• Forum membership has its advantages....

Talon R or XX ?

Nessy

Proctor Racing is using Can Am's to pre-run? You would think Honda would give them a few 4 seaters to pre-run.
According to social media they aren't done yet but it is in the works. Their Can Am was broke down in the middle of no where with a failed aftermarket uniball pin.

Total Loss

Shoulda pre-run with stock XX's...lol.

Total Loss

Here's a pretty good deal. Same car as mine.
Lose the fugly front bumper.

sand shark

Shoulda pre-run with stock XX's...lol.
There is a video of Glen Plake on his instrgram using a hacksaw on their Wildcat XX trying to remove something that broke while pre-running.

Those stock XXs can survive pre-running, but they don't seem to last come race time. Maybe having Bulloch racing one will change that.

Zambo

According to social media they aren't done yet but it is in the works. Their Can Am was broke down in the middle of no where with a failed aftermarket uniball pin.

Is that Dan200? I saw them inching back down the summit with that broken ball joint. Yikes. Worst part is that running the summit in that direction, even when you get to the bottom its many many miles through the desert to get to the highway.

43mod

2 xx units. Ensanada to san q day one. Unit one bone stock w 30" tires ,leaking a bit of oil at cv seal a bit. 2nd unit speed clutch w 33" tires ,belt hot hot hot all day. (Both have added fan to cover). Change one belt and nurse the other. 2 cv boots toast. 180 miles. Talk to arctic cat xx guy at gas station long enough to learn he won v to r and was a total D.
Replace both r axle on unit 2. Cvs junk. Pull top air box off unit and duct tape on plastic drain pan air scoop. Temps down 40 d. Unit 1 leaking a lot of oil around trans seal now. Add fluid 3 times on way to mikes in major mud storm. End of day clearly unit 2 is not going further w out destruction. Unit two looking ok(mine).
Unit 1 limp dwn to hwy to meet trailer. Trans is not happy and growling. Head to sam f w unit 2. Make it 4 miles in laguna D before axle pulls out of cv. Pull it and drive 30 ish miles in three wheel drive to sf. Pay carwash $75 to do a killer job on all three units. Did i mention 3rd unit ? Can am turbo something or other. So far he has had a flat tire.
Going to see if we can rig up a god axle right now for unit 2 and head for matomi wash. Mever been there and really want.
Xx has been a blast to drive w top speed of 80 mph at 9000 rpm. Pretty sure a flash could get you 90 downhill at least. Belt temp still an issue for sure. Steering wheel position sucks bballs. 19 seats are pretty decent but not race seats. For now i am going to rate it no as reliable as my 17 rzr4na was.

Zambo

2 xx units. Ensanada to san q day one. Unit one bone stock w 30" tires ,leaking a bit of oil at cv seal a bit. 2nd unit speed clutch w 33" tires ,belt hot hot hot all day. (Both have added fan to cover). Change one belt and nurse the other. 2 cv boots toast. 180 miles. Talk to arctic cat xx guy at gas station long enough to learn he won v to r and was a total D.
Replace both r axle on unit 2. Cvs junk. Pull top air box off unit and duct tape on plastic drain pan air scoop. Temps down 40 d. Unit 1 leaking a lot of oil around trans seal now. Add fluid 3 times on way to mikes in major mud storm. End of day clearly unit 2 is not going further w out destruction. Unit two looking ok(mine).
Unit 1 limp dwn to hwy to meet trailer. Trans is not happy and growling. Head to sam f w unit 2. Make it 4 miles in laguna D before axle pulls out of cv. Pull it and drive 30 ish miles in three wheel drive to sf. Pay carwash $75 to do a killer job on all three units. Did i mention 3rd unit ? Can am turbo something or other. So far he has had a flat tire.
Going to see if we can rig up a god axle right now for unit 2 and head for matomi wash. Mever been there and really want.
Xx has been a blast to drive w top speed of 80 mph at 9000 rpm. Pretty sure a flash could get you 90 downhill at least. Belt temp still an issue for sure. Steering wheel position sucks bballs. 19 seats are pretty decent but not race seats. For now i am going to rate it no as reliable as my 17 rzr4na was.
The Can Am wouldn't get a flat if it was running desert tires instead of those sand tires, lol. Sorry, could resist! Good luck the rest of the way down there.

Nessy

Is that Dan200? I saw them inching back down the summit with that broken ball joint. Yikes. Worst part is that running the summit in that direction, even when you get to the bottom its many many miles through the desert to get to the highway.
Yes, he was chasing for that vehicle.

Total Loss

Need 2 of these...old good one for spare before you blow it up.

Attachments

Total Loss

Those the new stock axles or the really expensive ones from Speed SXS?
New stockers on the 2020. $450 delivered for 2.
Regular CV's on each end- 3 1/2 " ball bearing slip yoke in the middle.
IMO_ better than the Speeds...because they take the slip out of the cv's

They cycle really nice.
My rt side stocker was starting to spew grease from the center lock pin. (and wherever else these can ooze from to to the locking mechanism).
Now I just keep the left side in the trailer box as a spare...could also mount it on the car for long trips like prerunning.

slvrbullet

New stockers on the 2020. $450 delivered for 2.
Regular CV's on each end- 3 1/2 " ball bearing slip yoke in the middle.
IMO_ better than the Speeds...because they take the slip out of the cv's They cycle really nice.
I've been racing and testing on the new 2020 axles and they are great! I'm glad the factory got this corrected so we don't have to spend $1000 bucks on axles that have their own set of issues. I will add they are smooth as silk when cycling and my suspension feels like it works better in the rear while under load. Also check out closeoutpowersports.com they have a pair for $400 brand new,

Total Loss

I've been racing and testing on the new 2020 axles and they are great! I'm glad the factory got this corrected so we don't have to spend $1000 bucks on axles that have their own set of issues. I will add they are smooth as silk when cycling and my suspension feels like it works better in the rear while under load. Also check out closeoutpowersports.com they have a pair for $400 brand new,
That's where I got mine. Bought them through e-bay and paid $20 more before I found the direct website.
They would not refund the $20 because they claimed thay had to pay e-bay.

Anyway- The rear does feel good. No more leaks through the lock pin mechanism either- should not build up pressure in the inner cv boot like the old ones to cause that push out of grease when it thins out.

If you read some of my old posts on the Wildcat forum, I questioned back in early 2018 why they didn't engineer a slip yoke axle...They finally listened...and I answered.

Getting off the original axle nuts were a chore. 4 ft breaker bar/pipe and heat- barely got them. (I don't have a big impact gun- coming for Christmas)

novaman64

Unit 1 leaking a lot of oil around trans seal now. Add fluid 3 times on way to mikes in major mud storm. End of day clearly unit 2 is not going further w out destruction.
Mario Gutierrez had this happen when he ran the stock UTV class at NORRA 500, he found a seal that would work at the local auto parts store, ended up running the second leg and winning with it.

slvrbullet

That's where I got mine. Bought them through e-bay and paid $20 more before I found the direct website.
They would not refund the $20 because they claimed thay had to pay e-bay.

Anyway- The rear does feel good. No more leaks through the lock pin mechanism either- should not build up pressure in the inner cv boot like the old ones to cause that push out of grease when it thins out.

If you read some of my old posts on the Wildcat forum, I questioned back in early 2018 why they didn't engineer a slip yoke axle...They finally listened...and I answered.

Getting off the original axle nuts were a chore. 4 ft breaker bar/pipe and heat- barely got them. (I don't have a big impact gun- coming for Christmas)
Man that sucks, I hate when vendors do that but I understand at the same time. I haven't spent much time on those boards but I did voice my concerns through the corporate channels and used old post from this forum to back up my argument. I guess with enough of us complaining they did something about it! I'm actually really impressed with Textron, I had a setup question about the new axles and posted on one of the FB forums, the engineer that designed this axle reached out to me around 10 PM my time the night before we loaded up the car to go race. Those axle nuts are crazy! it scares the crap out of people when they see the arch in my breaker bar thats required to break them loose, and that's after a ton of heat. I stopped using thread lock this last race and am relying on the backing plates to keep them tight. I honestly don't know if an impact can bust them loose with lock tight out on the course? Maybe I just need a better one.

Total Loss

Man that sucks, I hate when vendors do that but I understand at the same time. I haven't spent much time on those boards but I did voice my concerns through the corporate channels and used old post from this forum to back up my argument. I guess with enough of us complaining they did something about it! I'm actually really impressed with Textron, I had a setup question about the new axles and posted on one of the FB forums, the engineer that designed this axle reached out to me around 10 PM my time the night before we loaded up the car to go race. Those axle nuts are crazy! it scares the crap out of people when they see the arch in my breaker bar thats required to break them loose, and that's after a ton of heat. I stopped using thread lock this last race and am relying on the backing plates to keep them tight. I honestly don't know if an impact can bust them loose with lock tight out on the course? Maybe I just need a better one.
I used Locktite Blue. No way you could get them off at a pit or a weekend run without an impact or 4ft breaker. (I do have a long hitch extension in the RV)
They claim 250 ft lbs? Seemed like more to me.
I too am relying on the lock rings...

Total Loss

43Mod has an extra day to play around on the course...hope his car held up well for the SF loop. Matomi is cool. I have only done it on a bike and chase truck...nothing fast on 4.

Total Loss

Mario Gutierrez had this happen when he ran the stock UTV class at NORRA 500, he found a seal that would work at the local auto parts store, ended up running the second leg and winning with it.
I think I am going to order up a spare for my spares box.