• Forum membership has its advantages....

T.T.'s at KING OF THE HAMMERS. (HUGE $$$$$$ for them too).

BrentB

Great race, incredible course, can’t wait for #19 to get another shot at it. We started losing the trans in qually so our day was over before it even started, such a bummer as Ed and I were very prepared. We only made it half way through the first north loop limping until it completely crapped the bed.

This race had so much to it, not being tied to any series and the payout, seemed like everyone went all out, and it was a really tough course to do that. The format was awesome, a real qually loop that was part of the race course, multi loops but no lap traffic, tougher terrain and not just a follow the leader race line. Great job and thank you Dave Cole and JT Taylor. My only constructive criticism would be, for one at a time starts. Since there were two left hand corners at the start of the race I think everyone that started on the left side got the lead of the pair heading out into the desert, so basically if you qualified an even number you were down on cerrected time before you even started.

I’m super stoked for Luke, couldn’t have been won by a more deserving guy and team. He has been one of the fastest/smartest guys in real desert races for several years, just hasn’t had luck gone his way. Luke, like I told Pab after TJ, look out or you get on a winning roll and none of the other teams will have anything for you. Winning this race against this field of trucks is impressive, way more to it than holding it down and going fast, flying rises, smashing tires, breaking trucks, A REAL DEAL WIN, the 100K was just a bonus.

Thank you everyone for the kind words, but more importantly for everyone that came out and raced, vended, volunteered, or spectated for making this the best KOH yet.

All the fence is cleaned up, power grid pulled in, microwave network put away, trash cleaned up in town. The first loop is completely cleaned of markings and car parts.

We need to clean up the trash from the spectator camping and roll up the rest of town.

Wind is kicking out butt tonight but I hope to be home by Thursday.

Thanks again for making it the smoothest event to date.

Dave

OFFRD-JNKIE

Awesome event as usual! The only thing for me that was a bummer is that none of the T1 drivers stuck around for the awards ceremony on Saturday...

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Thank you everyone for the kind words, but more importantly for everyone that came out and raced, vended, volunteered, or spectated for making this the best KOH yet.

All the fence is cleaned up, power grid pulled in, microwave network put away, trash cleaned up in town. The first loop is completely cleaned of markings and car parts.

We need to clean up the trash from the spectator camping and roll up the rest of town.

Wind is kicking out butt tonight but I hope to be home by Thursday.

Thanks again for making it the smoothest event to date.

Dave

Dave, I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that you have helped transcend off-road racing as we know it. Thank you, thank you, thank you... you are the man!!! Amazing event, amazing coverage. This is what our sport (especially here in California) has needed.

Beers will always be on me!

Best,
Adam

y2kbaja

It's amazing how KOH has taken the sport of off-road racing and transported it back 10 years with open pre-running and "open" spectating while at the same time moving it ahead 10 years with the live coverage of the event. The only thing I wished we had was more consistent live helo footage on the first loop but I understand that we're trying to broadcast something live all over the world from a location that doesn't even have cell coverage.

Thanks Dave for an awesome week. This was my first time out to KoH. I WILL BE BACK!

Only had a couple of issues/questions. I noticed that you had jumbotrons out at Back door and Chocolate thunder when I was there on Friday. But there were none out at the remote pit when I was there on Thursday pitting. Any reason why? Or is it something that can be done in the future? Would have been nice to watch some of the T1 race between pits.

There may be something somewhere, but being new, I was not sure how or if I could get out to other sites to spectate or where they were. A couple of buddies that I was with were veterans so they took me to back door and Chocolate thunder on Wednesday when we were in hammertown. So it was easy to find my way there on Friday.

Overall, I had a blast. Two big thumbs up to you and your crew.

It's amazing how KOH has taken the sport of off-road racing and transported it back 10 years with open pre-running and "open" spectating while at the same time moving it ahead 10 years with the live coverage of the event. The only thing I wished we had was more consistent live helo footage on the first loop but I understand that we're trying to broadcast something live all over the world from a location that doesn't even have cell coverage.
Not true, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint are non-existent. See attached pics, plus below:

Verizon (United States of America) Cell Tower Map

But, Verizon has signal everywhere I went -- Hammertown, Chocolate Thunder, MM128 (T1 Desert Truck race). I was able to do some LIVE uploads -- digital SLR pics, smartphone pics/videos

I just got a smartphone (on special) with ATT pre-paid. Showed up at Hammertown .. NO signal. I networked with some people I left, & they unanimously mentioned Verizon as the preferred carrier for KOTH. Went back to Apple Valley & got a Verizon pre-paid. Signal everywhere I went during the race.

See attached pics. Verizon has a cell tower close to Johnson Valley lake bed..no other carrier has one

Attachments

MikeLeung

Not true, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint are non-existent. See attached pics, plus below:

Verizon (United States of America) Cell Tower Map

But, Verizon has signal everywhere I went -- Hammertown, Chocolate Thunder, MM128 (T1 Desert Truck race). I was able to do some LIVE uploads -- digital SLR pics, smartphone pics/videos

I just got a smartphone (on special) with ATT pre-paid. Showed up at Hammertown .. NO signal. I networked with some people I left, & they unanimously mentioned Verizon as the preferred carrier for KOTH. Went back to Apple Valley & got a Verizon pre-paid. Signal everywhere I went during the race.

See attached pics. Verizon has a cell tower close to Johnson Valley lake bed..no other carrier has one
ATT had strong signal from "Cell Phone Bush" and Chocolate Thunder. Zero every place else

DeRaRa

The racing was awesome as ever, spent the week out there with friends enjoying the racing and being able to travel around in our prerunners driving to multiple areas to view the racing is epic, something you can only do in Baja anymore. The addition this year of the T1 trucks was just the icing on the cake. Dave please figure out a way to get the Moto's back into the program then it would be complete.