Target just bought out Volcom

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Well now you just have to cruise over to taget to buy Volcom now and from what I heard too is that Nike bought out Hurley! This sucks!!!!

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
Haha that's PERFECT! Just what the fools deserve! Not to be a complete DICK, but I stopped wearing both of those brands a long time ago. I still get free hurley stuff (friend is a signed rider - surfer - for them), and most of the time I still won't wear the stuff. Way too many kooks wearin both brands.

Volcom just completed their goal/marketing plan. They were started as a small surf brand that wanted to be labeled as a "local" (Newport) brand. This way everyone would try harder to get their stuff (used to only be able to get stickers form the factory - now they're EVERYWHERE) to be "local", and hence spend more $$ buying their stuff. They had a good marketing strategy that made them huge (think quicksilver being sold in the midwest at Anchor Blue type stores - most surfers don't wear it much now).

Both companies just made a LOT of $$ if this is true. Steve

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Im with spare change on this one!

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Guys there is nothing wrong with a company like Nike buying out Hurley. If you under stood how Big they are in the first place. I do know that Bob Hurley still has control of his Hurley Int. Co.
Did you know that Billabong sells almost a billion dollars a year? Yes they do; they are about twice the size of Quicksilver.
All a company like Target buying Volcom is going to do is give them more money "power" To build more clothing to sell to more people around the world.
Do you hate your favorite band "offspring, pennywise, Zombie, Metalica, etc because they sell records and are owned buy a record lable?

MNotary

Reaction
Yea, and sponsor more surf trips, contests and pros'. But living in Cal, it IS all about being cool.

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
I never said I stopped wearing the close for that reason Jerry (oh and it does suck when bands sell out - punk bands shouldn't charge over $10-15 MAX for a show - look a NOFX). Anyway, Bob still does have control, and knows what he is doing in running a company to make $$. He was in Billabong long enough to learn. He is making $$ which is great for him. I'm just saying I won't wear the clothes. My friend on the other hand HAS to - he signed a contract saying he would! Steve

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I am one of those KOOKS that wear both brands. My wife also. I guess we are lame when we thought we looked cool. Thanks for bringing up Steve, what should we be wearing to be cool??

mxjeremy

Reaction
Now do you think Chevy will stop with the s-10 Volcom package? You know the one, it comes with 1 or 2 x-large Volcom stickers for the back glass. The stickers must be arranged in the lower corners of the glass, and tilted so that the diamond tips point in towards the center of the truck. Maybe now they will include the Target logo in the center so the diamonds have something to point at. Anyone?
late.

Gabe Lara

Reaction
I've seen some up here too. Some Rangers with the same package...

The give me the hardest look when they see my RDC sticker in the back window of the Chevy.
Little do they know...

-Gabe

"Foos bettah reconize!!"

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
That's HOT!!!! S dimes, Rangers, Jalopies...it's all the same when they got the 16 inch die cuts straigh off ebay. You know what you are gonna see when you pull up next to it, no nat a flat bill...a Rolled bill!

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
im jealous my s10 doesnt have one volcom sticker on it and i only own one pair of volcom shorts.

sbro

Reaction
I have a couple Volcom stickers on my truck but that doesn't necessarily make me a bad person or less devoted to desert racing (or so I always thought? Being that the two things are completely unrelated...). I work at one of their largest distributors (now ex distributor after their new "marketing strategy"), and I've been a big fan of the company since they started way back when. They make some great fitting clothes. Some people actually have outside interests from the desert world (imagine that!). By your same logic, you should be making fun of people with SCORE stickers, since there are tons more of trucks running those, and the people driving them are equally stereotypable. Seems immature to me..... Why is brand quality determined by the quantity of people wearing it?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by sbro on 01/09/03 09:00 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Spare Change, not trying to be a prick but wouldn't your friend have "sold-out" because he signed deal with them to make money or to get product and promotion? That is exactly what bands do.

Confucius Say - "Every man who do Flying-W, come down with nuts in mouth."

Ryno

Reaction
I can understand what everyone is saying, typical sell-out BS. I wear pretty much a mutt mix of everything. I see it like this. I don't give a flying crap if people think I look "cool". I wanna be comfy in my clothes, get eyes from females, and like what I wear. I wear a Carhartt jacket all the time. It's warm, and comfy. I got called a "Hick". The guy that called me a "hick" took a foot to the groin, and I asked him if "Hicks" wore DC's. Get the point?

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.