Taking the plunge PS2

JCA

Reaction
I am buying a PS2 for my son ( for his b-day). I currently find a PS2 for $199 that is just the base unit and one controller or $249 for 2 controllers and a 8mb card. What does the card do? He also wants the monster truck game, is it any good? Any thoughts or recomendations would be great. I am not a gamer myself so I have no clue. Thanks

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

singlehanded

Reaction
The card is used to save games on so you can start where you left off.

local

gary

Reaction
not trying to advertise for my bosses, but you might want to try costco...you get the extra controller, the memory card, and 2 games (not of your choice, sorry) for i think $279 right now. and you get costco's guarantee, so if it breaks, bring it back, whenever, with the receipt, for a full refund. yes, whenever...and ps2's are kinda touchy...we get 'em back a bit, for various problems. try costo.com, the specs might have changed a bit....

JCA

Reaction
Thanks

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
Looks like $199.00 is pretty much the going rate. I found them a bit cheaper on yahoo shopping for $179.00, but then you are dealing with out of state mailorder. No tax but shipping.

For those that don't have a dvd player it might be a good combo investment.

Sony also sells a remote for more enhanced dvd functions.

Does anyone know if the ps2 plays mp3 cd's and vcd's like most good dvd players do?

I have this cheapo Walmart $69.00 dvd player and it does it all.

Jimmy8

Reaction
If you can wait till 2005 I hear Playstation 3 is coming out.

Trophy Truck #15
www.jimmybeaver.com

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
They are putting out new gaming systems every 4 years, so when PS2 came out 4 years later the next will come out which I think is 2005.

See ya in the dirt!

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Ya I use my PS2 as a portable DVD player. When you go on vacation your just bring that and you have video games and DVD all in one! Just have to make sure the PS2 isn't on carpet so it won't overheat from the constant use for 2 hours.

CoiloverKid

Reaction
the PS2 is a region 1 DVD player, i believe, so it wont play VCD (although there are mod chips you can buy if you can find them).

as far as the PS3 goes, word from reps i talk to is that PS3 might not even be HARDWARE! it'll be like an expansion for the already existing units...thats not slated yet. BUT in a week i'm going to a confrence for Microsoft about the XBOX LIVE coming up. it's online play w/ the built in modem already inside the unit, and you use voice communication standard on all games, and it's all in real-time, no lag. rumor has it that MS put some 2 mil establishing the game servers and networks for XBOX LIVE. i may beta test the product in advance to see what the hype is all about, and YES the PS2 network adapter is great, although there arent alot of games to play, or people playing them, since sony only made about 250,000 adapters.

Keep it sideways.

EQuin

Reaction
That's a pretty good deal. And I can vouch for PS2's being "touchy" - I've broken two already. Any light, little tap or bump, and they break.

Ed Q.

Ed Q.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Are they really that touchy? We had a party a couple of weeks ago and one of the drunk monkey's came too about 4 o'clock and decided to sit on it and take a leak on our living room rug. Fortunantly the ps2 survived or he wouldn't have. It was time for a carpet cleaning anyways...........

EQuin

Reaction
Sounds like you had quite a party. The carpet may have needed cleaning afterward, but at least the PS2 survived!

Anyway, the first one I bought broke for some unknown reason, but I think it was because my 9 year old daughter was rough with it when we took it out of the box. She let it drop onto the box carton, which I figured would not cause it to break. But when I hooked it up, it wouldn't play some of the games. It would only play a few PS1 games. I returned it the next day claiming it was defective, and the sales rep at Curcuit City said they had been getting quite a few returns on them. He said he thought the shippers were not handling them carefully enough. The second one broke when my dog ran into the TV stand that it was on. The impact forced the unit to bump up against the TV. The bump was kind of hard, but it didn't seem hard enough to make it break. Unfortunately, it did break. The disc holder won't open. And to make matters worse, my $50 GTA3 disc is still stuck in there! So maybe I was really unlucky and happened to get unusually fragile PS2 units, or maybe they really are that fragile and you were lucky your unit survived. Who knows?

Take care,

Ed Q.

Ed Q.

gary

Reaction
i happen to work in the membership/returns area at the old costco, so i get to see them come back...for all sorts of reasons.....didn't work when opened...worked fine, then stopped working...made a funny noise, smoke came out, now not working....all kinds of good stuff. and that's just what people tell us...that doesn't count all the dropped/knocked over/peed on ones..... ;)

mxjeremy

Reaction
I have both XBOX and PS2 and I would say to get an XBOX. It's the same price, but way better in the performance & graphics deptartments. Also, it has online gameplay & a hard-drive (read no memory card needed) built in. And NO, neither the XBOX nor the PS2 can play VCDs or MP3s.
late.