Tacoma vs Ranger

Travisfab

Reaction
I am getting a new truck in a few days and I am still debating between a tacoma or a ranger---- xtra cab, 2wd, v6. I am looking for a close to 2000 model year. I know a lot of guys on here have these trucks. What are your experiences, pros/cons of each.
Thanks

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
if you are a bigger guy go with the ranger with a 4 liter and 5 spd. If you are smaller go with a supercharged Taco...the tacos are cramped and that is the only thing I feel sucks about them but at the same time is the most improtant thing when considering a certain group of vehicles.

Travisfab

Reaction
yeah I am 6 foot, so interior space is definatly a concern of mine, thanks for the info

CanyonMan

Reaction
My girlfriend has a taco extra cab TRD 4x4. I'm 6'2 and all I can say is any big bumps and you're gonna smack the headliner. I have a friend with a 2000 ranger extra cab 3.0 5 spd and it seems to be more roomy. I do suggest getting the 4.0 though.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Good Truck = Ford
Japanese Truck =Tacoma

now decide

michael_loomis

Reaction
LOL

truck that wears very easily , sounds thin , (even though its american) RANGER

truck that has proven itself as the most reliable , (although sounds thin also)HIGHEST resale TACOMA

this from a die hard S DIME guy , who would BUY NEITHER TRUCK , just given honest advice.

and im 6 ' 2" , kinda thin ( small ass ) :p and i fit in my buddies extended cab taco NO PROB

CEORanger

Reaction
i have a 99 tacoma that is my daily driver and a 93 ranger that is my desert toy. besides the interior room and looks i dont think you can go wrong with either one. do you plan on building it into a desert toy or is this your daily driver ? that may make you lean towards the truck that has good aftermarket suspension.

drtdevil93

Reaction
i think the tacoma is much more user friendly. they are pretty darn easy to work on. and the aftermarket supply is high for the tacomas, there are tons of kits from the bolt-in coilovers to long travel setups. either way, i have a spring for both so.... you cant lose!!!! jk. that was way shameless, i know.

erik

mattrick8888

Reaction
to bad the tacoma spring works about 100 times better than the ranger spring
(yes i have a ranger)

mattrick8888

Reaction
i meant that in more of a joking manner, but i was comparing the 62" springs to the "long travel" ranger pack. i dont think its anything that you guys could do differently, just the design of the spring hangers that limit the travel. the most i have ever pulled out of a rear of a ranger with deaver springs has been 16", after that the pack starts to separtate. i know of many toyotas with the 62" pack that pull around 20", and they work awesome. take jason z.'s truck, if you didnt know better it looks like it is linked in the rear it works so well.

i think the combination of not much compression travel, and the short distance from the axle to the front hanger is what makes the pack not work as well. someone once explained to me to think of the travel as an arc, the longer the "radius"(axle to front hanger) the more travel it will pull. i hope that makes sense and is correct.

Sean

Reaction
Get an S-10, way more comfotable than both the Ranger and Tacoma. Just don't lift it

drtdevil93

Reaction
i thought you were comparing the ranger spring to the small tacoma spring. all makes sense now.

erik

WFODAN

Reaction
And if you really want the longest travel springs that Deaver makes , I'd say go with the red ones . Eriks special brew !! LOL !! jk brother .

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
It really depends what your long term plans for the truck are. Both trucks are great trucks, both have strong motors (Tacoma in a year or two is getting the 4.0L thats in the 4runners now), Tacomas cost a little more but hold more value.

Front end wise it will be cheaper (if you buy a long travel "kit") for the Tacoma because with the Ranger you have to cut out the coilbucket and plate the frame in which adds a lot to the labor costs. Just as an example, the Camburg Tacoma long travel is $3890 installed, the Camburg Ranger Long travel kit is $6500 installed.

If you plan on turning it into a desert truck....i'd save your money and buy an older Ranger or Toyota...

If its just for a daily driver I would go with the Ranger if you are a big dude, a Tacoma otherwise. You'll be happy with both.

TDORSloppy

Reaction
I don't really like the feel of the new Rangers that much, at least stock, it feels like your driving a Focus for some reason (maybe the loose rack and pinion steering) I drove a 2001 V6 3.0L, 5 spd and it handled Ocotillo ok but after a couple big bumps we noticed the frame flex made the bed hit the cab. I don't know if the Tacoma does the same thing but I would think it wouldn't because of the boxed frame rails. If anyone has bombed their stock Tacoma, does the bed and cab hit at all?

mattrick8888

Reaction
i have heard of alot of people with tacos hitting thier cabs with the bed, doesnt seem to common with the rangers. i do however like the boxed frame on the yotas more though, seems alot stronger.

you are right about the rack and pinion, it isnt that great for offroad. was the truck you drove stock?

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Tacomas are well known for the bed hitting the cab when taken offroad. Also after some time the bottom of the cab starts to split on the passenger side in the back.

michael_loomis

Reaction
damn i thought my sonono had a weak frame ....maybe just brittle cause it doesnt flex enough to get the bed anywhere near the cab , but my LT kit cracked the **** out of the arm mounts and all the crossmemebers going in between the frame rails in the front.