Tahoe Question

Junior

Reaction
Guys, my chase partner bought a 1998 Tahoe 4x4. He wants to get a suspension system (lift) that will allow running 33" BFG's. Can you guys recommend anything? I'm a Ford guy. I told him to hold off until I asked the DeZert People. I can do the specific research as to options, price etc but I am looking for direction as to brands and experience with their products, things to stay away from etc. I would imagine we are talking about a 4" lift?

Junior
HAZLO EN GRANDE
O Mejor Regresa A Casa

jeff

Reaction
I'd say Rancho. I'm sure there are a few anti-Rancho people on the board that will disagree. If all he wants to run is a 33" tire the Rancho GM IFS kit is pretty tough to beat. ProComp? No f-ing way if the Tahoe will see chase duties. RCD maybe, but not ProComp.

Aloha

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
There was a company called 5150 are they still around Jeff? their kit looked nice. the only thing that sucks about most 4wd kits it that have a ton of bump steer...

Ryno

Reaction
You can get the Rancho kit for a little over 1k. It's a one piece subframe. Super strong, keeps the CV angles nice, and doesn't wear the front end components as badly. Stay as far away from Pro-Crap as you can.....I have a book of horros stories, and I personally know 3 guys that put different kits on their trucks after breaking the pro comp kit. RCD isn't bad...Rancho is just heads above everything else in the 4" category.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Junior

Reaction
I'm with you on the Ford comment however, this guys Bro-in-law works at a Chevy dealership. Anyway, the guy will NOT pound it hard at all. Probably 90% street and maybe 4 weekends a year in 4x4. I'm a little tired so bear with me......what is RCD? Race Car Dynamics? Couldn't the guy get a couple inches out of a good torsion cranking? How far away from 33's is a stock Tahoe?

Thanks in advance.........

Junior
HAZLO EN GRANDE
O Mejor Regresa A Casa

Ryno

Reaction
Junior-

unless he loves to replace ball joints and tie rod ends, don't mess with the torsion bars. 33's are not that far away...a 33" tire metric is 285/75/16...I have them on my Z71, and they don't rub at all. If he goes to a wider rim...they will rub. I just had a better idea...for $100, go down to Home Depot, get yourself a high quality sawzall...and make some clearance. Cheap, easy, effective.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Junior

Reaction
Now that may be the best idea yet. Thanks for all the information.

Junior
HAZLO EN GRANDE
O Mejor Regresa A Casa