to move the rear spring mounts, then you cant run a longer spring. you dont want to move the shackle mount back, cause the frame is weak at the end. i take the stock main leaf, and build a spring pack under it. this bolts in to stock mounts, and gives about 12" of travel.

if you want to go long travel and keep the shocks out of the way, there is an option. a cantilevered shock mount. this puts the shocks horizontal instead of vertical. you can also make improvements to the motion ratio, eliminating the need for a bypass shock. and people will think you are cool.

erik

sirhk100

Reaction
Yeah Austin just like you love your bypasses!!! I don't think I've heard a man cry more then you about 3-4 trips ago when you got so pissed that we resorted to cruising the limo!!!

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

dunerking

Reaction
Right on Fish,last time I was at Deaver I dealt with (I think)Jeff,really nice guy,anyways I would imagine that would be stock length springs or can I run something a little bite longer?Where do you get the shackles?From Jeff?

hit it hard

dunerking

Reaction
Erik thanks for the help,If I were to go with the 62" springs and moved back the spring mount would I be able to keep the shocks under the bed and still have more than 12" of travel?The cantilever shocks sound sweet but sounds even more expensive,hopefully I'm wrong.What's your input on the front Total Chaos or ?Thanks for the help starting to get a good idea on what to do.Would like to have something nice to go out and take you guys on.....J/k

hit it hard

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Question, if a lot of you want to run a coil over the obvious problem is that the upper are is in the way, so why hasn't anyone just relocate the rear tube and the mount on the lower arm. You don't nee a jig to do it if you have a spare cross shaft just cut the tube off make a new one that would clear tack it remove the bushing and shaft and weld it up, if it warps with all the heat just get out the torch and shrink what ever side you need to, to move it back into place, so that you counter act the warping.

I would have fiqured that especially you fish would have done this.

Do we have a rule book? A rule book, sir?
You know, a book with rules in it.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I dont get exactly what you are saying to do...Basically you would have to either make a J-arm type upper or something that would clear the coilover off the rear of the arm. To make a upper that would bolt to the stock location and clear the shock it would look pretty funny because the rear part would go WAY back and then bend in and I dont even know if it would cycle correctly.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

Jkrell

Reaction
I stand corrected on the 14" in the rear with stock springs....I guess 12 is all you get....Erik would know much better than I...I would still be happy with 12"...thats just me though...I'm not looking to set any track records with this truck though...just chase and prerun.

On my race truck we just put springs on it that were longer in the rear....the front half of the spring is the stock length and the rear half is extended....then only one pivot needed to be changed and we didn't have to mess with the pinion angle at all. Like I said it was good for about 14.5 " of travel.

I think you can get the bolt on 4wd shackles from downey or fabtech.

apprentice

Reaction
Hey guy's check out www.aor4x4.com they make some really cool, and strong shackles. I used to work there before I came to school at Wyotech. We built the Fireguys Racing 7s truck and we were getting 18" out of the rear I believe with leafs and AOR's custom Bone'z shackles. They also carry all of Total Chaos kits. Their phone number is (970) 263-4300 ask for Randy he'll be able to help you out, he really knows his stuff. They can also custom make any kind of leaf spring with partner Alcan Spring you could imagine. In my opinion a highly superior spring, I haven't seen one fail in any way yet. Just some thoughts of mine, but if you give Randy a call he could help you solve your under the bed problem. They make an under the bed shock mount system that performs really well with 14" travel shocks. Check it out and and let me know what you think.
Shane
I posted an attachment w/ a couple of pics

Happiness is waking up to a job you love

freddy

Reaction
Yes, I also think the ESB kit looks really good.

Does anyone have any experience of it?

Fredrik

dunerking

Reaction
Does anyone have any info or a website for this ESB?So I take it nobody is into the ATS system?A friend of mine has been running those Alcan springs and is very happy with the performance and reliablity.Especially after all the problems he had with the Nationals.It would be nice to pull off 14"-15" of travel under the bed.If I had to run shocks through the bed,can you have the upper shock mount right behind the cab,or would that be to much angle on the shocks?

hit it hard

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.esbfab.com>http://www.esbfab.com</A>

I dont think you could run the shocks that far forward because the fuel tank would be in the way...also they would be at a huge angle.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

dunerking

Reaction
Who is Tommy Boy,and the arms you are refering to,are they for quads.I own a 90 Suzuki LT-500 but would like to hook up some +2 wider arms.Does anyone out there fab quad parts?

hit it hard

dunerking

Reaction
Fish you are the King answer man,thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Was just checking out ESB,some ass stuff.That 5 1/2" set-up is sweet,truck looks like it works really well.After checking them out I think I will probably stick with the Total Chaos stuff just because I have used them before(a little loyality,not like it gets you anywhere),what do you guys think?

hit it hard

jarreptolson

Reaction
Here are some photos of a shock hoop amplified performance made for some 62" springs. They are similar to what you were asking about.

dunerking

Reaction
That set-up there I would settle for!How does it perform,seems like a lot of the fabricator's like to keep the shock mounts just slightly forward of the axle?Do you know what Amplified gets for that set-up?Jarrett thanks for the pictures,looks sweet would go with something like that for sure if it works well.

hit it hard

drtdevil93

Reaction
the problem with having the shocks so forward as that is it has a very unfavorable motion ratio. anymore than say 10-12 inches in front of the lower mount, and as the suspension gets closer to bottoming out, the shock gets softer and softer (the shock doesnt actually get softer, but the motion ratio reduces the shocks compression.) this is obviously wrong. if you have a bypass shock, and you set the last stage wickedly stiff, it will work, but it just isnt the right way to go.

erik

yotatech

Reaction
i believe amplified performance is supposed to be coming out with a kit for the 4wd that uses coil over only with 4wd