• Forum membership has its advantages....

TaxPayer Funded Racing - The Duece

J Prich

A little scared to start a thread here with the "big boys" but here goes! I'm a 37 year old active military guy with a little over 15 years in. My first experience with desert racing was the 1980 Mint 400, and have been a huge fan of the sport ever since. Grew up taking annual family trips to Vegas for Mint tech on Fremont and camping for the race. After high school and a few years of college, I joined the Air Force and moved east and lost a bit of touch with the desert racing scene.

Through a crazy whirlwind of events I ended up stationed back in Vegas in 2005 an reconnected with the sport. In 2009, my wife I and bought a 2004 Tacoma to be my daily driver and weekend play toy. I had a bit of a pipe dream of slow building the truck over a period of years to have it be race legal by the time I would be eligible to retire. In 2010 I got moved to Washington, DC of all places. After some hard thinking, I decided to leave the truck in Vegas with a friend to continue slow building as the truck wouldn't do much good as a daily driver around DC. In spring 2011 I got tagged for a 6 month deployment. With the extra money made and saved on that trip, we decided to fast track our plan and pursue the racing goal sooner rather than later.

As a result, we formed TaxPayer Funded Racing in 2011 with the goal of having the truck ready for it's first race in Fall 2012. The build has been primarily financed by "extra" money I make on deployments and TDY's. We are planning on making the HDRA Parhump race in Ocober of this year our debut. We'll be racing in the leaf sprung Class 2000. My wife and I will be making the cross country commute from DC for race weekends and hope to get in a pair of races this year leading to a full season next year.

Having grown up around racing in the early 80's, I have always respected and admired the rugged, never say die attitude that marked the era. We are approaching our plan with the same mentality, intending to build a solid and reliable truck that can go the distance. Considering the cost and logistics of the cross country commute, we certainly want to do everything we can to get the most fun for our money and have long, productive race weekends. For me personally it's been a 30 year journey from fan to participant and we are excited to be a part of the action regardless of how this all turns out. Appreciate the support and advice from some of the great friends we've made over the last few years and look forward to getting dirty this fall!

If you are so inclined, feel free to check us out and follow our progress on Facebook as we'll be documenting our journey with pictures, video content, etc.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429

Attachments

Last edited:

J Prich

We bought the 2004 Tacoma in the summer of 2009. The truck had a bit of desert history with some work done by the previous owners. It came to use with a Camburg LT kit with SAW coilovers and bypasses. The install was actually done at Camburg back in 2005 ish and was (still is actually) pictured on their website. Front and rear bumpers and rear bedcage were done by Solo Motorsports. The truck had a Deaver replacement spring pack and 14" SAW threaded bodies in the back.

First order of business was to remove the decals and add a set of new 33" BFG KM2s.

J Prich

Added a little bit of cab cage for safety's sake and started some cosmetic changes with some Glassworks TT bedsides to make the truck feel a little more like ours...

Decided to add a Fiberwerx Tundra conversion clip and had a little warping issue with the first iteration. Worked with Jason and the fine folks at Fiberwerx and got the truck to then in San Diego. The molded a brand new clip and installed it and the result was a great product...

J Prich

Had to cut off the Solo built bumper to make enough room to fit the Fiberwerx clip so we built a new front bumper...

In spring 2010, decided to get a little crazy and start on the first real performance upgrade on the truck, adding a set of All Pro 62" leafs with 18" King Triples and a 32 gallon Jaz cell and a full 1.75" DOM cage...

J Prich

Re hung the bedsides and added the spares and rear bumper...

Took the truck out a few times in the summer of 2010, then parked it in October 2010 when the wife and I moved to D.C.

J Prich

With the move, plus the deployment, we decided to speed up the process and start building the truck to race.

We are currently in the final stages of completing a custom race kit for the front suspension built by MCM Fab in Las Vegas...

Once the front kit is done, the cab will be gutted to make way for cab and engine cage. New dash and wiring, seats, etc will button up the cab and hopefully we'll be able to start putting some miles on it by early summer. Will take some time to tighten up a few little projects and get some shock tuning done, then hopefully be ready to go in early October at Parhump!

J Prich

Lots of loot at the Leduc swap meet, extra thanks to Shelley at Fiberwerx and Rhi at PCI for their help!

Forty1Racing

I LOVE the name.. what a great story, and glad to see your going forward with the pipe dream. I know the previous owner of this truck and I am glad to see it being put to use. That is going to be one hell of a journey to get to the races, but I love your dedication. Cannot wait to see more progress everything looks great thus far!
Best of luck to you.
- Carson

CraigMT

Great to see someone making their dream happen! Love the name too!

From one Vet to another... Best of Luck and hope to see you on the line some day!

DirtWorshiper

The truck looks great, keep it up, you'll be race ready in no time. I'm hoping to be ready soon myself.

J Prich

Appreciate the comments! Picked up a bunch of parts over the last week and some change, hopefully will have some updates on the front kit here soon. Chipping away at having this thing ready to go in October!

DezerBlingMoto

Major upgrades going on ....nice.Got a chance to see it a a yr or two ago at the fundraiser you guys held at the gokart place in vegas. What kind of number's u guys gonna be topping out with that kit? Any idea's for upgrading the stock rack or direction youre taking cause they SUCK lol....

J Prich

Major upgrades going on ....nice.Got a chance to see it a a yr or two ago at the fundraiser you guys held at the gokart place in vegas. What kind of number's u guys gonna be topping out with that kit? Any idea's for upgrading the stock rack or direction youre taking cause they SUCK lol....
I remember! DP8 Premiere too I think right, although I didn't get to chat much because I was running around a bit. Regardless, looks like you beat us to the punch as your truck is a lot farther along than ours! The front kit is close to being done, took a little minor tweaking in a redesign of the lower arms to make sure we're getting the most out of it. The spindles will use stock Tacoma hubs which is a bit of a departure from most kits but we're confident that they will be more than adequate. It will pull right around 20" metal to metal but we'll be strapping it right around 18".

Will need to pick up new wheels with proper backspacing to adjust for the scrub radius, but other than that it we expect it to be on par with the other high end ish race kits out there.

Regarding the rack, for the near term we're going to leave the stock rack in. With so much to do before October we're kind of picking and choosing projects to get the truck ready. If we have real problems through the summer with the rack as we put miles on the truck testing, shock valving, etc, we may have to fast track that project but for now we're going to take our chances with the stock rack and see what happens.

J Prich

Picked up a lot of needed stuff at the swap meet a few weeks ago, especially thanks to PCI and Fiberwerx. Also thanks to a few chance pick ups we should have a Currie 9" to pair up with the Strange 3rd and round out the drivetrain.

At this point we basically have all the major components, just a lot of little nickel and dime stuff left to pick up. All that's left now is the manual labor of putting everything together!

DezerBlingMoto

Nice!! Nice u came up all i got was a trans cooler , had a grocery list n only got a trans cooler lol once again i got lost with all the goodies there!!! you guys are making a good run on building that TACO.... Get R Done so we can line um up jajaja youre keeping the stock engine right??

J Prich

Yes motor will stay the bone stock 3.4, only accessory remotely of note is the UMP we're going to try to run in to the cab. Otherwise, not even headers at this point! Eventually will look at supercharging and all of that fun stuff but that will be a ways down the line.