Switch to SXS?

sand shark

Reaction
Force turbos makes a turbo kit for the kawi. Check out big pine sports youtube channel. They did a video on it.
I will check it out.

I would never buy an aftermarket turbo set up. Everyone I know that did that with their UTV was constantly tinkering or chasing problems.

apseagle

Reaction
I have been researching SxS to purchase for about two years now. I own a small motorcycle/utv repair shop and work on everything that comes through my shop and that factored heavily in the decision I made to buy a Wildcat XX. I was first attracted to the Maverick X3 turbo R's, but after replacing far too many suspension components due to minor incidents off road, I wrote them off. I did not want a car that I had to spend another 4k on just to make the suspension robust. The motor is amazing though, so that was a big plus. But here in Idaho, we simply do not have big, long, power demanding situations that really favored turbos.

The Polaris rigs seem to be a little stronger in the suspension department in stock form, but at over 325# and 6'-1 I just could not get comfortable in them.

I settled on the Wildcat because in stock form it has the strongest suspension and the best designed one for fast rough terrain. Everything is double shear mounted, no radius arms to bend, etc. (Yes, I know it still has some weak links, like everything.) The motor is proven, and had the most power among other NA cars.

I should be getting my new car in a couple of weeks. It is quite a special unit as it is a local ex race car FULLY set up with everything needed to be fast and reliable in the rough desert race conditions it was built for. It has a proven record of being not only a class winner (and beating a large portion of the turbo cars), but reliable as well. 77" long travel, King Shocks, large fuel cell, all the safety stuff, the list goes on and on. I am personal friends with the owner, and we go back almost 30 years. The car is well sorted and I got a very fair deal on it.

I will be smoothing out the rough edges and "softening" it a bit for recreational use, but not getting rid of it's proven toughness. There are many others on the Wildcat forum who love theirs. I would give them a look.

Phillip Moores

Reaction
I have been researching SxS to purchase for about two years now. I own a small motorcycle/utv repair shop and work on everything that comes through my shop and that factored heavily in the decision I made to buy a Wildcat XX. I was first attracted to the Maverick X3 turbo R's, but after replacing far too many suspension components due to minor incidents off road, I wrote them off. I did not want a car that I had to spend another 4k on just to make the suspension robust. The motor is amazing though, so that was a big plus. But here in Idaho, we simply do not have big, long, power demanding situations that really favored turbos.

The Polaris rigs seem to be a little stronger in the suspension department in stock form, but at over 325# and 6'-1 I just could not get comfortable in them.

I settled on the Wildcat because in stock form it has the strongest suspension and the best designed one for fast rough terrain. Everything is double shear mounted, no radius arms to bend, etc. (Yes, I know it still has some weak links, like everything.) The motor is proven, and had the most power among other NA cars.

I should be getting my new car in a couple of weeks. It is quite a special unit as it is a local ex race car FULLY set up with everything needed to be fast and reliable in the rough desert race conditions it was built for. It has a proven record of being not only a class winner (and beating a large portion of the turbo cars), but reliable as well. 77" long travel, King Shocks, large fuel cell, all the safety stuff, the list goes on and on. I am personal friends with the owner, and we go back almost 30 years. The car is well sorted and I got a very fair deal on it.

I will be smoothing out the rough edges and "softening" it a bit for recreational use, but not getting rid of it's proven toughness. There are many others on the Wildcat forum who love theirs. I would give them a look.
Any news on if the XX will be offered in a turbo in the next couple years?

apseagle

Reaction
No one has heard a thing. In fact, AC is awfully quiet about the XX. We are coming up on 22 models coming out and no talk at all. The only thing I have, and it is purely my opinion and speculation, is something I got from watching one of Shock Therapy's videos about what UTV to choose. When he was talking about the XX, he stated one sentence that caught my attention. He said that the XX was going to become a sole product of Robby Gordon's. This was April 2020. Does he know something we do not? It could make sense. Robby and Speed is well on their way to producing a game changer turbo SXS. He had considerable input and design responsibility in the XX. In fact, the new Speed SXS's suspension looks remarkably similar to the XX. The XX, with a few more of his tweaks would make a great NA model in his line-up. Not everyone needs a turbo, but still wants a quality chassis, safe cage, and fantastic suspension. But again, it is my opinion fueled by one comment.

Total Loss

Reaction
No one has heard a thing. In fact, AC is awfully quiet about the XX. We are coming up on 22 models coming out and no talk at all. The only thing I have, and it is purely my opinion and speculation, is something I got from watching one of Shock Therapy's videos about what UTV to choose. When he was talking about the XX, he stated one sentence that caught my attention. He said that the XX was going to become a sole product of Robby Gordon's. This was April 2020. Does he know something we do not? It could make sense. Robby and Speed is well on their way to producing a game changer turbo SXS. He had considerable input and design responsibility in the XX. In fact, the new Speed SXS's suspension looks remarkably similar to the XX. The XX, with a few more of his tweaks would make a great NA model in his line-up. Not everyone needs a turbo, but still wants a quality chassis, safe cage, and fantastic suspension. But again, it is my opinion fueled by one comment.
Justin probably knows more than any of us about what Gordon is doing.
I believe he may be one of the exclusive shops to work on his suspensions and shocks. He is still racing a Can Am now but me thinks he will be in a Speed in the future.
Tic Toc...

apseagle

Reaction
Justin's Can-am is not much of a Can-am any more. Complete new frame, and I am sure other than the engine and drive train, everything has been breathed upon. But, following Speed's videos for the last year, all the aftermarket upgrades in the world can not completely fix geometry issues in the core design. This is where the Speed I think will excel. As an engineer, mechanic, and suspension builder (although for motorcycles), his core design will be hard to beat by Polaris and Can-am without a complete redesign. I think they will have a very positive effect on the entire industry as the competitors change their rigs to catch up. I know some people do not like him, but Gordon knows a thing or two about how to design a proper off road suspension.

I am looking forward to taking a ride in one. Well, maybe my wallet is not looking forward to it... But with the XX I bought, if it ever feels too slow (not likely for how I am going to use it and where I live), I will just transplant a motor from a Yamaha turbo sled which is almost a perfect bolt in upgrade and I can get 250 hp all day long.

Total Loss

Reaction
Justin's Can-am is not much of a Can-am any more. Complete new frame, and I am sure other than the engine and drive train, everything has been breathed upon. But, following Speed's videos for the last year, all the aftermarket upgrades in the world can not completely fix geometry issues in the core design. This is where the Speed I think will excel. As an engineer, mechanic, and suspension builder (although for motorcycles), his core design will be hard to beat by Polaris and Can-am without a complete redesign. I think they will have a very positive effect on the entire industry as the competitors change their rigs to catch up. I know some people do not like him, but Gordon knows a thing or two about how to design a proper off road suspension.

I am looking forward to taking a ride in one. Well, maybe my wallet is not looking forward to it... But with the XX I bought, if it ever feels too slow (not likely for how I am going to use it and where I live), I will just transplant a motor from a Yamaha turbo sled which is almost a perfect bolt in upgrade and I can get 250 hp all day long.
That's the big beef with the Pro Turbo class right now...becoming Trophy Car Light. I chase for a Can Am team right now that is building a new stock class car to have more fun and be more competitive without going completely broke...lol

I love my XX for rec use. Hit 86 on a dry lake last week...plenty fast for me...and smooth.

Phillip Moores

Reaction
I think it will be painful to go from a car with lots of power to a NA SXS... I have noticed the reviews of the XX are all really good but I would not want to be stuck wanting more out of the machine

Zambo

Reaction
Been super happy with my x3 but you're right, the frame is really a weak point. If the speed car comes out and has no weak points that will be awesome of course. I would hope that a brand new car can have a better design than one that is 5 years old. I like a lot of what Robby is doing with that car, especially a lot of the little things that engineers don't typically understand. For example, designing it from the get go so you can easily mount radios, gps etc, or having a dedicated place for a spare tire and a ton of other things.

That being said I think the suspension on the x3 works great despite the imperfect geometry of having radius rods in the back. IMO the center link (toe link) on these cars isn't really understood by many people, but it adjusts the toe during the suspension travel to great reduce the negatives of all that track width change.

The CVTs, now that they are mostly sorted out, are really one of the best features of a UTV. I think too many people are hung up on all the blown belts of years gone by. I don't think many race teams routinely blow any belts and the transmissions last a long time. The big benefit is that they are super efficient at putting every available HP to the ground by keeping the motor always in the power band. As I understand it the speed car will still run a CVT but with the added advantage of being able to shift between Hi, Low, and overdrive on the fly, which would really be a nice setup.

jon coleman

Reaction
Been super happy with my x3 but you're right, the frame is really a weak point. If the speed car comes out and has no weak points that will be awesome of course. I would hope that a brand new car can have a better design than one that is 5 years old. I like a lot of what Robby is doing with that car, especially a lot of the little things that engineers don't typically understand. For example, designing it from the get go so you can easily mount radios, gps etc, or having a dedicated place for a spare tire and a ton of other things.

That being said I think the suspension on the x3 works great despite the imperfect geometry of having radius rods in the back. IMO the center link (toe link) on these cars isn't really understood by many people, but it adjusts the toe during the suspension travel to great reduce the negatives of all that track width change.

The CVTs, now that they are mostly sorted out, are really one of the best features of a UTV. I think too many people are hung up on all the blown belts of years gone by. I don't think many race teams routinely blow any belts and the transmissions last a long time. The big benefit is that they are super efficient at putting every available HP to the ground by keeping the motor always in the power band. As I understand it the speed car will still run a CVT but with the added advantage of being able to shift between Hi, Low, and overdrive on the fly, which would really be a nice setup.
thats Three gear ratio choices?, thats nice for racing, always able to keep the power band in a happy spot

sand shark

Reaction

I doubt Gordon will take over the XX. If that was his intention why spend all the time and money to develop the Speed UTV.

The XX is a great car for the desert and is super tough. I have witnessed one go for a ride off a cliff in Baja and land on all 4 wheels and keep going. The tires were loaded with cactus spines and there were some dimples in the frame from where it hit some rocks hard upon landing. It still finished the ride.

My friend has a XX and it does fine in Glamis. He is working the motor to keep up with us turbo cars, but suspension wise it works great. It is a nice looking car and looks really good with the Speed long travel set up.

As long as you never drive a turbo powered SXS, the Wildcat XX will feel like it has enough power.

If Textron is to blame for why the Wildcat XX never took off like is should of. They had a great platform and just let it fizzle. All they had to do is offer a turbo model and a 4 seater and they would of sold a ton of them.

sand shark

Reaction
thats Three gear ratio choices?, thats nice for racing, always able to keep the power band in a happy spot
With a CVT you don't have to worry about keeping it in the powerband. It is always in it. The nice part of the Speed set up is you can shift from high to low or low to high on the fly. Currently you have to stop and to change from low to high or high to low. Rumor is Polaris and Can Am will have a similar set up.

The 3rd gear on the Speed UTV is for highway cruising or where you are going to be on graded roads and don't need to be spinning 5,000-6,500 rpms doing 50-55mph. It is like an overdrive that keeps the RPMs down.

jon coleman

Reaction
With a CVT you don't have to worry about keeping it in the powerband. It is always in it. The nice part of the Speed set up is you can shift from high to low or low to high on the fly. Currently you have to stop and to change from low to high or high to low. Rumor is Polaris and Can Am will have a similar set up.

The 3rd gear on the Speed UTV is for highway cruising or where you are going to be on graded roads and don't need to be spinning 5,000-6,500 rpms doing 50-55mph. It is like an overdrive that keeps the RPMs down.
use it correctly and on a peninsula run you can probably get great mpg

Total Loss

Reaction
I doubt Gordon will take over the XX. If that was his intention why spend all the time and money to develop the Speed UTV.

The XX is a great car for the desert and is super tough. I have witnessed one go for a ride off a cliff in Baja and land on all 4 wheels and keep going. The tires were loaded with cactus spines and there were some dimples in the frame from where it hit some rocks hard upon landing. It still finished the ride.

My friend has a XX and it does fine in Glamis. He is working the motor to keep up with us turbo cars, but suspension wise it works great. It is a nice looking car and looks really good with the Speed long travel set up.

As long as you never drive a turbo powered SXS, the Wildcat XX will feel like it has enough power.

If Textron is to blame for why the Wildcat XX never took off like is should of. They had a great platform and just let it fizzle. All they had to do is offer a turbo model and a 4 seater and they would of sold a ton of them.
And offered race support. They could have dominated the NA class with full support.
I could see Gordon buying the XX rights...use it as an entry level car to his XXX turbos.
Textron and Bass Pro dont need it.