Suspension experts (video)

sandking

I have a small video of my truck in the whoops in Barstow. I am looking for opinions on how it looks as far as being dialed in. More/less compression or rebound? I know the vid does not show much, but should be enough for an idea of how it works. Thanks, Joey

[url=http://media.putfile.com/Suspension-test]Click here to watch Suspension-test[/url]

johnowhite

Cool video, 3 seater, nice!

Hard to tell. Would be nice to see from the side. Might want to weight it with the proper number of people - 3 instead of 1.

King goes to Barstow and does testing and evaluations to help you out. (I think Fox does too.) Call those guys (your shock manufacturers) and tell them your observations, they can really help you.

Looks like a fun truck!

Enjoy the process!

John

Josh_K

Get the tires to drop out faster. Especially in the rear. I bet your hearing the engine rev and hook alot in the whoops. This because the rear is packing alittle. The tire should be on the ground as much as possible to give you one smooth, uninteruped push. As a rule, the fast you go the faster the wheels need to drop out (less rebound).

If you have alot of shock, like a 2.5 co and 3.0 bypass I would also lighten up the comperssion some internally and close the by pass tubes to give less over all compession. This will make the shock more volocity sensitive. I like this vs position sensitive.

Josh_K

1497 said:
Its hard to tell, but looks like the wheels are filling the holes. Take a video down main, you'll know real quick if its close or not.

I disagree. Start/finish is a terrible place to test. The whoops are to far apart, too smooth and too consistant. Its easy to make a truck handel well there but not handel good in the really nasty stuff. Go to the road crossing that takes you to the college. This is a good spot. The whoops are big, nasty, and oddly spaced. If you can get it to handel well here it will be good.

My 8 truck can hit the jump before the crossing at 75mph and hold it across the road crossing.

WARNING!!! if your truck isnt spot on, this is also a good place to endo too.

sandking

I have 2.0 coils and 2.5 bypass, so you say I need to lessen (turn the adjustment screw out) the rebound on the bypasses?

prerunner1499

IMHO, Im not a trained suspension expert but I have a very good ability of spotting movement in relation to an object. I used to be a certified pro-snowboard instructor.
By the way it looks now, its riding pretty darn good as a whole.
You can easily see the rear end tracking the terrain very nicely, shown by the bell housing bobbing up & down.
The front appears to be skipping the bottoms of the holes slightly, it appears that maybe more rebound is needed?, The front is not bucking up much if at all, so the compression looks decent.
You really wont be able to tell until you get all 3 live bodies in there. The rear will be a little different perhaps better, or maybe more compression would be needed?, and then the front may track the terrain a little more. Without a full weight "race condition test" you really can't dial it in perfectly. IE: Full fuel, spares, bodies, tools, etc..

A good job on the slo-motion frontal shot. A side shot would be nice but unless another moving rig is shadowing the truck, you really cant tell much.

One good way to get side shots is to set up multiple cam users to get a longer side viewing opportunity.
Motor sounds healthy too!!!!

partybarge_pilot

Also, what are you shooting for? How long had you run the truck prior to that video. Most race trucks are a little stiff when you start out and loosen up about 10-15 miles in (or 3 miles in SF).

sandking

This is just a "for fun" truck, and was just looking for opinions on how the suspension looks in motion. Thanks for the replies.

1450-ranger

Dalton8driver said:
I disagree. Start/finish is a terrible place to test. The whoops are to far apart, too smooth and too consistant. Its easy to make a truck handel well there but not handel good in the really nasty stuff. Go to the road crossing that takes you to the college. This is a good spot. The whoops are big, nasty, and oddly spaced. If you can get it to handel well here it will be good.

My 8 truck can hit the jump before the crossing at 75mph and hold it across the road crossing.

WARNING!!! if your truck isnt spot on, this is also a good place to endo too.
I agree on the nasty whoops before the RX/ College loop. Start at the top of main pit and run down you have decent whoops, rollers, big hits, & the little **** at the end.