Target just bought out Volcom

martininsocal

Reaction
Ryno- I hear ya! I wear what ever is comfortable and Cheap!!! How else am I gonna afford to race if I am dropping 80 bucks on a pair of shoes and 5 bucks for a pair of jeans? Ross, Factory 2 U, etc... That way I can spend my real dollars on stuff made by...Centerline, Autofab, Wright, Foddril, Suspensions Unlimited, etc... That and quality tools...

If your gonna go, go BIG

Brian Mapes

Reaction
I hear the the Target in Rancho Cucamonga (Spelling) has already started to sell Volcom clothes. I think it is a shame because I was sort of one of those Volcom for life people, but when I found out about this a few days ago I have since changed my mind. I think that is is going to be like Mossimo. Target bought out Mossimo as well a long time ago. Yea it is going to be nice to not have to spend a grip of money on one pair of jeans, but the Volcom marketing strategy was pretty cool and worked, but now that target bought the company I think that the Volcom name will go downhill. Hopefully it doesnt. I am also wondering if Volcom is still going to sponsor all of their riders?? Any one know.

Ryno

Reaction
Martin-

Probably the only thing I listened to my Dad when I was younger on, was tools. Spend the $$ once. I'm all about harbor freight for stuff I don't care about, but when I need stuff to work everyday, Gotta spend the coin, even if it's sometimes a lil more than you'd like. It will most always pay for itself.

Ryno

PS-I'm with you on the budget thing too...Working for CDF was not the most financially sound choice for me... LOL

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
Damn John - did you ever take that the wrong way. Let me clarify...
I didn't say ALL people who wear those brands are kooks, heck my friend rides for one of um and my brother and friends still wear um. (Oh, and about my friend "selling out" by signing w/ Hurley - BS. He's a surfer looking for free trips to surf spots and free clothes so he can surf when normal people would be working to pay for their stuff. Punk bands arent supposed to be in it for the $$. Look at Minor Threat, DK, etc. NOFX is one of the better examples cuz there are around now and pretty popluar/mainsteam, but they still don't pull the $25 ticket price BS!)
Ok back on topic -> I used to sport the V co stone on the back of the truck a while ago (about 5 years). This was before the time when EVERYONE got one. Plus it was before Volcom changed their clothing line to the stuff they have now. The stuff they put out now is a little too funky for me. Also about this time all the guys I saw in the water (I surf 3-4 days a week) sporting the volcom sticker were ARROGANT DICKS. They were the same guys with the huge stickers on their trucks (read what others said earlier in the post about this). I just no longer liked the clothes and didn't want to be associated w/ the attitude that went along w/ it - so I took my sticker off and stopped wearing the stuff.
Hurley is a little different. Too many people are wearing the stuff (I like to be a little bit different and sport smaller surf companies, etc.) plus I didn't really like their clothing line (too rappeish for me), so I didn't wear it.
I didn't rip on Volcom or Hurley for going corporate/big, if you go back and read you'll see I was congratulating them on achieving their goal and making $$.
Also - don't even think I'm the one to tell you what is cool to wear. I'm always just trying to wear something a little different. I wear what I get free (the only t-shirt I can remeber buying w/in the last 6 years or more is a SCORE Baja 500 shirt at the race last year) and what's comfortable.

Ok that was LONG, but I'm done now. Hopefully that cleared things up and didn't piss anyone else off. Steve

mxjeremy

Reaction
Hey sbro! Saul Good man. You can rep whatever clothes you like. Drive whatever truck you like. And be whatever you are into outside of dezert racing. For instance, I'm into riding mx, video games, computers, wakeboarding, snowboarding, skateboarding, etc.. But most of all, I'm into making fun of people online where I can hide behind my screename! :)

I think Pulley said it best: "I don't care what's cool anymore. Who am I to say? If you can't make that decision on you're own, then you're pretty effin dumb anyway."
late.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
FYI-additional places to get jeans and button down shirts cheap are Costco, Sams club, and the aforementioned OC marketplace. My most comfortable set of jeans is from Sams and they were $11. The big wharehouse chains often have HUGE tool boxes and power tool sets of good quality sometimes. Gota love the big toys!

Motoxscott - I still wear my Levi wool jacket that is "whitewash/whitetrash like" and has racing patches all over it. Definitely 80's thowback but it works awesome. All I need is a mullet!

If a band, athlete, or any other person "sells-out", who cares? That is their choice to be more successful - which is the American Dream. I know $ is a big factor with fans (ticket prices, cd prices, etc.). However, nowadays poeple can download entire albums (in the case of music) for free and burn them for pennies. The band Greenday is a good example. They were totally hardcore punk and punk only! They wanted bigger and better things. They say that their hardcore fan backlash was extremely difficult for them when they "sold-out". The song Story of My Life is specifically about moving-on after "selling-out".

Anyway, who cares...buy what you want and don't buy want you don't want. Get deals when you can! That too is the American Drean.

Confucius Say - "Every man who do Flying-W, come down with nuts in mouth."

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Hey now...lets not mix up Social D and Green Day thats like mixing up King shocks and Gabriel's!!!! Green day is cool but never should be given credit for Story of My Life!!! The song you are referring to is called Good Riddance(Time of Your Life)...maybe you mixed it up because you are stoked like me on Social D being in town for 3 weeks in our area!!! I am glad Social D plays small venues like HOB, Whisky, Roxy, etc... but it sucks because it increases ticket prices.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
Haha yeah that was social D - the song he was reffering to wasthe one that starts "another turning piont, a fork stuck in the road..."

Green Day was Hardcore but betrayed their hardcore fans by signing big and going on MTV. After they did this they went back to to play one of the small clubs they used to play before they got big and they had bottles thrown at them and got death threats if they ever returned. Selling out is a BIG no-no in the punk world.

I'm not a true hardcore (don't dress gutterpunk etc. - heck I'm still sportin and 80's levis jacket w/ the wool inside - thanks Rob!) I just like the music.

There's tons of punk lyrics talking about the whole selling out. Pulley has some of the best. All has some good ones too, but I'll close w/ some from the whitecaps... "I can be hardcore, softcore or no core, I can be a straightedge or a junky w/ no edge, I can be anything I want to be, who is to say you're more punk then me?"

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Oops! I was thinking of the lyrics, "I hope you had the time of your life" and was mixed up. Social D plays good tunes! I dig the old school hotrods they drive.

Confucius Say - "Every man who do Flying-W, come down with nuts in mouth."

Dillon

Reaction
>>>Also about this time all the guys I saw in the water (I surf 3-4 days a week) sporting the volcom sticker were ARROGANT DICKS.<<<

Thats so true, alot of the flatbiller skater posers are too (not all flatbillers mind you...). I moved to CA from Oregon sophomore in high school and every skater was such a dick even tho I was better then half of them (grew up at Burnside skatepark in Portland, you know the one in Tonky Hawk game...) . It was pretty lame, and I would get [censored] for wearing companies that they never heard of at the time like DVS (haha!!), or Sal 23s, those shoes were sick but they gave me so much [censored] "what the hell does 23 mean?" lol.

The whole Volcom thing was another story. I liked their stuff till all the pricks where I lived (Trabuco Hills HS in Mission Viejo, OC) started wearing it and making it look bad. Never wore Hurley cuz I never surfed. Plus you had all the people who wore the skate stuff but never skated...ever, that annoyed the crap out of me.

Oh ya, one last rant, Forum snowboards....wow, thats all I can say, go to the mountain in So Cal and everybody and their mom owns one. I grew up snowboarding when Peter Line was still on Division 23 (met him at Mt. Hood in Oregon) and nobody had ever heard of him and when skiiers outnumbered snowboarders. Last but not least Forum snowboards were the biggest pieces of trash for the first few years, they broke so easy, nice for the pros who got 4 a month....

Okay, I'm done ranting, Orange County sucks, so many posers, but I miss it so damn much, had alot of fun laughing at idiots, here in Oklahoma Nike is just hitting the streets lol...

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
Yeah OC sucks, but I love it. A GREAT song detailing this is "OC life is not the life for me - anaheim and fullerton this is for you" - By the adolescence. (everyone should know them now since they are on the Tony Hawk game!)
As much as I hate the poser scene they don't bug me too much. You can always tell who the true diehard ______s (enter any sport, etc. here) are if you know what's going on. I just blow it off and try to be a little different, not a DICK and a clone no matter if I'm good at something or suck. Gotta hate the guys who rip at boarding (snow surf skate wake - all the stuff I do) and are complete dicks cuz they rip. We all gotta start somewhere right? The same can be said for trucks - we ALL start disco!

Oh, as far as laughing at idiots - they are ALL OVER THE WORLD - you can still do that Okla right?????

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
"Gotta hate the guys who rip at boarding (snow surf skate wake - all the stuff I do) and are complete dicks cuz they rip"....one word Deegan...that guy can toss my salad!

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
Kris,

so true so true the guy lives down here in temecula like 2 miles or so form me him and his friends total dicks. Tried to talk to linkogle one day at the bank same way as deegan is. the one that is pretty cool is jeremy stenberg hes pretty cool at his house he lets all the neigbor kids ride his 50 just a pretty cool guy.

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
Yeah I agree the MM guys are total DICKS! Twitch is pretty cool him and my ex were good friends, they grew up in santee together, then twitch had his daughter and moved up nort and got so much going on, but deegan forget about him, even his step brother sammy is embarresed about him.Ronnie Faist is pretty cool and so was Adam ?? the guy who died after flipping his truck in the desert but other then that... "flatbillers" i guess is the new term are generally ass holes.

DESERT SLUT'S....GOTTA LOVE UM!!!

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
You can't get pissed at companies or bands that "sell out" as all they are trying to do is make money and survive. Any one of you in their position would do the same thing. Why turn down millions of dollars especially if you get to retain control of your company/band and continue doing what you love to do? The surf shop I worked at back in high school was the 3rd shop to first sell Volcom and I have been sporting it since it first came out. I will continue to sport V-Co as I like their clothes. I think that a true "individual" who likes to be "different" will wear whatever they want and not worry about what everybody else thinks. If you worry about how trendy the clothes you wear are, you are no better than the so called "kooks" who wear it because they think they are cool. You think you are "cool" because you don't wear it and they think they are cool because they do. You see the dicotomy? If want to be "cool" and an "individual" than wear whatever you want and don't worry about the consequences.

On a side note, I think that selling V-Co to Target is a bad move economically. The surf industry is very "trendy" and when you make your product available to those outside the market, you lose those who made your product "cool" (trendsetters) in the first place. When this happens, the people who now buy your product at Target because it is "cool" will stop buying it because the trendsetters aren't sporting it anymore. The "cool" factor V-Co once had, that allowed it to do so well, will fade the the company won't survive. Look at Mossimo, Redsand, etc. They all followed the same path. But they don't care because they are all laughing all the way to the bank!

See ya in the dirt!

V8Ranger

Reaction
I have an old poster of Deegan quite a few years ago before he became too cool and started hanging out with the Metal Mulisha crowd. Its amazing what a little popularity will do to certain people.

jeff

Reaction
I'd sell out for the right price. If I was a hot chick I'd sell out every night for $300 bucks cash.

Aloha

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Being the Kook that I am. I am guilty of no longer supporting clothing companies that go mainstream/department store such as Mossimo and Redsand. I have no idea why though. I have been sitting here trying to come up with a reason and I can honestly say I just must be shallow and dont want to buy my clothes from Target or Mervyns. I guess I would rather pay $21 for the same shirt at a smaller store. As far as me wearing only Volcom and Hurley. Not much comes in XXL and so I am very limited. That is up until today when I got 2 cases of RDC shirts from Ntense tees that were sitting on my porch when I got home. Thanks Chad.

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
Jr - once again I said congrats to V co and Hurley for making $$. I didn't put them down for that. That's great for them and they ARE laughing all the way to the bank. I also explained that I don't wear (usually - see below) the clothes because I don't want to be assosciated w/ the dicks(many of them) they sponsor. My broither reminded me of something tonight though - we have a friend that rides (snowboarding - NOT a dick) for Volcom, and he gives us his old snow stuff. I DO wear this stuff. It is FREE and it's not super weird like their clothing line. Plus you can't even tell it's made by volcom w/ only a small tag/label on the stuff. As far as thinking I'm cool by NOT wearing the stuff - not true. I explained that I wear what I get free (except some of the hurley stuff) and what is comfortable. I don't wear the volcom and hurley stuff because for volcom I don't like the design and hurley is too rapperish for my liking. Ok anyone else feel this is getting redundant - I feel like I'm talking in circles... Steve