• Forum membership has its advantages....

Taking a race truck across the border Norra 1000

TRichards

Even though I have been to Mexico many times I have never taken my own race truck across the border. So I talked to a friend today and he said at the Otay crossing they will impose taxes on my truck and trailer and parts etc. Is this true? How much could that be? Can I take a race vehicle across at Tecate crossing. Any info I guess it helpful.

scary fast hummer

Tecate is where I am planning on crossing over. My buggy is registered and licenced and has MX insurance. I hope that makes it easy!

LantanaTX

We have crossed for years and never paid any taxes. The last few years we have crossed at Tecate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abreojos

Never heard of the truck and trailer being taxed. Fuel is a no-no. extra tires etc can be a problem.

flyinbronco

You will need a title or current registration for ALL vehicles. Ditto no fuel and tires can be an issue. I seem to remember that last year the word was no more than 2 spares per vehicle but I'm old and forget stuff.

rustyb

I've never crossed at Otay. I always used to cross at Tecate because they didn't even check registrations, then going down for the 2015 1000 they wouldn't let me in because I had so many spare wheels and tires. The inspector told me that they had a new guy in charge and everything was by the book now. I believe he said 2 spares per vehicle (I had 2 quads and about 10 tires). I couldn't even pay the duty as the official who collects them was off (it was Sunday). Drove to San Ysidro, no problem, just checked the registrations. Same thing crossing for NORRA last year (with a buggy on a trailer) and for the 1000 (2 quads on a trailer with multiple spares), just registration check. If you do cross at San Ysidro, right after the inspection area you can pull over to the right and get your tourist cards if needed-fast, easy, free, and plenty of parking.

LantanaTX

You will need a title or current registration for ALL vehicles. Ditto no fuel and tires can be an issue. I seem to remember that last year the word was no more than 2 spares per vehicle but I'm old and forget stuff.
They want to see registration for the race cars. We've never had that but got through. Last year they tried to crack down on spare tires for the race car (ridiculous) We ignored that too and got through. Fuel cans must be empty and no fuel drums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustyb

Oh yeah, I've never heard of a tax on trucks or trailers either. They will charge you an import duty if they think you are bringing something in to sell.

Flyinbronco, with a second old guy who forgets stuff also remembering 2 spares per vehicle, I think we're correct.

43mod

I was told 4 spares for race vehicle at the border. Had no problem w 4 race 2 truck spares and 1 trailer spare.
What that means you can do at this point in time is..... well............. who knows . They are constantly inconsistent .

Team Todo En

I've always heard that tires must be mounted and fuel containers must be empty. Never heard a limit on quantity, but I could understand them having an issue if it's 8 or 10 spares. 4 spares was never a problemo at San Ysidro for us.
We're also bringing 3 spares for the trailer. We needed 2 last year and only brought 1. It turns out 20575R15 isn't an easy find in Baja. After searching for a couple of hours, we ended up with the closest car tire size we could find.

Mark Newhan

What he said. Two race car spares per vehicle. It kinda sucks, cause with the NORRA event last year we only took three chase trucks, that's 6 additional spares, not including the two on the race truck. That's not a lot of tires to burn up over four days of racing.

Check with NORRA, I believe they gave some guidance on it and had a letter explaining the proper procedure for crossing. Also, there was no crossing at San Ysidro. We had to cross at Otay.

luvbaja2

I'm going through San Ysidro this year. Last year we were told to cross at Otay. Went there with our entire team and they wouldn't let us cross because we had a camper van. The X-ray machine was broken. They told us to turn around (impossible) and go to San Ysidro. Called NORRA and they said there was a rep there. Not so. We waited 2.5 hrs before they finally did a manual search of the camper. Tecate no better now. Got kicked out two years ago with too many tires (unmounted). Had to sell the tires on the US side then re-enter. You just never know.

Bro_Gill

Need registration that matches the numbers on car taking in. There have been instances or spares (parts, nuts/bolts, etc...) if new, they want a list of them and charge an import tax (I think it is suppose to be 16%, but always ends up being a nice round number with a couple zeros towards the end of it. Grease up your new stuff and make it look used, it works and saves the cost and a couple hours hassle. Just had a team go through the import deal on their way to San Felipe.

TRichards

Need registration that matches the numbers on car taking in. There have been instances or spares (parts, nuts/bolts, etc...) if new, they want a list of them and charge an import tax (I think it is suppose to be 16%, but always ends up being a nice round number with a couple zeros towards the end of it. Grease up your new stuff and make it look used, it works and saves the cost and a couple hours hassle. Just had a team go through the import deal on their way to San Felipe.
This is what I heard also.

JDDurfey

They are constantly inconsistent
^^^ This is the biggest issue. And even when you get a "representative" or a freight forwarder to help you cross you have issues. It all depends on who is running the show that day and what kind of mood they are in.

It would be nice if there was a way that race orgs could get a special variance from the government to allow their "customers", race teams, to cross with the necessary items they need to compete. I understand the Mexican government doesn't want us taking a bunch of stuff in that we are going to sell with out paying taxes on it, but at the same time we need to be able to function once we are down there. I personally wouldn't go without about 4 trailer spares, not to mention all the other spares needed.