Switch to SXS?

Phillip Moores

Reaction
I'm starting to think about making the switch to SXS from a full size dual sport car (300 hp).
I am interested to hear the good & bad of making the switch.

Also, anyone have any inside information on if Polaris & canam will go with a real transmission in the future?

My riding is mostly desert with some dunes but would like to be able to get into some mountain stuff I can't do in a big car.

51rcr

Reaction
now you will have a triple sport vehicle once ya make the switch. Smaller lighter can order every part and not need to make custom parts finance insure. Your going to gain back what you give up. hear polaris will have a real rear diff, not sure if trans was seperate.

GageFamilyRacing

Reaction
Drakart makes a UTV with a 6 speed sequential trans. They are currently building me one to race BITD/Legacy but they just finished a really nice 4 seat play car last weekend.

Phillip Moores

Reaction
Drakart makes a UTV with a 6 speed sequential trans. They are currently building me one to race BITD/Legacy but they just finished a really nice 4 seat play car last weekend.
Didn't realize they are in hesperia! Hows the pricing, I imagine it is substantially more expensive than a regular sxs?

GageFamilyRacing

Reaction
Price range is pretty wide depending on what you want. Its more than a stock UTV for sure but by the time time you change everything on a stock UTV you still dont have a 4130 chassis and you probably spent more on it than you would have if you just started with a Drakart. I think the 4 seat prerunner they just finished was around $62k but it had everything done to it.

critter81

Reaction
Polaris has a SXS with a transmission in development that being said if it is what I am thinking it is AVOID it... I think it will be based on the slingshot motor and trans and they are blowing up like crazy..... I think you might want to look at the Honda Talon they have have the best record out there for reliability right now

sand shark

Reaction
Desert riding belts rarely break on a SXS. In well over 20,000 miles of riding in various SXSs (Rhino, Polaris, Can Am X3) I have broken one belt in the desert. That was doing over 90mph on a dry lake bed. I have lots of miles in the dunes and over the years I have broken 3 belts in the dunes, which is expected. Each belt had over 1,000 miles on it before it broke.

The Honda Talon is a nice set up, but the suspension sucks donkey balls. The Yamaha is a badass motor, but once again the suspension will beat you up.

Can Am X3 rides really well in the desert and everywhere. The frame is a little on the thin side and will develop cracks over time. Like when you start reaching the 7,000 - 7,5000 mile mark. The motor is solid as is the drive train.

Polaris Turbo S and XP Pro have great suspension and the frames are much better than the X3. Unfortunately with Polaris it is crap shot on when the transmission bearings decide they have had enough.

If you do not need a turbo model, then I would be looking at the Kawi. Great suspension set up, just not a lot of power in the motor. Built like a brick shithouse and overall a great design.

I would not trust Polaris or Can Am with a real transmission in a first year model. I would also not wait around for either to release a model with a transmission. Polaris has a new 4 cylinder engine car that has been delayed due to Covid. Rumor is it will have the ability to shift from high to low and low to high on the fly. Allegedly it will still be belt driven.

You could always put a deposit down on a Speed UTV and pray it is built and delivered to you in the next few years.

Are you looking for a 2 or 4 seat SXS? What type of areas you plan of taking it?

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
Sand Shark is pretty much spot on as far as newer models with belts. I have a 2021 Turbo S with the Pro XP clutching. It has been incredible so far over 1K miles and belt still looks new. I also look at belts as a fuse. Couple hundred bucks for a belt or couple grand for a trans.

We race the same clutch set up as my play car, only lost 1 belt this season, and it was after 70 miles of straight climbing with heavy silt and sand being pumped in the clutches. Most of the time belt temps stay under 200 with HEAVY 33's.

What I do like with the CVT's is the ease of use. My wife or mother can just hop in the car and go cruise around and only worry about gas and brake.

jon coleman

Reaction
is any one building a ' spec' chassis yet for a can am donor parts car?( they Are thin, couldn't believe how weeny they are cutting up a burned up one for the trash can.

Phillip Moores

Reaction
Desert riding belts rarely break on a SXS. In well over 20,000 miles of riding in various SXSs (Rhino, Polaris, Can Am X3) I have broken one belt in the desert. That was doing over 90mph on a dry lake bed. I have lots of miles in the dunes and over the years I have broken 3 belts in the dunes, which is expected. Each belt had over 1,000 miles on it before it broke.

The Honda Talon is a nice set up, but the suspension sucks donkey balls. The Yamaha is a badass motor, but once again the suspension will beat you up.

Can Am X3 rides really well in the desert and everywhere. The frame is a little on the thin side and will develop cracks over time. Like when you start reaching the 7,000 - 7,5000 mile mark. The motor is solid as is the drive train.

Polaris Turbo S and XP Pro have great suspension and the frames are much better than the X3. Unfortunately with Polaris it is crap shot on when the transmission bearings decide they have had enough.

If you do not need a turbo model, then I would be looking at the Kawi. Great suspension set up, just not a lot of power in the motor. Built like a brick shithouse and overall a great design.

I would not trust Polaris or Can Am with a real transmission in a first year model. I would also not wait around for either to release a model with a transmission. Polaris has a new 4 cylinder engine car that has been delayed due to Covid. Rumor is it will have the ability to shift from high to low and low to high on the fly. Allegedly it will still be belt driven.

You could always put a deposit down on a Speed UTV and pray it is built and delivered to you in the next few years.

Are you looking for a 2 or 4 seat SXS? What type of areas you plan of taking it?
I would likely be looking for a 2 seater. Riding will be focused at desert primarily with some dunes and I would like to add places I can't go now like some rocky mountain stuff.
Ha! the Speed UTV... Yeah I have been seeing people selling there deposits!
Any way to get the power/speed up on the Kawi without ruining a good thing?

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
I would likely be looking for a 2 seater. Riding will be focused at desert primarily with some dunes and I would like to add places I can't go now like some rocky mountain stuff.
I think its KWT Performance that sells a turbo kit for it.

sand shark

Reaction
Reliable power probably not. There is suppose to be a turbo kit for it that is approved by Kawi. I do not think K&T has finished it. I certainly have not heard anything about it. Those n/a motors don't gain much with an exhaust. Clutch work, a tuner and removal of the speed limiter (with a tuner) is probably the best you will get out of the Kawi. It would be fine in the hard pack, but would feel like a dog in the dunes.

Honestly, if you going two seater I would go either the XP Pro or Can Am X3. The reason is both have good size wheel bases. The Polaris XP Turbo and Turbo S have a 90" wheelbase. The XP Pro is around 96" and he X3 is 103".

Even though the Can Am X3 frame is not the thickest material I would lean more toward a X3 just because of the Rotax motor and drive train of the X3 is much better than Polaris. Not to mention with even a mild tune the X3 is a beast of a car and lots of fun to drive.

My current X3 frame said no more at 8,000 miles (desert, baja and dunes). I have two complete cracks on the down tubes in the rear section of the frame and the transmission mounts broke. I came off a drop off a little hot on a Barstow to Stateline ride. My frame decided that was enough. I am in the market for a new SXS and will end up with another X3. Mine was a 2018 and allegedly Can Am increased the thickness of frame in key areas in the 2020 and newer models.

What I like about the XP Pro is the cab is pretty roomy and you have a good amount of storage areas.

sand shark

Reaction
is any one building a ' spec' chassis yet for a can am donor parts car?( they Are thin, couldn't believe how weeny they are cutting up a burned up one for the trash can.
Geiser makes a complete frame and there is one other company. Honestly only worth it if your are going to race. The Geiser frame is really nice and it should be for the $9,500 price tag. You still have to fab up a dash bar if you want to use the stock dash or you have to make a custom set up.

critter81

Reaction
FYI, I own a company that looks at repair information for over 2100 locations and looks at over 2.5 million repair orders every year. I know what comes in for repair and what comes in for service.... NATIONWIDE...The Polaris stuff comes in for repairs ALL THE TIME.. The Can Am stuff is better but they have some issues with break in on the new motors and some of them fail. The Talons have the best record out there right now for reliability, and yes the suspension might be stiff but a quick revalve from Clark as Noleen JRG and you are all set up. The kawasaki's are still to new to see a trend, but they are having some fuel issues that cause them to run lean and grenade the motors.

As Far as the new Polaris goes with the pending transmission, that is "delayed due to COVID" that vehicles is supposedly based on the slingshot motor and trans, not the GM one the new Polaris one. and that thing has a PCV valve issue that blows them up on the regular, the PCV valve faults and creates a suction and empties the engine from oil.

I would buy the Honda (I have one and it is good once revalved), then the Yamaha (I have one they they are a real ripper) then Kawasaki, then the Can Am, Polaris has more recalls than all the other manufacturers combined.

critter81

Reaction
Out of curiosity, do you know what their sales market share is? It would be more useful to see the percentage warranty issue VS sales #'s.
Yes they sell more than the others, but sales numbers have NOTHING to do with recalls.....I am not counting number of units recalled I am counting number of recalls....they have a recall almost every month....for something

Olson04

Reaction
Reliable power probably not. There is suppose to be a turbo kit for it that is approved by Kawi. I do not think K&T has finished it. I certainly have not heard anything about it. Those n/a motors don't gain much with an exhaust. Clutch work, a tuner and removal of the speed limiter (with a tuner) is probably the best you will get out of the Kawi. It would be fine in the hard pack, but would feel like a dog in the dunes.

Honestly, if you going two seater I would go either the XP Pro or Can Am X3. The reason is both have good size wheel bases. The Polaris XP Turbo and Turbo S have a 90" wheelbase. The XP Pro is around 96" and he X3 is 103".

Even though the Can Am X3 frame is not the thickest material I would lean more toward a X3 just because of the Rotax motor and drive train of the X3 is much better than Polaris. Not to mention with even a mild tune the X3 is a beast of a car and lots of fun to drive.

My current X3 frame said no more at 8,000 miles (desert, baja and dunes). I have two complete cracks on the down tubes in the rear section of the frame and the transmission mounts broke. I came off a drop off a little hot on a Barstow to Stateline ride. My frame decided that was enough. I am in the market for a new SXS and will end up with another X3. Mine was a 2018 and allegedly Can Am increased the thickness of frame in key areas in the 2020 and newer models.

What I like about the XP Pro is the cab is pretty roomy and you have a good amount of storage areas.
Force turbos makes a turbo kit for the kawi. Check out big pine sports youtube channel. They did a video on it.

sand shark

Reaction
Yes they sell more than the others, but sales numbers have NOTHING to do with recalls.....I am not counting number of units recalled I am counting number of recalls....they have a recall almost every month....for something
Polaris is like an auto manufacture at this point. They for sure have a lot recalls and way more than any other UTV manufacture. The "stop ride" recalls would be the ones of concern, if I owned a Polaris.