Taking off my cat. conv?

Bryan_D

Reaction
I have a 1996 jeep and it has the o2 sensor before and after the cat, and as we know the guts of the cats dont like bumps. How do I get around this? I want to put a drop pipe when I am in the dirt. Can I get a dummt sensor or what. If anyone can help it would be great.

cleartoy

Reaction
You need both sensors for the EFI to work right. Usually 96 and up is OBD2.

You could just flange your cat, then put a straight pipe with flanges on it to make easy removal.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

geoff

Reaction
the best thing to do is convert to obd1. if that is over and above your wiring capabiliites, generally the 96-98 obd2 1st generation cars will not throw a code. so get another cat from a junkyard, and gut that. That is the easiest hting;. If you get a code, then you can get an o2 sensor simulator that keeps the ecu happy despite the lack of a cat. hope this helps.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

cleartoy

Reaction
Guess i dont understand. I got a 94 Toy, which is OBD1 i believe...it has a sensor before and after the cat from the factory. I Put on header, with straight 2.25" piping with no cat all the way back except a Magnaflow straight through muff, and i never got a check engine light.

The 2 O2 sensors are in place and functioning.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Jegs and summit both have the simmulators in there. I think its called closed loop 02 sensor or something. Do these simmulators effect the peformance at all?