• Forum membership has its advantages....

Switch Pros

Rock56

will this work for off road? On a class 8 for example?

SP-8100 8-Switch Panel Power System

tempted to buy a pair of these please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

_

I have seen the product first hand and it a nice product at a fare price. Robert (owner of Switch-Pros) and I spoke at length regarding several next generation software and hardware plans for the product line which will significantly improve the product from its current state. If these changes do come to fruition, they will be worth waiting for.

Two of these in a class-8 would be a very cost effective method of going away from circuit breakers, relays and toggle switches, provided the components have the durability to survive in a true off-road race vehicle.

Be warned, these units need to dissipate a tremendous amount of heat and this will need to be considered when selecting a mounting location.

Rock56

I have seen the product first hand and it a nice product at a fare price. Robert (owner of Switch-Pros) and I spoke at length regarding several next generation software and hardware plans for the product line which will significantly improve the product from its current state. If these changes do come to fruition, they will be worth waiting for.

Two of these in a class-8 would be a very cost effective method of going away from circuit breakers, relays and toggle switches, provided the components have the durability to survive in a true off-road race vehicle.

Be warned, these units need to dissipate a tremendous amount of heat and this will need to be considered when selecting a mounting location.
Thanks a lot for your quick and objective response. We will go ahead with the purchase and try to find the ideal location and "heat protection" for the units.

_

Rock,
Not sure how soon you plan to start your wiring. But, I suggest inquiring from Robert when units with the new connector interface will be available in addition to new programming options. He had a few 1st run units when I was there last, and Robert implied units for sale to the public were not to far out in the future. The new interface connector will be an advantage over the current interface for serious off-road applications.

Rock56

_

They are probably at the PRI show in Indy. Wait until the show is over and everyone has had a chance to return to their offices.

motoxscott

We've used a few of these for some recent builds we've done. The functionality and simplicity of them are great for the price range they fall into. Great for UTV's, trail rigs and simpler prerunners. Their new stuff if all goes well should break into the more serious prerunner and race market. Hope to run that in my Bronco and the current stuff in my chase truck.

- Scott

KiwiMike

Are these compatible with ECM's? E.g. The ECM is used to currently close a relay for fans. With a override toggle switch to turn the fans on for a cool down.
So can it accept a ECM trigger?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

motoxscott

Are these compatible with ECM's? E.g. The ECM is used to currently close a relay for fans. With a override toggle switch to turn the fans on for a cool down.
So can it accept a ECM trigger?
From my understanding their new system they are working on will have some inputs to trigger functions.

y2kbaja

6 switch touch panel

Surfing for a less expensive switch panel alternative I found this. I only need on/off switches for lights and gps stuff. And all my switches work of relays so the 10amp load is suitable. Anyone have thoughts or experience with this?

Rock56

i have read about switch pros but i think it won't suit my application since it only has 1 relay that holds up to 30 amps, the fans of my radiator are rated at 19 amps each and the 3 oil coolers are rated at 15 it will be overloaded for my truck

y2kbaja

Restyle Truck Accessory Controller

I found this on Crutchfield. It connects to one of their "Restyle" head units. Nice for a high end prerunner but way too much for my blood. It only makes me think that outside vendors are looking at this and may force prices down.

motoxscott

little update as I talked to Switch Pros yesterday. They've updated their standard SP8100 now with one external trigger input that can be used to control up to two of the circuits. (ie. temp sender to trigger fans to come on automatically).

They are still in the works on the more powerful unit but that is at least 6-12 months out as they are still refining and plan on adding functions to the version they have now.

I ordered up two units for my Bronco, I'll let you know how it goes.

-Scott

Mark Newhan

little update as I talked to Switch Pros yesterday. They've updated their standard SP8100 now with one external trigger input that can be used to control up to two of the circuits. (ie. temp sender to trigger fans to come on automatically).

They are still in the works on the more powerful unit but that is at least 6-12 months out as they are still refining and plan on adding functions to the version they have now.

I ordered up two units for my Bronco, I'll let you know how it goes.

-Scott
Love these things.