TBR Products Baja 1000 DS650 pics

DezGuy

Reaction
Here are some more pics of the Baja 1000 DS650. The quad will get new plastic and graphics before the race. TBR DS650

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Website
www.socalmotocross.com
Looking good, was that a radio I saw installed on there? Was kinda blurry. So how did prelim testing go with it? Also, what number are you guys gonna be? Going to be keeping tabs on ORC real time race coverage.
Also anyone that has pre rode the course, How was it after the rains and stuff?

DezGuy

Reaction
We have a Icom 2100 radio mounted on the quad with a 17in. antenna mounted on the rear grab bar. There is a push to talk button on the bars. We have about a 50 mile range with this setup versus 5 mile with the handheld setup everyone else uses. The quad worked really good last weekend prerunning.It took us 4 hrs to go from 205 to 307. The course was very tight and rocky. We do 407 to 438 this saturday. This section is suppose to be worse. I got a call yesterday from Peter Irvin, he lost two DS650 engines in the 10 mile long silt bed! We are #16!

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Website
www.socalmotocross.com
Yeah, we used the hand held radios and they are ok at best. Once you get a few miules out away from your crew you lose them. However, they area a good safety net to try to get a hold of somebody within earshot. We had been looking at setting up a better setup but never got around to it. Maybe in the future depending how things go. Will try to keep tabs on you guys on ORC.....Reports from a few buddies on bikes say the course is pretty tight. Was wondering how it was gonna be farther south where the hurricane went through.

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Website
www.socalmotocross.com
With that radio setup, how did it work for you? Did you get a chance to really test it out and what was involved in wiring that ?....I think since you have a battery that made it easier to wire into your system . AM looking at some sort of radio setup for my 250r in the future and trying to figure out how that could work if it can be done.

rayschooley

Reaction
Website
www.geocities.com
Rode with TBR this weekend and radio on quads worked well, if behind a mountain you may not get reception. worked great prerunning, especially at night on the pavement with the crazies passing you on the highway. Had problem with chase truck in Valle T and could here him radio to me other side of mikes. Definitely better to run with the Mobile radio vs hand held if you can make it work. Line of site distance is pretty far, called on other race channels from top of san telmo rd and got teams in Camalu loud and clear.

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Website
www.socalmotocross.com
Hi Ray, long time no see! You may or may not remember me, I raced with Darin Thompson back in the 80`s and also Mike Mancha. Talked with you a few times down in Baja I think when you were ridiing with Dean or Lance I am pretty sure. My memory is a fading a bit,lol.. My name is Marc Choquette. That radio sounds like the way to go, the price isnt to bad either as I just priced some. I wish I was racing Baja but i just couldnt swing it. Was commited to another project and couldnt spare the time. Maybe next year I can hook up with somebody who needs a rider and some help as I have no commitments for 04 yet? Great to see you still racing. Nice to see some of the original Baja regulars still out there having fun. Here is the bike that we have been working on for the Las Vegas 200 in Dec.....

Attachments

• 72250-250rrace1.jpg
    72250-250rrace1.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 479

rayschooley

Reaction
Website
www.geocities.com
Hi Marc,
Remember you guys. This is my first baja race since 1989. My son was born in 1989 and that was when I quit racing cold turkey. My son turned 12 a few years back and wanted a motorcycle. got him one for christmas and guess what, I got a quad a week later, any way we are back to racing and having fun. Running this years 1000 with Eric ridens, Tony Baker, Steve Parli. Don't know if you remember any of these guys. Plan on racing more score and bitd in 2004. Will let you know of plans. Great to be back in baja, We do a lot of fun rides, Mikes, San Quentin and so on.
Take care,
Ray

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Website
www.socalmotocross.com
Haha.......thats exactly what happened to me too! My son was born in 1993 and I quit cold turkey. I didnt keep up with things hardly at all. My 250r sat in the garage and rotted. I just worked and worked and worked. I got the itch last year about this time and restored my poor dilapidated bike.... My son wants to ride and I promised him a quad if he gets straight A`s this year. I think a 450f is in the stars, lol. Dean Waters and Justin Waters from Off-Road.com asked me to ride the Vegas to Reno race this year and that was it.....I had a BLAST!!!!! Thanks again Dean and Justin!!!! So now Eric Pealstrom from D37 and I talked about getting a team together for old times sake. Now putting together an effort for the Las Vegas 200 on our old 250r race bike that I dusted the cobwebs off. That bike was in bad shape too. Its coming together great now, I just got back from Anaheim a few minutes ago and we put the race motor in the bike. Eric should test it out this weekend....... No firm plans for 04 yet but I think we will be racing...Great to see ya back Ray.... Good luck down in Baja.......Will be rootin for you and the team........
Marc

rayschooley

Reaction
Website
www.geocities.com
Matt,

I will let Eric tell you about the ride in his section, My ride from Start to Valle T. was fun dusty and no problems. Started 16th and was 8th at Valle T. Had alot of helicopters busying me for film "Dust to glory". Bottom line DNF. Have autograph from Mario Andretti out on course near Ojos running prerunner truck.
Ray