• Forum membership has its advantages....

Sway Bar Wheel Rate

gsuty17

So, I am building a set of sway bars, front and rear, for my old ford prerunner. I am using 1/2 ton chevy torsion bars. I just ran into an issue with the hexes on the ends not being clocked which mean I need to build a new pair of arms.

My question is- will it be worthwhile? My wheel rate for the back bar will be 117 lbs/in (49” active length, 1.140” dia, 18” arm). Front rate is 263 lbs/in (49” active length, 1.140 dia, 12” arm). With zero prior experience these numbers are meaningless. Any idea how this will “feel?”

I know they are pretty small with plenty of lever, but I’m torn between scrapping progress or finishing up and trying it. I’ll only be another ~$20 and a weekend in trying this.

Truck is ~5000 lbs, 24” rear travel, 12” front, 90/10 off road-tuff truck vs street play. Any insight would be appreciated.

IMG_6073.jpg

jon coleman

20$??, i bet it will work fine.me, i spend 200$ and it wont work.but for that amount one weekend is Worth testing it out....

gsuty17

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion. With all the material for the front bar mounts it was closer to $50 haha. The scarce item is time now that I have a toddler running around!!

jon coleman

opps, my math missed the' T ' factor, my racing buddys with kids should get special award...50 is still a cheap gamble on a possible bullseye, then again ive got a few projects that didnt quite work.let us know if it does....