• Forum membership has its advantages....

Suspension questions

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Ive got a 98 tacoma 4x4 and want to put some type of a suspension system on there, all ive got now is sway-away front coilovers. I dont have a lot of money to spend, but i want to get some type of a long travel (or something) set up. Just something i can take around on the weekends. If anyone knows of what type of rear set up i should do and what else i need to do to the front end, please help me out.

later

rdc

Call up the guys at Camburg! They have done alot with the Tacomas. They should be able to get you all set up.

Shaun

rdc

He's right, Camburg is working on a long travel kit for 4x4 Tacoma's as we speak. In fact they are probably done with it. Look them up at http://www.camburg.com As with everything that Camburg does, this kit is going to rock. I know first hand, they did my Ranger.

Donahoe

hhhmmmmmmmmmm? I dont think they do 4wd do they?
I remember Jerry saying somthing about him being alergic. DO they? I know there 2wd tacoma stuff is great. .....

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Tim

Being modest? I thought that you guys made a kit for Tacomas.(guess its for 2wd) The only thing I'm going off of is what I heard and what I saw on Malibu Dan's site while checking out the get together he is putting together.
When is your site going to be back up? I'm curious to see more about the taco kit. Thanks, TIM

shroom27

i happend to see the 4wd tacoma long travel a couple times when they were in the process of building it. i guess the thing that took a while was the custom lengthend axles. arms, etc. looked really solid! when i have the money i'd like to have them do my front. very, very expensive!

Donahoe

Tim, Malibu dans truck was quazi custom... I didnt make any fixtures... We can build another but its way to expensive to do a lift that way. Ya know what I mean?? I just dont make a "KIT" for the tacoma.. But I know Camburg does and what I have seen looks great.
Peace

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Tim

AHHH, I got it. I thought that you guys were doing something like the camburg set-up that is kinda a kit and kinda in-house and custom. I think that I've decided to just go with the little SAW coilovers for now anyhow. I like the idea of keaping my warranty and those things can be changed out in a matter of about 30 minutes in case I have to take the truck in.
Thanks for the info, Later

actually aftermarket suspenion is more excepted these days. The dealerships that I have talked to told me that if it does not directly effect what happened then it is under warranty. ie: if you install a transmission cooler it leaks and you lose the transmission, your fault, regear the rearend and it goes out your problem not the dealers, it is the same with suspension. My truck full size chevy on 35's has long travel, fiberglass, shock hoops, flaired bed and is still under warranty and I have never had a problem, call a service writer for Toyota at a dealership you would take it too and ask about installing aftermarket suspension and there policy...

Tim

it's worth a try. I'd feel a lot better even just having the coilover knowing that I'm not cheating anybody.
What do you do for insurance? I am about to get a diff insurance co. ,but the normal ones seem to be really strict on it(lifting) and charge you up the $%$^.

Tim

cool, I'll check a few out and see what the policy is. thanks, later

rdc

Here's the deal with insurance...get full coverage on your truck when its stock and keep it going. Lift your truck and if you change insurance carriers make sure you don't have a lapse in coverage. Most insurance companies do not require their agents to look at vehicles (or take photos) that already have comprehensive and collision coverage on them. If you have any questions e-mail me and I'll help you out.

rdc

John - Allstate has no problem increasing the coverage amount on your vehicle (higher premiums), but if your truck is stolen or totalled out they are not going to give you more than current "market value" of a stock vehicle. If your agent tells you that your suspension is covered under your policy, get it in writing.

rdc

Something else to keep in mind is that putting a vehicle back to stock usually will cost far more than back to a modified state. Dealer cost on parts and labor are more than most after market parts & shop rates. You always have a “cash out” option in the case the insurance company has to pay for an accident. I have experienced this before and it worked out great. The estimates for the damages were far more than the cost of after market parts so I was able to better my situation.

Shaun

rdc

I heard a story about a guys new ranger that the dealership told him that more than 3" above stock heighth put way more stress on trans and engine and therefore it was not covered. I think it was something small, but I think this is the b.s. that a dealership may give you.