Sweet lil' yota

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Sweet lil\' yota

My buddy just informed me his friend is selling a 2WD '90 Toyota single cab pickup. It has a built 22RE motor, 3 inch body lift with glass fenders in front with 31"s, and it is a 5 speed with 4.88 gears. The guy bought it for $1,000 exactly how it is now, he beated on it and played with it for a while ( owned since beginning of the summer and didn't drive it very much accept to play), and now he is selling it for $600. My main concern is how reliable a built Toyota motor is that has had some mild-medium beatings on it..... Any input on that WFODAN?? Also any help and facts about the other things I mentioned it has will help very much too.

It is not going to be my daily driver but I also don't want to spend a ton every other month or so to keep it running. I think it is the perfect candidate for a 2WD Duffco or Total Chaos kit. How much is the Duffco 2WD kit again?? So what do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiests

bajaboy

Reaction
Re: Sweet lil\' yota

First you might want to check out the body mounts to make sure there are no cracks in the cab , that was a big problem with Toyotas with body lifts awhile back . As far as the suspension , double check everything (do not forget the torsion bars!) , even the steering components .

The 22RE motor "is" the most reliable motor I have ever had ! Do the basics with it , tune up , oil change, and also a compression test . If he never changed the cam it should be a smooth running motor . Also check the head gasket on the motor , for some reason stock Toyotas have junk gaskets that go bye-bye if you overheat your motor . If ya want upgrades for the motor , check out LC engineerings web page !

As far as arms go , I say Total Chaos uni ball !!!!

Later , Bajaboy

orvacian

Reaction

For $600 do you even have to ask? If it runs I will buy it! What's his number?

bajaboy

Reaction

Thats true !!! I'd buy it , those are the trucks you want to beat cause you don't feel bad if ya break it !

Bajaboy

Tyson

Reaction

FIRST thing you do though is pull out that body lift. You will have nothing but problems since that is all it has. You can cage it and strengthen up that body lift but its not really worth it to cage your truck just to fix that.

I would recommend buying it for sure a 600 dollar toyota any day. and there is a ton of stuff you can do to it to make it go a little bit faster. . .one of my sponsors makes cams that work great on 22re's. And my suspension builder wants to make a few more of my front kits that swings 20+ inches.

Look at me, I can fly

Check It</font color=red>

elcaprerunner

Reaction

From what I understand the motor has had a few performance upgrades. Like..... New intake, headers & exhaust, heads, high performance pistons & all that crap, also it might have a cam too, but I am not sure about that....... I can't remember, but I think my friend said he bored the cylinders on it. Anyway, I want to be sure this motor will keep running and be reliable?? From what my friend says, it runs strong and he hasn't had any problems with it since he bought it. What are the chances it was worked on and bored by a quality Toyota shop, or even by a tech at a Toyota dealer if it supposedly runs so good??

Hey Yota 602, how much did your new front end cost? Center pivot points on it right? Is the geometry right on it? How does it work? Have you tested it yet?

H.O.R.E.

Tyson

Reaction

I am hopefully going testing on Friday out to Barstow... we'll see. BUt yes it has center mounted lowers and under the frame rail mounted uppers. It is wide as hell, but I don't like quoting prices over the internet. . .send me a PM or an e-mail at yotapunk@hotmail.com if your serious and we can talk.

The truck sounds good, but don't expect that Toyota did any of the boring. . .that is something that you would have to ask your friend, but an engine shop would do a better job anyway.

Good luck

Look at me, I can fly

elcaprerunner

Reaction

I just went and checked it out about an hour ago, and tomarrow I am hopefully going to test drive it. Here are the UPDATED details of it....... Not an entirely built motor, just headers & exhaust, intake & mass airflow sensor, and a cam. Bajaboy, you say it will run rough with a performance cam in it?? Also, it is a 22RE with an automatic transmission. It needs a grill and front headlights & turn signals, how much will all that stuff cost total? Also, one of the blocks on the bed for the body lift cracked so he took it out and it needs a new block in there, how much will a new block for it cost to go under the bed? The only reason I want to keep the body lift on is so I can put 33"s on it, if I bought it without a body lift I would not put one on just to run 33"s, a cage will go in it soon though so it will stregthen the body lift and anything else that needs to be strengthened. Also, how much are bedsides for it from Hannamen or Trailer Products? As I might be taking the bed off anyway and just putting glass bedsides on it.

H.O.R.E.

Tyson

Reaction

Here. . you seem to be online alot so here are some links that you can check out on your own...

For your body lift question look up www.jcwhitney.com

For your bedside question check out www.bajaconcepts.com

These might help you to find out some prices for yourself.

Tyson

Look at me, I can fly

bajaboy

Reaction

Cams for the 22RE make the truck idle alittle rough , but if your use to driving a truck with a exhaust (like a flow master) it won't bother you much . Honestly I would not worry about it ! You got yourself a killer buy ! Check out the links section , and go to LC's site they got proven stuff for toyotas ! The average price for a pair of bedsides is about $500 ,fenders $135-$150 each ! , hood $150 .

Bajaboy

ESB4130

Reaction

lucky bastard, thats a perfect deal. and i know that you think the body lift should stay, but i dont think i can stress enough that youre better off without it. you can fit 35's on a toyota 2wd if you want. pound your wheel wells out a little and buy a kit thats a little wider, and youll run 33's without rubbing no problem.