Suspension design resources

B.lafrank

I am starting my first full build and I am looking for books, websites, courses, or any source of education on suspension design. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

isdtbower

I scanned the normal "go to" books on suspension. In the end, they helped you understand the terms BUT the content was related mostly to asphalt cars. There are a few things that are not considered big changers but in offroad, they certainly are with big suspension movement. An entertaining read was something like how to set up a RC offroad car. That started to get into it...but those cars are lite and you disregard other items like axle plunge.... But the good guides explain what the adjustments do. At least it gets you thinking in the right direction. Pick one with the suspension you are thinking about. I tried some of the professional discussion sites but there was not much real offroad experience from the comments.

B.lafrank

I scanned the normal "go to" books on suspension. In the end, they helped you understand the terms BUT the content was related mostly to asphalt cars. There are a few things that are not considered big changers but in offroad, they certainly are with big suspension movement. An entertaining read was something like how to set up a RC offroad car. That started to get into it...but those cars are lite and you disregard other items like axle plunge.... But the good guides explain what the adjustments do. At least it gets you thinking in the right direction. Pick one with the suspension you are thinking about. I tried some of the professional discussion sites but there was not much real offroad experience from the comments.
The RC resources do sound like a great potential resource although obviously not directly applicable. Thank you for your help.

jon coleman

an off road race contingency, take LOTTSA pictures, and ask lottsa questions, most teams love to show off and talk about there ideas in suspension& set up, others will just give you stink eye bro

Fifty

I wish there was some resource that explained bypass lay out and why.
(Not clocking them, but travel layout for link vs leaf etc)

im reading all the old posts but the links they reference are all dead.