Tacoma hubs???

sirhk100

I've got a friend with 4WD tacoma and she wants it a little higher. I've already put on the SAW replacement coilovers but only cranked them up about 1.5"s. She wants about another 1.5"-2"s. Anyways of doing this. The rear is on deavers and running Bilsteins. She beats the crap outta this truck so whatever we do to it, it needs to take some punishment. I was thinking, does anyone make manual locking hubs for the Tacoma's? If so, could I use those to unlock the axles and therefore crank the SAW's up higher without damaging the CV's. I would think that if they are only spinning on the occasional weekend in the desert that they would survive. Would running with them locked all weekend instead of just locking them when needed hurt that much? Is this idea feasable? Any other ideas on how to get about 2"s of lift? Spindles?

Thanks ahead of time!!! I know there's a ton of Toyota gurus on here so help me out so I can get this chicks ride setup so she can keep up with the bros out there!!!!!

Khris

'99YZ400,
'92 Ford Exploder lifted work in progress,
lifted golf cart

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
If you crank the SAWs much more you will put a lot of stress on the ball joints...and if she beats it that does not sound like a good idea.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

havahockey

Flipper
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.offroadsolutions.com/index/newproducts.htm>http://www.offroadsolutions.com/index/newproducts.htm</A>

Don't really know much about this company so I'd ask around first. Just happened to come across the website today.

Ryno

Khris-

the base model tacomas have manual hubs. I believe Warn makes a replacement. Check with ORW. As far as cranking the coilovers...same as my cranking the torsions on my chevy. Say hi to ball joint and tie rod ends being your new best friends. Is she totally again going to Jerry or AJ for some nice arms?

Ryno

PS-I'm back in town...you still in Ramona?

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Dylan

You can crank it higher than 1.5”. You could go up to 3” but the life of the CV boots and joints will suffer a little. Ride quality will also go down a little bit when you go past 2.5” do to reduced down travel. My roommate has had his 01 4X4 at about 2.75” for 6 months or so and everything is in good shape. We put armorall on the boots so they wouldn’t chafe and crack at the steeper running angle and that seems to help. He doesn’t beet his truck though. I set mine on my Prerunner at a little over 3” when I fist installed it, I then lowered it just a bit to get a little down travel for ride quality reasons. I drive mine a little harder then he does.
I would set it at 2.5” if you drive it hard. When you’re close to top out the shock goes to full extension more often, at full extension the shock is metal to metal internally, it can handle this OK but if you are a real abuser you should put a limit strap on.
Dylan

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Just wondering but does this girl go th USD, because there is a girl there that drives a newer white Tacoma lifted, with Deavers and Bilsteins in the back and a baja Concepts sticker on the backwindshield. Would be kinda funny if there were two girls driving the exact same truck in SD!

See ya in the dirt!

sirhk100

Yup, that's her at USD. Not to get off subject but have you seen her? She's cute, has that truck, a '99 banshee, a 87 250R quad, and lives to go to the desert. Awesome chick, kinda crazy personality (doesn't hold back and 100% brutally honest), and has some baggage. God I hope she doesn't see this or I'll get an ear full. Bummer I've known her too long and think of her as one of the Bros cause I know I'd be trying.

Ryno, I'm still up in Ramona.... Thinking about selling the bike (I'm going to go INSANE without it) and trying to do a down payment on a condo, townhome, house, whatever the hell I can get into.

Thanks for the info, I'll check into the options you guys listed. I know she's really bugging me about getting the front end up higher and she wants to squeeze 33"s under it. I'm thinking glass the front and see how they clear the bed. Maybe flair it if possible or go glass.

Speak of the devil, she just called.

Khris

'99YZ400,
'92 Ford Exploder lifted work in progress,
lifted golf cart

havahockey

Flipper
If you want to squeeze 33" tires with just the SAW's you'll have to go with 33x10.5 and fiberglass. A good place to go visit would be the message board at www.ttora.com. Lots of people with Tacomas over there, you should be able to find more advice.

shroom27

I also want to switch to manual hubs. Some earlier model Tacomas came with them and the swap shouldn't be all that difficult. I remember hearing of a Toyota salvage yard that sold all the manual parts required to do the swap for $600 but I forgot the name of the place.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
I have seen her driving around....its kinda hard to miss a cute girl driving lifted truck at USD as most of the girls there drive new BMW's and Mercedes. When school starts I'll be sure and say hi. :)

See ya in the dirt!