• Forum membership has its advantages....

Talon R or XX ?

adamysr

Early next year Im planning on getting a new NA utv and in general been leaning heavily toward the XX but It seems like there's some drama with the whole textron, artic cat, speedutv deal so am a little worried about long term part availability (maybe it won't be an issue?). With all that going on I started looking at the talon R since honda will always be there and parts will be easy to get. I know the wheels/tires need to be changed and the cage needs to be changed but the dct seems awesome and quality seem pretty good from what iv'e read and seen online. I have no plans to race, just want to hit some trails and desert and have fun. Does anyone have any real experience with the talon R yet ? Any input would be appreciated.

Nessy

Early next year Im planning on getting a new NA utv and in general been leaning heavily toward the XX but It seems like there's some drama with the whole textron, artic cat, speedutv deal so am a little worried about long term part availability (maybe it won't be an issue?). With all that going on I started looking at the talon R since honda will always be there and parts will be easy to get. I know the wheels/tires need to be changed and the cage needs to be changed but the dct seems awesome and quality seem pretty good from what iv'e read and seen online. I have no plans to race, just want to hit some trails and desert and have fun. Does anyone have any real experience with the talon R yet ? Any input would be appreciated.
I really want to drive the Talon but have only looked it over and sat in it so far. My observations were It looks extremely easy to work on and everything is easy to access, The cab is small and tight like the 2 seat RZR, the single sheer ball joint on the rear trailing arm looks like a weak link and I have heard it is, it's a Honda so that is a bonus.
I own a XX and the reason I purchased it was the Yamaha motor and the fact that it was designed by RG and has true race car steering and suspension geometry that none of the other manufacturers produce. I only have about 800 miles on my 2018 but it has been problem free although I know the early model inner rear cv boots are probably close to done. I will say straight off of the showroom floor it was a blast to drive and very easy to drive fast.
My .02

adamysr

yeah the fact that RG designed the XX was one of the main reasons why im looking into it, great cage, cab room is great, probably the best NA of out the box. On the 2020 XX models it looks like they solved the axle issues which is great as well. But definitely curious about talon R. The low end power delivery of the twin is probably nice, and engine braking might be kinda cool ? maybe not ?

sand shark

I would get the Talon R over the Wildcat XX. The XX on paper is great. Too many unknows with the direction of Textron. I would be worried about the lack of dealers and parts being available.

The Honda talon will be way less headaches and less worry about parts. Plus Honda has a much better dealership network so it should not be hard to find a dealer near you.

I would add the Kawi KRX1000 to the list of n/a UTVs to look at. The Kawi has a great wheelbase at 99" and is 69" wide. It is over built and overall great quality. A great rig for trails or the desert.

Honda, Kawi and Yamaha makes products that are designed to last a very long time. I am not so sure Textron, Polaris or even Can Am have that same philosophy.

Nessy

I would get the Talon R over the Wildcat XX. The XX on paper is great. Too many unknows with the direction of Textron. I would be worried about the lack of dealers and parts being available.

The Honda talon will be way less headaches and less worry about parts. Plus Honda has a much better dealership network so it should not be hard to find a dealer near you.

I would add the Kawi KRX1000 to the list of n/a UTVs to look at. The Kawi has a great wheelbase at 99" and is 69" wide. It is over built and overall great quality. A great rig for trails or the desert.

Honda, Kawi and Yamaha makes products that are designed to last a very long time. I am not so sure Textron, Polaris or even Can Am have that same philosophy.
What are the unknowns besides Textron eliminating small dealers that dont move inventory?

slvrbullet

I wouldn't be worried about part availability now, you can get parts at Bass Pro or Cabelas or any AC dealership. True they had a small period when basically everything was back ordered but what people didn't know is AC was pumping out units for Tracker like hot cakes. Now about the only thing that takes 5-7 days is smaller parts or entire suspension pieces. I just made an order for new wheel bearings, tie rod ends, and uniballs and all are in stock and I will have them in 2 days.

Regarding the Honda they seem to be having growing pains with welds. I know of a few different people that have them and the ones that push hard are cracking welds all over, Steering arms breaking off the knuckle, rear radius rods shearing off the hub. With that said they are fast and smooth, once the aftermarket gets a hold of them they will fix some of the short comings.

sand shark

What are the unknowns besides Textron eliminating small dealers that dont move inventory?
The unknown of parts being available timely and the unkown if the dealer you purchase from is going to be there in a month. How about the unknown if you need a repair the remaining dealer you are stuck going to has compentent people to get it fixed or do warranty work.

I like the comfort in knowing that I can easily find a Honda, Kawi, Yamaha, Honda, Polaris or Can Am dealer. If I need a repair I am not stuck to one dealer. I can find a dealer with mechanics that know what they are doing.

The Wildcat XX is a cool SXS and has a lot of great design features. It is unfortunate that it was built by a company that can't market for **** and seems to be circling the drain. Without Robby Gordon the Wildcat XX would of been really hurting. They barely move units with his marketing.

Reality is a I would be more comfortable purchasing a Speedcat from RG and that is an even bigger unknow. A lot of hype and come next fall we shall see if he can deliver. I have friends that put deposits on the Speedcats.

sand shark

I wouldn't be worried about part availability now, you can get parts at Bass Pro or Cabelas or any AC dealership. True they had a small period when basically everything was back ordered but what people didn't know is AC was pumping out units for Tracker like hot cakes. Now about the only thing that takes 5-7 days is smaller parts or entire suspension pieces. I just made an order for new wheel bearings, tie rod ends, and uniballs and all are in stock and I will have them in 2 days.

Regarding the Honda they seem to be having growing pains with welds. I know of a few different people that have them and the ones that push hard are cracking welds all over, Steering arms breaking off the knuckle, rear radius rods shearing off the hub. With that said they are fast and smooth, once the aftermarket gets a hold of them they will fix some of the short comings.
The Honda issues is that from racing or recreational use? There are some funky things with the rear suspension on the Talon. As long as the transmission holds up the other stuff can be addressed with the aftermarket or from the factory.

I really like the new Kawi, just wish they did not set the speed limiter to 68mph.

adamysr

yeah lots of good points made all the way around. The only thing I question is the part availability on the XX long term, but honestly I would be looking at the buying the XX (or tracker xtr1000) from bass pro which is by my house so maybe its not an issue.

Also curious to know if those hondas were breaking during recreational use or racing.

I have thought about the kawi,, but its seems like its geared more toward rock crawling, haven't seem anyone use it or test in the desert or compare it to others NA models.

Nessy

The unknown of parts being available timely and the unkown if the dealer you purchase from is going to be there in a month. How about the unknown if you need a repair the remaining dealer you are stuck going to has compentent people to get it fixed or do warranty work.

I like the comfort in knowing that I can easily find a Honda, Kawi, Yamaha, Honda, Polaris or Can Am dealer. If I need a repair I am not stuck to one dealer. I can find a dealer with mechanics that know what they are doing.

The Wildcat XX is a cool SXS and has a lot of great design features. It is unfortunate that it was built by a company that can't market for **** and seems to be circling the drain. Without Robby Gordon the Wildcat XX would of been really hurting. They barely move units with his marketing.

Reality is a I would be more comfortable purchasing a Speedcat from RG and that is an even bigger unknow. A lot of hype and come next fall we shall see if he can deliver. I have friends that put deposits on the Speedcats.
Plenty of dealers just not Bob's lawn mower and Arctic Cat anymore. Warranty is 6 months so you aren't stuck going to the dealer for long and who say's they dont have just as good of techs?
They aren't circling the drain and are building a brand new facility to manufacture the machines. Parts are as easy as going on rockymountain atv and at your door in a couple of days.
Yes the Honda'a are having issues with the trans, single shear ball joint on rear arm and apparently more than that. The new Kawi is having issues as well and Polaris and Canned Ham issues are already well known. Everything can be fixed on anything except bad design.

sand shark

Plenty of dealers just not Bob's lawn mower and Arctic Cat anymore. Warranty is 6 months so you aren't stuck going to the dealer for long and who say's they dont have just as good of techs?
They aren't circling the drain and are building a brand new facility to manufacture the machines. Parts are as easy as going on rockymountain atv and at your door in a couple of days.
Yes the Honda'a are having issues with the trans, single shear ball joint on rear arm and apparently more than that. The new Kawi is having issues as well and Polaris and Canned Ham issues are already well known. Everything can be fixed on anything except bad design.
What issues is Kawi having? They have only been out for a month maybe. The issues you are referring to for Honda is that recreational or racing?

My point is a lot of SXS owners depend on dealers for repairs. Most get aftermarket warranties that go out to 4 years. If your one and only dealer sucks you are screwed. That goes for all brands. At least with the other brands there are more dealers to choose from.

Going to be interesting to see how that Tracker deal pans out for Textron.

I will say the Wildcat XX is a tough SXS. I was on a trip in Baja a few summers ago and one of the guys had a Wildcat XX he drove off the road coming from the beach toward Santo Tomas. He went straight when the road turned right. He flew a good 50' feet down and managed to stay on all 4 wheels. He was able to drive it it out and make it to the highway. Cactus spines in the tires, the skid plates were toast and he had a nice dimple in the frame. He drove it back into Ensenada. LOL!.

Total Loss

I get parts in 3 days...just bought 2 new center plunge axles. Who buys parts at the dealer anymore?
Parts are VERY reasonably priced also for the XX.

I say get the Talon...another dude I can smoke in the dez with my XX...LOL.
Joking aside- I like the Kawi MUCH MORE than the new Honda as a base platform.

I would buy that hands down after a year of Kawi getting the bugs out.

Last week, I blew through a deep 2 track rutted road crossing at about 50-55 in the XX...didn't faze it- drove through flat...that being said- I carried momentum to the point that I couldn't steer around a truck size bush- blew straight threw it since I did not want to hit it at any angle- we have all done that at one time or another...Bottom line- only scratches to the front bumper and lower arms...no cuts or any other damage...suspension was amazing...boots all fine.

This car is awesome in stock trim for the dez...best car out of the box hands down.

slvrbullet

Reports are the XX and Tracker 2020 models have made big gains in acceleration.
From what I have been told they made changes to the engine and transaxle to get these gains. I'm looking at getting a 2020 engine and transaxle for my car.

The Owners of the Talons I have spoke with are just using them recreationaly. Food for thought the Honda Talon race team is using Can Am's to prerun the 1000.

Nessy

What issues is Kawi having? They have only been out for a month maybe. The issues you are referring to for Honda is that recreational or racing?

My point is a lot of SXS owners depend on dealers for repairs. Most get aftermarket warranties that go out to 4 years. If your one and only dealer sucks you are screwed. That goes for all brands. At least with the other brands there are more dealers to choose from.

Going to be interesting to see how that Tracker deal pans out for Textron.

I will say the Wildcat XX is a tough SXS. I was on a trip in Baja a few summers ago and one of the guys had a Wildcat XX he drove off the road coming from the beach toward Santo Tomas. He went straight when the road turned right. He flew a good 50' feet down and managed to stay on all 4 wheels. He was able to drive it it out and make it to the highway. Cactus spines in the tires, the skid plates were toast and he had a nice dimple in the frame. He drove it back into Ensenada. LOL!.
[/QUOT

In the auto biz you dont have to take your vehicle to the dealer for an aftermarket warranty, is it different for golf carts? Tracker/Textron deal is no different than say Subaru/Toyota selling the same car with different badges. It happens a lot in the auto industry.

That road from the beach to Santo Tomas is fun but has some gotchas plus oncoming traffic even on race day is sketchy. I should be down there prerunning right now but to much going on. I made that same drive from Santo Tomas to Ensenada at night in a Teryx with a flashlight taped to the hood following a SUV.

adamysr

From what I have been told they made changes to the engine and transaxle to get these gains. I'm looking at getting a 2020 engine and transaxle for my car.

The Owners of the Talons I have spoke with are just using them recreationaly. Food for thought the Honda Talon race team is using Can Am's to prerun the 1000.

Wow that’s interesting that they are using can ams ton prerun lol. That might be saying something. You would think they would just use a talon with some hcr parts on it and call it a day.

A lot of good feedback by everyone, sounds like my initial idea of the XX was on point, may just stick to the plan in that

sand shark

Proctor Racing is using Can Am's to pre-run? You would think Honda would give them a few 4 seaters to pre-run.