tacoma long travel

toyotaguy

Reaction
wondering what the best kit for the tacoma(00 prerunner) is today. I want to know about the total chaos, camburg and ATS kits for the front. What should I do in the rear to have it perform like a champ. Keep in mind that I am addicted to speed and would like the best possible setup for my truck. obviously there will be a roll cage installed (safety first!). I was hoping to hear about what other people have ridden in or have or fabbed up that was quality stuff.

looking for info on quality tacoma long travel.....any ideas?

evan_clanin

Reaction
do a search for these items, they have been coverd and discoused several times recently

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

toyotaguy

Reaction
not for the mini but for the prerunner. I know the kits have like 13" travel. I want to hear from people who may have them and want their input on how well it performs.

looking for info on quality tacoma long travel.....any ideas?

Brian Mapes

Reaction
Pm havahockey he has camburg lt on front and deavers in rear. also look in the readers ridez there is some tacos in there. just email those people.

You gots to pay da cost to be da boss. - Snoop

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
You should go to http://www.ttora-socal.com/ and go to the desert racers forum. Those guys are all tacoma owners. Do a search cause it has been discussed over and over. Havahockey has Camburg LT in the front, and 62" Deavers in the rear and he posts here and on TTORA.

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
For Tacomas there are only 2 choices right now, Camburg and Total Chaos. The ATS kit is well...junk and I wouldn't even consider putting it on my truck.

The main differences between the two kits is that the Total Chaos kit you can run two shocks (Coilover and Bypass/Standard), and the Camburg kit you run a coilover and an airbump. You can run 4WD with both those kits and retain the same amount of travel. TC uses Tundra axles while Camburg uses custom axles. Both kits get 13" of travel, and are 3.5" wider per side.

A lot of people chose the TC kit soley because they run an upper uniball. It doesn't add any more travel, technically its stronger, but IMO the most it does is add to the cost. As Kreg D. says its a "cool factor". I have been running the Camburg kit with my stock balljoints (truck is a 98) for almost a year and a half now and my ball joints are fine. If the suspenion is limited right they won't break. Also ball joints are cheaper to replace in the chance that they do go.

I like having the stregth of the boxed lower arm more then the tubular TC arms, I can't afford to run bypasses, so the Camburg kit suits me good.

As for the rear i'm running 62" Deavers with Triple bypasses and it works really good in conjuntion with the Camburg kit. Before I had the rear all done up the front would handle good but I couldn't go fast and hit big stuff. Now with the back I can hit stuff much harder and the front likes to float more.

All that rambling aside :) I think you get more bang for your buck with the Camburg kit (lets hear it fish, dan). For just the arms alone the Camburg kits runs about $1K cheaper. They both use SAW 8" coilovers so you will spend more money with TC. 62" Deavers wil run ya about $500-600, plus installation, shackles, shocks (get bypasses), etc.

Go over to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dezertrangers.com>www.dezertrangers.com</A> and watch the videos that are on the main page, you can see my truck doing its thang there.

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."

shroom27

Reaction
If you have 4wd, Total Chaos hands down. It's more 4wd friendly since the camburg lower arms come pre-tabbed for 2wd's. (you'll have to cut the lower shock tabs off then weld on new ones if you'll be doing the install yourself...that or pay a steep price to have them installed in-house) The uniball is nice because it's stronger and makes it easier to pull things apart if you have to. Most of the price difference probably comes from camburg using D.O.M and Total Chaos uses cromoly. The camburg lower arms do look cool but I'm not too sure that they'd be stronger. I'm running the Total Chaos kit with Tundra axles, and 8" King coilovers & bypasses and it rides awesome with the 62" Deavers and triple bypassses in the rear. Do I need bypasses in the front?...NO, but it does make it ride like a caddy. Another nice thing about the Total Chaos kit is that the lower arms are pre-tabbed for dual shocks so you can just add the 2nd shock later. The camburg kit is definately nice, but if you want the best, I'd say go with Total Chaos. I'll get to San Felipe late Thurs. night so if you see me out there, I can give you a ride so you can see how it handles.

shroom27

Reaction
sure...jajaja....meet me Friday at high noon at the top of the drop into Matomi wash!

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
I wish I could.

Also, I think the relocating of the lower shock tab will only be an issue if someone buys it pre powder coated and has it installed outside of Camburg. I don't think a shop would charge that much to cut off the tabs and move them if its straight metal.

shroom27

Reaction
You're right, it shouldn't be a problem to move the tab...I was just pointing out that extra step. You know I'm gonna hound you about going to the 500 since I already have room reservations!

Jordan

Reaction
I also have a 2000 PreRunner and run the Camburg Kit in front and a shockhoop/bedcage in the rear. I agree with both Jason and Chris. Both kits give you the same amount of travel and yes the TC kit does come equipped better for a 4wd truck over the Camburg kit because of shock location but ofcourse that can easily be resolved.

I cannot speak much for the TC kit because I have only seen 1 truck in action that runs their kit and that is Chris. I have more miles on my Camburg Kit than anyone, I think? I think Jerry can sound out on this one if I am correct or not. I have roughly 65,000 miles on my Camburg Kit and have yet to experience any problems. I would guess those miles include probably 100 desert trips on them. When I first got the truck built I was out a few times a week so it added up quickly.

After 65,000 miles I changed the a-arm bushings for the first time yesterday. They were still in pretty good shape with just your normal wear and tear. I also replaced the balljoints because they should be replaced in my opinion about once a year when you run your truck hard like I have. The balljoints also were not blown just normal wear and tear.

You will be safe running either kit but like I said I can only speak from my experience. I have been pretty much everywhere you can in SoCal and the kit is proven time and time again. Good luck with your choice!

If you want to see more pix of my truck and some recent pix I took when the truck was being worked on you can go to my site www.JordansRealm.com and click on Project:Tacoma. The suspension pix are recent so people can see what the kit looks like after being pounded on for years. Other than some dirt it looks like it did when I bought it.

Jordan

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jordansrealm.com>JordansRealm.com</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Jordan on 03/13/03 07:45 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Ya i know you will, you do ever Mexico race :) Won't be able to go though, cash is really tight right now.

shroom27

Reaction
Sure you can! Cash is always tight but squeezin' in the Mexico trips are always worth it. The Baja 500 is over 2 months away so that gives you plenty time to save and get your crew together...one less whopper meal a week, won't hurt you bro.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Try working part time and tell me that ;-)

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I havent had a job for the past year and the Piece has been at every race and every trip out so thats no excuse Jason :)

What a joke!

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
"Hey Mommy can I have gas money?"

"Sure Austin here you go"

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Awww come on Jason you know that isnt true.....

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
"Hey Mommy can I have gas money?"

"Sure Austin here you go"

Austin will tell you "What A Joke" haha

That was funny Jason, oooo- I am hurting AAAhahaha