Tacoma A-arms?

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Hi everyone, I have a 1997 Toyota Tacoma 2WD and I am looking for good places to do the front end of my truck. I want to have at least 17 inches of travel. I found a place called S.I.C. Fabrication. Does anyone know if they are good??? Can anyone recomend any places or know how to do it and do it for me. I am going to be putting uni-balls on it, and 14" dual rate King coilovers. Thanks!

TDORSloppy

Reaction
Better yet, why not wait a couple weeks for this 100% bolt-on kit from Total Chaos.

13" of travel with 4WD.

TDORSloppy

Reaction
Wait, do you have mini 2WD Tacoma? If so, good luck. For you to get 17" of travel, you'll have to get 5" wider arms which will still fit in a lane on the freeway, I think. If you have the prerunner truck, go with either the Camburg kit or the Total Chaos kit. Both kits have been tested thoroughly and are pretty much guaranteed to work perfectly. Ask Havahockey about his truck. His truck has been perfect with the Camburg kit.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Do you have the 2WD mini or 2WD Prerunner? 17" on a Tacoma is pretty much impossible especially on the mini unless you go really wide, all uniball, and custom spindle. Another thing to take into account is the stock steering, it can only handle so much travel.

The Camburg LT kit for the 2WD mini gets about 11" of travel and the kit for the Prerunner/4WD gets 13". I haven't heard how much the Total Chaos kit gets but I can't be more then 13-14".

Also, why did you pick 17" as your magic number? Travel isn't everything. Thats why you will see most 7s trucks spank all us Prerunner boys in the desert. My advice would to be to get the Camburg kit on your truck and get the shock valved, you'll be more then happy with it. I personally would only go with a reputable big shop for my front end, there are a lot of variables taken into account and its easy to mess things up.

If you want some pictures of the Camburg kit up close let me know

Jason.

toyoter91

Reaction
you could always check out S.I. motorsports or New Line or a place like that...might cost more but you will get your 17 inches of useable clean travel. would also be Bypass/coilover. but i think everyone would agree if you are going for that much travel to only take it to a well known shop that is known for its good work. just my .02

-Rob

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Are you fixed on using a 14" shock. If you are I would think that they are gonna look funny sticking up through the hood with a Camburg or Total Choas kit unless you move the motor back. Do you want a bolt on kit or you going fully custom?

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Ya a 14" on a bolt on tacoma kit isn't going to happen. I have friends who have put 12" shocks on their kits and it sticks up pretty far, plus there is a lot of stuff on the driver side you would have to relocate.

rdc

Reaction
I want a custom kit, i was looking for at least 5 inches wider per side, but basicly i want as much travel as possible for the buck. the best deal.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Yea you need to goto one of the big fab shops and talk to them because noone makes anything bolt on even close to that...Call, Baja Shop, H&M, Newline, any of those big shops will make it for you but be prepared to spend a pretty penny!

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
17" on the Mini 2WD won't happen unless you do something like center mounted. You will have to go the custom route to get anything over 12" because of how the suspenion is setup. I believe the Camburg kit is 4'' wider and pulls 11-12". So going 5" won't give you that much more.

Hopefully Ryan (Bonze2001) will chime in here and give you the info on the Camburg kit for the mini. His friend had that kit and beat it to hell and it lasted great, and now his girlfriend has it and it holds up to him driving it :). If you have seen The Dirty Ones it is the teal Tacoma in the video.

YotaWhoopRunner

Reaction
What he means by centermounted is moving the arm pivot points closer to center of the truck and elongating the arms. That way you can have more travel without having your arms stick way out of your fenders using the stock pivot points. The most bang for your buck would probably be a bolton like total chaos or camburg. Just look at a truggy you'll understand.

Jordan

Reaction
How exactly is that 100% bolt-on when you have to have a custom upper shock bar made for the shocks?

<font color=red>"The more we play the more we pay"</font color=red>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Why do yo need 17 inches of travel? Is that to make up for something else? My buddies truck with 9 inches of travel will romp on most prerunners that have a lot more travel.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"It's not an oil leak, it's sweat from all the horsepower"

rdc

Reaction
i jsut want a lot of travel, but mainly i want my truck to work good, cuz i am going to be jumpin it and taking it off road hitting whoops and whatever else. then drive it home.

pciscott

Reaction
Kritter if my new prerunner has 25 inches, does that mean something? Quality is better than Quantity this I agree, but if you want to dance through the desert in third gear you need every inch you can get:)

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7