Tapping threads

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
What are you guys using to tap or thread 1 1/4 - 12 or 7/8 - 14 threads? I am striking out on finding inserts for boring bars and boring bars that are small enough to thread these size holes.

Im hoping to not have to hand tap if at all means possible.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
figured it out, Whew nice having a good relationship with reputable companies with great application engineers and customer service.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Just curious. . .what material are you tapping? Are you tapping in a CNC mill, manual lathe, CNC lathe? How many holes are you tapping? How deep are the holes? Through holes or blind holes?

What did you end up going with?

I just single pointed some 1"-12 threads in 17-4 using a 5/8" indexable threading tool holder on a manual lathe. . .many ways to skin a cat, just make sure you get a "GO/NO-GO" thread gage if you are single-pointing vs. tapping. . .

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
Bought a boring bar from sanvick and inserts plus bought a tap for each size. We will be doing these on an Okuma CNC lathe and currently I have 12 PC to get done. I'm not a machinist but my good friend is and we do the stuff out of his home shop.

He is always is looking for work and were in the temecula valley area. Low over head means he doesn't have a high shop rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk