Taking children to mexico

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
Bringing the kids this time, any thing special needed besides photo I.D and copies of birth certificates?

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

jeff

Reaction
Here are a few things to consider... make sure the birth certificates have the raised stamp on them. I know that not all birth certificates have this but the Mexicans are really picky about this. How far south are you going Pat? Far enough to require the tourista card? That's a whole different story there.

As far as I know you and your wife are still married... but if you are traveling alone with the kids you want to get a notarized consent form that has your wifes (or their moms) permission granting you the right to travel with the kids into Mexico. It's cheaper to have the right paperwork ahead of time than it is to buy your way out of a problem once you're there. Your best bet is to get passports for everyone in your family. That way the kids don't ever have to worry about the Mexican government holding them until the family deal can be sorted out. From what I've learned, a kid with a US Passport and a copy of their birth certificate is best off. I always had a passport when I was a kid and I never had any problems traveling with or without my parents, Mexico or otherwise. The nice thing about them having a passport is if you get injured or otherwise are split up from the kids for whatever reason, they can still cross back into or out of Mexico without you. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. If I had kids I'd spend the money and go the passport route - no doubt about it!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html>http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html</A>

Hope this helps.

Aloha

FABRICATOR

Reaction
The best thing to have when taking kids to Baja is their mother! She'll make a great passport. If you don't have that with you, it might get a little more complicated.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

martininsocal

Reaction
A lot of it depends on how far south you are going. If you stay within the non-Visa/Passport areas, it isn't so bad. I startde taking my sons when they each turned 3. The only real issue was when we would go to Ensenada for tech, I made sure to put th efear of little blonde haired mexican slave boy into my youngest so he wouldn't wonder off like he would in shopping malls. It worked. They did well, slept in the dirt at the zoo road and Ojos just fine. Now they are comfortable and realize things are just different there, so they have to be aware.
If you are going farther south, make sure you have the visas ready(too late for passports) and have them authenticated as soon as you cross the border. Makes it that much easier to not have to worry about paperwork. And teach them to answer "United States" when asked...

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

jeff

Reaction
If anyone wants an EXPEDITED passport you can get them in 12 days through the US Department of State. I guess 12-days is expedited when dealing with the gubment these days. They charge an additional $60 bucks plus shipping costs. If you've got $$$ to burn and need one faster, there are companies that specialize in 24-48 hour passport processing. Those services can run $200-300 per passport though.

Aloha

Reaction
Yeah, I always bring my passport now. (used to do the birth certificate thing)

Back in '91, there was all this hype for this solar eclipse (went thru LaPaz, I ended up north of there).
All this bulls* nonsense about fuel shortages, checkpoints. When I got to the Federali checkpoint @Guerrero Negro (?), all they asked me was if I had any Playboy magazines. That was a new twist to the
mordida (?), aka bribe.

"Go for the Gusto, Go for the Overall"
-- Robby Gordon, SCORE off-road champion

Junior

Reaction
10-4 on the Mother deal. My experience is that they don't mess with families at all.

Junior
EJR Racing Trophy Truck #44
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ejrracing.com>http://www.ejrracing.com</A>

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
Thanks for the info, Basicly the same deal as when we went to Canada, but dirtier...lol. I am going monday with the kids and the wife is coming down wednesday before the race and she'll be taking them back in her car. Not going much further than Ensenada. I seem to have been elected camp counselor / tour guide for our "group". Want to keep the rookies in our group local.

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

Gabe Lara

Reaction
Jeff,
Believe it or not, I got mine expedited from the Federal building here in West LA in 1 day.
Cost me $140 bucks, and wasted a 1/2 day there, but you can pull it off. Just be sure to have an early appointment and all of you info ready!

-Gabe

jeff

Reaction
Gabe-

That's got to be a new record! I didn't think the US government could get ANYTHING done in a day. I'm seeing a trend though... If anything else out of the ordinary happens (like the Angels winning the series?) I'm going to move to the hills and just wait for the end of the world.

Just how was spending a day in West LA dealing with all of that? I need to get my passport renewed and have to make an actual appearance (or get a photo taken anyways) because the picture I have on mine doesn't look anything like me. Years'll do that to ya I guess.

Aloha