T4 Pistons

Gonzo 5/1600

Reaction
Well I'm accumulating parts for when I'm ready to build up my 2.0L type 4 and have been debating which pistons to go with... I'm going to put flat top 96mm pistons and cylinders in and can pick from cast AA Performance, Keith Black cast hypereutectic, or forged JE. (ascending rapidly in price)

My budget is not unlimited but I don't want to regret cutting corners in the future, as I have read various positive and very negative reports about past and current product quality.

If anyone can offer some guidance or their expereince I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!

racer56

Reaction
You can't beat JE Pistons quality.

baja stu

Reaction
Fat is selling AA Performance cylinders that are heat treated and JE pistons for your info. Depending on what rod you go with (small end size) you can run a lot of different pistons.

baja stu

Reaction
I have a set of JE pistons in my type IV and just a word to the wise have fun with the wire clip retainers. Order your pistons with c-clips or spiral locks. Life will be easier.

Gonzo 5/1600

Reaction
Fat is selling AA Performance cylinders that are heat treated and JE pistons for your info. Depending on what rod you go with (small end size) you can run a lot of different pistons.

Yeah thanks, I was hearing about those today, probably the best option, but +/- $800 :eek:
I know they've got a huge loyal following but the phone conversations I've had with them were unsatisfactory...

Edit: Thanks for the tip stu, should save me some headaches!

racer56

Reaction
Ask for stacy in sales, he is a racer and great to work with.

GDRBORETIRED

Reaction
Just my opinion but keith blacks seem to be good quality and a good price. We raced a lot of miles (2 + seasons) on them and were never dissapointed.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Do it right and stick with a forged piston, go JE or something similar.

GDRBORETIRED

Reaction
I didn't build the motor. Did help brainstorm it, 103X78. It had a ton of torque, real fun to drive!

puravida

Reaction
I have been using AA pistons (flat top) and cylinders with no issues. T4 2.0L, 12:1 comp.

puravida

Reaction
Cool, that's in your 10 car? In the pictures I've seen of flat top AAs they look relieved for valve clearance, is that the case with yours or are they completely smooth/flat?

Thanks for the input!
Yes, they are in both of my 10 motors, many miles on them.... Ours are flat top, we put a smooth piece of putty and manual turn the motor then relieve for valve clearance accordly. My cast piston are lighter than forged (same design) hehehe I have had nooo issues with AA cast pistons.

Gonzo 5/1600

Reaction
Yes, they are in both of my 10 motors, many miles on them.... Ours are flat top, we put a smooth piece of putty and manual turn the motor then relieve for valve clearance accordly. My cast piston are lighter than forged (same design) hehehe I have had nooo issues with AA cast pistons.

Interesting, thanks. I guess I'll have to do some thinking before making my decision. I'll just keep collecting other parts until coming to a conclusion on pistons/cylinders.

5racer

Reaction
Interesting, thanks. I guess I'll have to do some thinking before making my decision. I'll just keep collecting other parts until coming to a conclusion on pistons/cylinders.
i have alot of t-4 parts rods, cranks , heads,and many other things at a good price some even sell for silver bullets .