Tacoma vs Ranger

Dillon

Reaction
Yeah, the space on the older trucks between the bed and cab was smaller. My old 2001 never hit the cab either and I could fit like 2 fingers between the cab and bed, not so with my 99, the whole back of my cab's paint is cracking in addition to the 1 inch deep bed hits.

tre5

Reaction
If you are looking into getting a 2000 ranger with an auto transmission, DON'T. The trannys are junk, My roomates went out at 28,000. (before she owned the truck) Then it went out again at 47,000 miles.(then she sold it). This was a stock truck also, so it never saw the offroad abuse. Acouple of my buddies have tacomas. One is a 2000 and the other is a 2002, they are much nicer.
TRE5

Driftin

Reaction
Thats easy , buy American.......and for all of you who would say the Toy is built here....shame on you.... Buy American or learn to eat every thing with chop sticks....

michael_loomis

Reaction
LOL im sorry .... WHAT KIND OF BIKE IS THAT IN YOUR PIC TOM ?

oh thats right .... ITS ITALIAN !!

like travis said in an earlier post .... "ignorance is bliss"

dunerking

Reaction
Your right the some of the Fords are built in Mexico.I'm not to sure about the Ranger's but my Super Duty was.I've got a 03 Taco double cab 4x4 and the thing is great.

tedmales

Reaction
i say buy what you want, the toy was built here with american hands and the profits go to japan, the ford supports mexico and some of the money comes back to the usa, and at least the people in mexico who work for ford are less likely to rob you when your in mexico. when was the last off road race in japan.

EQuin

Reaction
Toyota is a publicly traded corporation. Any American can go buy stock in Toyota. So wouldn't the profits go to the shareholders and not necessarily to Japan? I'm no corporate suit, so I don't know how the investment world works, but I thought corporate profits were paid out in dividends to shareholders.

And yes, Tundras and Tacomas are assembled here in the U.S. In fact, Toyota just opened up a brand new plant in Texas that will supposedly build the new, re-designed 2005 Tacomas. I keep reading more and more news articles how Ford and GM continue to close plants here and move them outside our country. Why does Toyota continue to invest in America, while Ford and GM continue to close plants here and move them outside America?

I don't know. Call me a corporate conspiracy theorist, but I think the "buy American" phrase is a cleverly designed ruse by certain corporations shamelessly using patriotic sentiment as a stopgap to their downwardly spiraling competitive edge. If they really cared about America, they'd invest in it. Instead, they sacrifice American livelihoods for the sake of profit margins.

Henry Ford's business strategy was to pay his workers a high salary and keep prices down so they could all afford to buy his cars. His investment in America was the investment strategy for his own company. He'd be turning over in his grave if he saw how today's profit margin investment strategies are slowly exterminating America's middle-class.

Driftin

Reaction
Michael, what kind of trade imbalance do you think we have with Italy as opposed to Japan? Buy what you want Mike I am not passing judge ment but at least figure it out. Money spent buying american products goes to america,,, money spent buying jap products goes to ???

Dillon

Reaction
You ever been to Japan? If so then you should know why there has been no race.

Dillon

Reaction
Take off your shoes, tear out the stereo you own, set your entertainment system on fire, throw the toaster at your dog and throw your computer out the window and "Buy American!!". Dork

V8Ranger

Reaction
You also have to take into account that the auto companies are traded on the stock market so they are owned by people throughout the world.

YotaWhoopRunner

Reaction
Regardless of where they were made, Toyotas have been the most reliable vehicles I have had in my life! I don't know how they do their research and development, but those engineers are awesome. With engines that last over 400k miles (with normal maintenance), boxed frames, strong rear ends, I think that many can attest to the quality toyota has beeen putting into their trucks.

As for the manufactuere being Japanese, I don't think that they have been getting their due credit. If you have looked at Toyotas sales within the last couple of years, you will notice that the company has done better over here than in Japan. There is a strong market over here because they engineer their vehicles well and design them according to what we have been asking for. Look at the Tundra for example, there isn't much demand for a huge v8 truck in Japan. The reason the tundra exists is that we wanted a bigger and more powerful truck and they delivered! In addition to listening to their customers, Toyota has been building factories here in the US and is a publicly traded company like others have said.

All in all, it doesn't make a person unpatriotic if they want to buy a Toyota, just customers of a good product.

Oh yea, this Japanese manufactuere also sponsored the off road community with a small program that included no namers like Ivan Stewart. Not many other Japanese companies can claim that.

Driftin

Reaction
I make a comment and have a view just as you do Dillon. That makes me worthy of being called "Dork"? Sorry to have offended you to the point that you make it personal. Like they say "boys will be boys". I happen to belive in American products. Why do you think that you do not have as many american choices as you once did? As for dependability I happen to belive in maintenence that will make just about any vehicle live a long life. I once sued Nissan for inferior products and won but that could happen to any car company. It was not what soured me on jap products. I do not think you are unpatriotic for buying jap products, just childish in the way you make your point. Seems I have opened up a sore subject. Wonder why that is?

schafer

Reaction
Dillon was wrong in calling you a dork, but he was right in a way also (not the dork comment). YOu people keep saying buy american, hows that work since you want to buy a ford which the company technically is owned by a french guy... hmmm and as far as not being american, i know my truck was built right here in Freemont, CA where was your ford built, Mexico?
Yea thats American allright. I think the whole Buy American phrase was done by "Car companies" who want you to buy into there propaganda CRAP.

empire231

Reaction
buy what you wanna buy! i know toyotas are alot more dependable than most trucks, but i still bought a GMC; not because i wanted to "buy american", but simply because i liked the way it looked and how it drives! i have had a couple of little probs. w/ mine, and know friends who's transmission's went out and rear ends go out. my brothers 96 taco has 300,000+ miles on it and the only thing ever changed on it was the starter(last week) and a new battery.