Tacoma VS S-10

Ryno

Guys and Gals-

I am shopping for a new truck...I am down to between a Tacoma and an S10. Baseline is this...ext cab, 2wd, V6, 5spd, Model years 96-98. I need to be able to tow at least 3000 lbs. I am getting a smaller truck because I am back in school, and don't want a huge payment. What are the pros/ cons?? If I went to a Tacoma, I would get the "prerunner", not the mini. Thanks for all info.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

havahockey

Flipper
Tacoma's will probably cost you more but in the long run will be more reliable then the S10. The S10 has the stronger motor for pulling but the 3.4L can tow 3000 lbs fine. I have a 98 Tacoma in the exact same thing you want except auto transmission and its only seen the dealer once for something minor.

The big question is are you planning on changing out the suspenion at all? If you are hands down get the Tacoma.

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."

Jerry Zaiden

1995 - 1997 Ranger 4.0L x-cab. $4500-$7500.
Or the Tacoma pre-runner with a V6 .

Mike_HKmtrsprts

I say forget the extra cab and buy full size V8 standard cab and deal with it, mid size trucks are like tampons every poon-tang has one :)....Mike

<font color=red>The dump you take is the gold I make so I can afford to play and race!</font color=red>

Ryno

Mike-

I'd love to get another fullsize, and build another 383 for it. However, if gas is gonna go up to $2 a gallon this summer, I don't wanna get 10mpg. I'll be sure and wave at you when I see you at the gas station.

Ryno

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Gett he tacoma my trucks not that great on gas milage and its a 4 banger. especially if your gonna do anything to the suspension the tacomas the way to go.

Gregg

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Ryno, if thats what I have to pay then so be it but I'll wave at you as I pass you through the whoops and corners oh yah and straight aways :)

<font color=red>The dump you take is the gold I make so I can afford to play and race!</font color=red>

Ryno

Thanks for the input Shaun, Jason, and Jerry. It's well appreciated.

Mike-

I'll look forward to seeing you pass me. Esp. if my truck will never see whoops since it's the daily driver.

Ryno

ESB4130

the s-10s will be better for just street driving, their faster and have more torque for pulling. but im a dedicated toyota fan, and will say that overall youll be happier with the tacoma for several reasons. for one...toyota doesnt have a rep for being dependable for nothing. 2. im sick of working on s-10 suspension already and all i did was fix my friends fabtech arms that keep doing damage to the truck. 3. have you ever LOOKED at the front end of an s-10? if you have...youll understand why there are like 10 kits available for a tacoma and maybe 2 custom fab shops and fabtech building stuff on s-10s...the front arms are definetly best left stock. and lastly....i have friends with both...and must say that the tacomas handle better offroad, pull 3000lbs just fine, and are much cheaper and easier to maintain. go for the toyota

Jordan

How can you say the S-10 is faster than the Tacoma? v6 versus v6 the Tacoma kicks the S-10 all over the place. Even when you match up the 4cyl's the Toyota wins hands down. When my 2.7L 4 banger Toyota was stock I could stay on the back tire of the v6 S-10.

Brian Mapes

Got to agree with Jordan i have had many friends with 4cyl and 6cyl s10s and my 2.4 taco could smoke the s10 4cyl and be just behind the 6 cyl.

What should I put here?

SJP12

I drive an 01 ext cab V-6 auto, If your going to keep the truck stock, get the S-10. I don't care what anybody says, a BONE STOCK V-6 auto S-10 VS a BONE STOCK Tacoma V-6 auto, NO CONTEST the S-10 will win. moving along.....if you plan to try and make your truck into a prerunner get the tacoma, as the S-10 has a few options for suspension and they all suck. I've wanted to get my truck set up for 2 YEARS and finally gave up. S-10, Tacoma both are great trucks. Just stay away from them Fords:)

I LIVE MY LIFE 1 SET OF WHOOPS AT A TIME!!!

hbprnstr

I know four different people with S-10's and none of them have had good experiences at all. Every single one of them had there truck in the shop way more then ten times in the first year for various problems. I have had my tacoma for a year now and it runs as strong as the day i bought it and has never been in the shopfor any reason, knock on wood. I think it comes down to you get what you pay for. An S-10 is alot cheaper truck then a tacoma. Its like comparing a honda civic DX to an acura integra or somthing like that. If you have the cash id recomend the toyota.

PS. I would have to agree with jordan, my tacoma will smoke any S-10 any day,all day,every day. :) haha

michael_loomis

jajaja MY STOCK sonoma will RAIL a STOCK tacoma .... bent suspension will be fixed soon if anyone wants to run! if your abusive to your truck your trucks gonna fall apart no matter what it is....i've had my sonoma since 98 and its got 120,000 leadfoot miles on it , and other than the standard long travel problems its been awesome and id buy the same truck if i could go back in time and start over!! i just wouldnt have put LT on it ! :)

ESB4130

i cant say ive driven an s-10, but i have one friend who always raves about the motor. but, i must also say that my moms camry SMOKED his s-10, and hes a decent driver too. my moms camry has the 3.4 (same as tacoma), the tacoma weighs a little more though. id also say that the 3.4 is probably one of the best motors ever built. their the epitome of a toyota engine, very strong, fast and tourquey, and extremely reliable, and extremely buildable. TRD makes tons of stuff for them, although very expensive, but they all work great and retain reliability. the tacomas are easy to build ANY type of suspension also, be it long travel or a lift, where an s-10 is better left alone (we ALL agree on that, no question that the s-10s are not fun to work on suspension). plus....ive driven my friends tacoma trds out in glamis...and i must say that for a stock truck, those things handle. went through the dunes like they were hard pack, and spent ALOT of time digging out my friends s-10 , i dont know if its just cuz hes a insightful driver...but it got old fast and we never had to dig the toyotas out even when the girl who owned it was driving it. so yeah...once again, im voting tacoma on this one...get the prerunner or TRD version and youll be super happy. even the mini you can buy stuff from camburg. but trust me...you'll be happier taking a tacoma to the dez than you will the s-10.

yotatech

FYI- The tacoma 3.4l and the camry v6 are totally different motors. Except for their both toyotas. The tacoma engine is a 3.4l with an iron block and aluminum heads. The camry engine is a 3.0l all aluminum as well. So they are not even the same size. I say its whatever you prefer for s10 or tacoma, my friend has had 3 s10s no prob. But toyotas are known for reliability.

NOODLE

Until about 2 years ago, i would have never thought about gettin a yota. I have had mulitiple S-10's with no problems what so ever. The 2wd and 4wd have taken nothing but relentless abuse. On the other hand, since a friend of mine got a yota it has been proven to me that even in stock form you can beat the hell out of them and they handle it like champs.

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

sweetdevil

I love my s10. It has a TON of power, the only downfall is it has no traction. So unless it has a rolling, start or a pretty good driver, the taco may have it off the line. I've never driven a tacoma, so I can't say for sure if it would take an s10, but I'm down for racing anyone! lol

On the road, there's nothing I'd trade my s10 for. But as soon as I put my bike in the back and hit a big dip or take it offroad, I have to go 5 mph, or the tie down the back tire of my bike, cuz it will bounce up so high it hits the bedsides. So basically, the rear suspension sucks... but it's fine under a load when you're towing. I don't know if you're toys are piling in the back, or going on the trailer, but that's my experience with an s10. As far as mechanical problems, none yet (knock on wood) and I've got 26,000 miles on my 02.

<font color=red>Heaven Doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over</font color=red>

SJP12

Very true, to the thing about only going 5 mph with the dirt bike on the dirt road.

S-10. Ride's awesome, pwer is great, mpg is great, looks great,
the down side to the S-10 is, if you wanna make it into a prerunner you F%%KED, UNLESS you spend a lotta $$$$. This is based of my 2001 S-10 ext cab V-6 auto, thats NEVER USED the warrenty

Tacoma. Ride's like crap, seats suck, good motor, no litmit to offroad capabilites. This is based on my best friends 2000 tacoma prerunner, i like his truck but the ride and seats suck in it, but it was fun to rail it around the dunes in pismo.

It all comes down to what there made to do, The S-10 can do everything but go in the dirt. The Tacoma can go in the dirt and do it well, but it can't tow as much. Who really cares?, as long as my truck runs for another 350,000 + miles (just like my 1982 S-10) i'll be happy. My truck can spin the TIGER PAWS (shity factory tires) all day long and then some.

Peace, Hey sweetdevil is your truck still STOCK?

I LIVE MY LIFE 1 SET OF WHOOPS AT A TIME!!!