Tail Light problem

trenchless

Reaction
Just like most Grand Cherokees I see brake lights don't work right on my wifes. When the lights are on and you hit the brakes the drivers side brake light doesn't come on. When the lights are off during the day the brake light works. Is it the socket, tail light assembly something else? The bulbs are ok. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

5racer

Reaction
sounds like you have lost a ground they mite ground through the tail light houseing check all the screws .you can also run a jump wire to ground and see if that helps ,and also could be the socket is wore out.

loufish

Reaction
You need to pull the bulb and check for voltage with lights on and brake applied...I don't think it's a ground, the ground worked fine with lights off...Has there been some work done to the lights or bulbs replace recently?

5racer

Reaction
You need to pull the bulb and check for voltage with lights on and brake applied...I don't think it's a ground, the ground worked fine with lights off...Has there been some work done to the lights or bulbs replace recently?
90 % of wiring probs are grounds i would start there .

DesertGuy1

Reaction
It seems like this is a common issue... Found this while looking for something else, might be worth a shot:

First, I want to say thank you for the info, you saved me money and aggravation. Second it took mea little while to figure out what contact I was looking for. So I would like to provide a little more detail to make it easier for others in the future.
This is the corrective method for your brake lights not working when your headlights are on(2000 Jeep Cherokee Larado).
1) The cause of the problem is heat from the bulb.
2) Remove the light assembly as if you were going to change a bulb.
3) Turn the socket and remove it from the taillight assembly and set it aside(check to be sure your bulb is not burnt out).
4) Look at the opening, you will see 3 flat chrome colored contacts on the assembly.
5) Notice the one by it self at the top of the opening, that is the “ground”.
6) If you look closely you will notice the plastic around the ground contact has shrunk a little bit, this caused the contact to pull away from the socket, causing the problem.
7) With a small flat head screwdriver, VERY GENTLY pry up the contact so it stays slightly upward by itself.
8) Re-insert the bulb assembly back into the housing and press your brake petal with your lights on.
9) You should be in good to go!
10) Tools: Phillips head screwdriver and a small flat head screwdriver.
11) Time : 5 minutes per light

Like 5Racer said and I would add: 99% of wiring problems are either a ground issue or a terminal connection, so it is definately worth a lookzy.