taco coilover removal-----help

toyotaguy

Reaction
how exactly am I supposed to go about taking it out. I have the fabtech adjustable coilover kit on there and it needs to be rebuilt. three bolts on top then there is athe middle one which is a little bigger and finally the bottom eye of the shock bolt. Which order do i take it out/off?

cleartoy

Reaction
Loosen the top 3. Then take out the lower bolt as you let the arms hang. Once the shock is off the truck, get a spring compressor(after you unthread the preload collar) compress the spring, then undo the center upper nut.

toyotaguy

Reaction
So I cannot just loosen the top bolts, remove the lower bolt and let the arms hang and then remove the top bolts. I am just trying to remove the thing not take it apart myself. You see, when I bought it 2 years ago, it came complete and all I had to do was bolt it in and adjust ride height.....no spring compressor necessary. So is should come out the same way right. I was thinking of lowering it all the way and then loosening everything. right or wrong

surfpunk1

Reaction
you can pretty much take them off however you'd like, just DO NOT take off the big middle bolt! its what holds the compression of the springs... but, i think you have the right idea, the way i got mine off when i put in my king coil overs was i just loosened the three top bolts (not the middle one) and then took the bottom bolt off... you may have to hammer the bold VERY LIGHTLY to help get it moving, do not mess up the threads though... its pretty easy once you get down there, if you need help grab a friend, its really basic...

and as far as good LT for tacomas, check out total choas, www.choasfab.com, and camburg, www.camburg.com

cleartoy

Reaction
When you said you were gonna rebuild them I thought you were gonna diss assemble them yourself. Omit the top center nut. You said you put them in there yourself right?? Removal is reverse of installation.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
To take off the coilover off a Tacoma you unbolt the swaybar on each lower arm, unbolt the lower shock bolt on the shock, then ONLY the 3 smaller bolts. DON'T UNBOLT the middle top bolt...you'll die lol.

toyotaguy

Reaction
alright then thanks I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing because the shop wants like 450-500 bucks for him to do it and rebuild and put back on. I say the 150 for the rebuild is much better and I'll do the removal and install thanks you very much. later. by the way is that about right for a shock rebuild price. If not then i need somewhere that does fox shocks. i know that DR doesn't do fox and some other places don't do them them selves, they send it to fox which takes like 7 days for return or something like that. anywhere else

desertracer

Reaction
Kartek will do fox shox's. I would think they do the taco coil overs, we get all of our bypasses and coil overs re-build there. Give them a call and ask for Mike arthur.

DesertCreations

Reaction
just loosen up the coil and un-bolt it very simple. Kar-tek will not touch them. We can do them at So. Cal. Super Trucks give me a call. 909-383-5454

toyotaguy

Reaction
well what can be done if the springs are shot to [daddy didnt love me]? is my only fix a replacement of the spring?