Tacoma Coilovers?

Marshall

Reaction
I noticed that the standard kit coilover mounts to the top of the tower and has a puck like top on the shock, where some of the long travel kits have a upper bolt on shock tab so as a standard style shock can be mounted. Is there any reason this shock tab style could be used with out the longtravel kit? Is there not enough room or?

schafer

Reaction
the shocks are going to be too long and you will botom out, you cant fit a 8" 2.5 in a tacoma bucket... even a 6" is gonna be too long, the king coilover is the closest thing to a "REAL" coilover your going ot get in there, its actually a heim at the top just encased in a plate to adapt it to the stock bucket.

Marshall

Reaction
Thanks Corey, Im sure I could get them to add a external res for a small fee:) Has any one tried to move the upper mounting location to fit a longer shock and gain travel or are we looking a balljoint bind problem? Im just going to stick with the off the shelf King but just courious?

cleartoy

Reaction
If you build a hoop and cut out the factory 3 bolt mounting plate, you can run just about anything you want.

The Camburg kit offers adapters to bolt to a standard shocks and the 3 bolt factory plate.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
You could cut out the stock bucket, run a shock hoop and put in a longer coilover but with the stock arms it woudn't be any better then just running the King replacement coilover. Like Corey said either your 4wd will bind, or upper balljoint.

cleartoy

Reaction
If you could run a standard 10" shock on hoops, you could run a dual rate setup.

If someone is trying to get the best they can with stock arms, thats what id do. No difference in travel, just ride tunability.

DesertCreations

Reaction
Get the Donahoe replacement coilover it's by far the best replacement out their. Donahoe also has replacement deavers for rear that will level your truck out. PM me if interested.

Justin

Reaction
What makes the Donahoe replacement better than the King or Sway A Way?

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
The swayaway is a 2.0" shock, the King and Donahoe are 2.5" shocks. I mostly recomend people to get the swayaway coilover because its only $625 and works great. The King is nice because its a 2.5" but its $200 more, the Donahoe is also a 2.5" but its closer to $1K. The argument for the Donahoe coilover is that they spent lots of time valving it getting it right. I say just get the Swayaway coilover and have someone like Pete valve it for you and save $300.

Bonzen

Reaction
Here are some pics of my "frankenstein" shock....nascar shock body, 7100 resi, tundra valving.

And yes I did get more travel, about an inch. It droops too much for stock 4wd, as the cv's bind when I'm in the air it's not a nice sound. So I just dont jump it anymore. However I have had some of the other coilovers out there and these work 100 times better, the valving is alot better and they run alot cooler because of the valving and the resi.

-Ryan

Bonzen

Reaction
It's all getting sold soon man I have some bigger replacements for the front on the way. And it's all about limiting straps. lol

-Ryan

Jordan

Reaction
I still think for our trucks running 4wd manual hubs are a must have option. You dont need to run 4wd full time and nothing like saving the lifetime of your parts.

EQuin

Reaction
Hey Ryan,

What kind of coilovers are those? Looks like the collar ring adjusts ride height from the top of the coil, as opposed to adjusting it from the bottom like with the bolt-on SAWs, Fabtech/Fox, etc.? And what is a NASCAR shock body?

I also noticed your upper control arm is non-stock. Do you have LT or just a replacement upper arm? If it's just the upper arm, have you noticed a difference in ride performance?

By the way, when's your next video coming out?

Thanks for any extra info.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Why don't you give him a reason why to buy the Donahoe coilover rather then just pushing your works product. What are the benifts? Do they justify the extra cost?