• Forum membership has its advantages....

Tacoma Diesel

Klaus

Administrator
Just bought this on Youtube:

A retro fit D4D 3.0L inline 4 cylinder diesel into a late model Toyota Tacoma. I absolutely love this. Actually I have the keys to a similar vehicle. A 2014 Mitsubishi L-200 that I keep in another country. This one is 2.5L and proper 5 speed manual transmission. Still bone stock on the engine side for now. Acceleration is a tiny bit slower than a US 2015 4-Runner 4.0L.

Anyone else play with smaller diesels ?

jon coleman

i loved that extreme 4x4 segment putting in a dsl into a samuri& doing a cooking oil compatable set up that was a killer show

blue dog

The Cummins crate 2.8 is a interesting beast, and would love to put one in my 2003 Tacoma mated to a nv5600 trans. This package is a bit tall and would entail moving the engine back quite a bit to fit without re engineering the entire front suspension.
Wish Toyota would bring the Land cruiser 70 series from Australia to North America, lockers front and rear, solid axles, 4.8 l diesel, hose wash out floors.
Anyway yes please.

bajafox

Accepted
I still remember the diesel Tundra Toyota teased in 2007 I believe. I plan on keeping my 2010 Toyota Tundra for the remainder of its life (or mine) but if they made a diesel Tundra I'd definitely jump at the opportunity.

Toyota diesels are in demand, they need to start bringing them in

Klaus

Administrator
Perhaps this this post belongs into Shop/Engine.
For my 2.5L Mitsubishi I am looking to 2 engine mods:

Intercooler like this one:
IK-MT2.5-F.jpg

And a Chip tuner that plugs into the wiring harness before signals reach the factory ecu.
It changes the ecu's readings of boost pressure and fuel delivery.

gts-three-quarter.png

Any diesel tuners out there have an opinion on my performance route being advisable or not?

Jay150

Is the comparable to the diesel Colorado? Test drove one a couple of weeks ago and actually really liked it. That front mount intercooler your considering is nice and priced well.

JDDurfey

The Cummins crate 2.8 is a interesting beast, and would love to put one in my 2003 Tacoma mated to a nv5600 trans. This package is a bit tall and would entail moving the engine back quite a bit to fit without re engineering the entire front suspension.
Wish Toyota would bring the Land cruiser 70 series from Australia to North America, lockers front and rear, solid axles, 4.8 l diesel, hose wash out floors.
Anyway yes please.
If you have room for it the Cummins 2.8 crate engine is a great option for mini trucks and small SUVs. It is 50 state legal for smog and everything you need for the engine is included in the crate. Whip up some motor mounts and bolt it up to a NV5600. It is only rated at 161 hp with 310 lb of torque. So it won't be a stump pulling machine, but I bet soon there will be some power upgrades available.

blue dog

I have done my research, the Cummins crate engine is very tall and would entail a lot more then just motor mounts. The firewall would need to be pushed back a fair amount. Rack steering would need to be altered and on and on.
But I do figure that engine in a first gen Tacoma with a manual 6 speed could probably click over 40 mpg. Guessing.

jon coleman

If you have room for it the Cummins 2.8 crate engine is a great option for mini trucks and small SUVs. It is 50 state legal for smog and everything you need for the engine is included in the crate. Whip up some motor mounts and bolt it up to a NV5600. It is only rated at 161 hp with 310 lb of torque. So it won't be a stump pulling machine, but I bet soon there will be some power upgrades available.
how much ?, what is the total parts cost, avg?this would go good in a 3.0 older toyota 4 runner, dime a dozen w junk v6 blown up special