• Forum membership has its advantages....

Sway a way racerunner shock question

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
What do I have? 18" shocks measure 44.5" eye to eye. I'm getting 49.5" see pictures.

Just curious not sure if they are worth keeping as parts are a pain in the butt to find now that sway a way shocks sold to afe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

partybarge_pilot

Those are Kuster shafts. Those shocks are old, not a bad thing though. Someone probably put them together without the internal shaft spacer. That would make them about that long.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
If I ever use them they will be used on a short course type link set up prolly off the axel so my next issue is finding coilover hardware for them.

I thought they were 16" shocks for some reason and had them for sale and decided to measure the length before the person buying them drove 1.5 hours to me. And that's what I got.

I might have to machine my own coil over kit. Which isn't a huge deal Judy would rather buy a set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCM MOTORSPORTS

Kusters ran an externally adjustable clicker. Thats the slot in the rod end. It ran through the shaft to the piston. There is a piece that bolts onto the shaft and then the piston bolts onto that. Maybe this has been removed and the piston bolted directly to the shaft. Also an option was a stack of Belleville washers on the seal cap. This allowed the shock to extend and stop itself without the need of a limit strap. This was about 3/4 inch tall.
20170108_120628.jpg

MCM MOTORSPORTS

That was an excellent option, sad to see it not dome more often.
Sure was a good option, although it takes up nearly an inch of travel which is why it isn't more popular. Really simple set up of a cup that bolts to seal cap to retain washers in position. I was working on a Porter buggy out at Finke with Kings and noticed the front end wasn't designed with limit straps. Speaking with Brett King about it he said that was a Porter thing. I asked if it creates any problems. He said the shocks could handle it so long as the "C" clip was correctly installed, but it was not the preferred method.

MCM MOTORSPORTS

Simple and easy. Did you grind the slots or can you purchase them already done? What holds them in position? Or do they float on the end of the shaft?