• Forum membership has its advantages....

suspension design software

Chris_Wilson

The most recent issue of Racecar Engineering had a note about some
design and 3D modeling software for double wishbone (A-arm) suspensions.
The company also has a product for rear 4-link designs. The A-arm SW
looks comprehensive with modeling of toe changes, akerman, roll centers,
scrub, etc. Check it out at http://www.performancetrends.com/SuspAnzr.htm</A>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Looks detailed but could be done similarly on most current engineering dynamics software.

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

BradM

Chris,

It amounts to a simple four bar mechanism. You can write the equations out and solve them simultaneously for the unknowns and plug the formulas into a spreadsheet for the results. I did it in excel and although it was it was a lot of work all it cost me was time and at that point, time was relatively cheap sine I was still in school. The final product wasn't quite as user friendly with the diagrams and windows based format but it was just as effective in all areas.

Look at http://www.rapidline.com</A> as I believe they also make similar simulation programs. It really boils down to time and money. If you have the knowledge to write and solve the equations and you have some free time, you can do it yourself. However, for most people, it is far quicker and easier to buy the software and pay someone else for taking their time to do the work.

"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I downloaded some of their trial software and it is just an excel spreadsheet with the formulas pre loaded into the cells. I think the program is ok for the price but I would have to agree Brad on just using Excel. Excel will solve your simult. eqns or any other algebra, calculus, Diff. Eqs. you want, if you take the time to learn how. I use Excel everyday and it is the hands down one of the most universal numeric programs I have ever used.

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

BradM

I guess I need to read up on excel. I solved them the hard way.

"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein