Team Safety Training

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
It was suggested in another thread of having some various training available to teams on numerous subjects. I feel like it warrants it's own thread and would like some opinions.

I have considered trying to offer some seminar as well as hands on classes on tech and contingency days with various subject matter experts at BITD races. We offered a Fire Extinguisher class once and had a handful of people show up.

So let me ask this 2 part question:

1) Would it be feasible to provide 1 to 2 hour seminars on tech day optional and free to attend or are teams to busy that day to commit people to it and would prefer simple you tube video segments.

2) What would be subjects that you are curious about and would find beneficial.

For Instance:

Basic First Aid
Fire Extinguisher Usage
Vehicle Safety Equipment (Belts, Seats, and Fire Suppression Systems)
Personal Protective Equipment (Fire Suits, Head and Neck Restraints, Gloves)
Safe Pit Techniques

bajadreamer

Reaction
It was suggested in another thread of having some various training available to teams on numerous subjects. I feel like it warrants it's own thread and would like some opinions.

I have considered trying to offer some seminar as well as hands on classes on tech and contingency days with various subject matter experts at BITD races. We offered a Fire Extinguisher class once and had a handful of people show up.

So let me ask this 2 part question:

1) Would it be feasible to provide 1 to 2 hour seminars on tech day optional and free to attend or are teams to busy that day to commit people to it and would prefer simple you tube video segments.

2) What would be subjects that you are curious about and would find beneficial.

For Instance:

Basic First Aid
Fire Extinguisher Usage
Vehicle Safety Equipment (Belts, Seats, and Fire Suppression Systems)
Personal Protective Equipment (Fire Suits, Head and Neck Restraints, Gloves)
Safe Pit Techniques
I'm just a team volunteer but I sit out there watching what's going on and I'm super surprised that there isn't more accidents in the pits...

most of the bigger construction companies "require" a new person (experienced or not)on the job to go through that specific jobs hazard training before you're even allowed on the job site, you get your little card or sticker and then you carry it with you... maybe if the racing organizations practiced the same type of practices it could potentially lower their liability costs (and maybe save a few lives)
Just an idea.. the teams would pay for the training be it at their shop or wherever.. teams could get together and split the costs (like construction companies) and require the completed training cards to get pit passes..
Just an idea

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Mike321

Reaction
I think it would be better to have this outside of a Tech day (there is too much going on that day), set aside a dedicated weekend for this topic.

I proposed MLK weekend in January in the other thread. I'll attend if the schedule/location works out.

I know I have more medical gear in my chase truck than I know how to use. I'm also sure there are things I can add that would be helpful that I don't know about.

Could any of the training be done online?

Thanks,
Mike

TJERGENSEN

Reaction
I think most of the teams are similar to ours. We are just grateful that our team members make it to the race period with everybody's busy schedules and families.
That being said i think most teams do talk and work on safety. but things happen and we learn from them.
When we do have pit practices.There is always something that comes out that we can improve on.
Communication is the key and this thread could act as such. like a list of __________

MARXICO

Reaction
A majority of teams are volunteer and attendance varies for whatever reason .A printable booklet would be useful as personal changes race to race. The booklet could be read by the newbies prior to the race verses a scheduled seminar. The most important issues during a pit stop are fueling and fire precautions. Teams need to be aware of the total amounting of fuel they have and the ability to extinguish it with the proper equipment and amount to contain a fire i.e how many extinguishers it takes to put out 100 gallons, dump can storage and spill preparedness. The booklet could illustrate a proper set up pit and fueling procedures also including radio etiquette. The booklet could be part of tec .where crewmembers would have to sign in acknowledging the have read it , it would also be available on line for review any time for teams convince and periodical updates.

43mod

Reaction
our rag tag "team" would never make it. Great idea but too hard to pull off for us.
If you are going to do it get a $50 deposit ahead of time (p person) and reimburse $30 each at the class.
Then its not money lost to just blow off.
Thanks for your efforts.

Bryan Racing

Reaction
A few years ago I felt the need for some formal training,a seminar,booklet/guide etc.I believe a 1 or 2 day seminar away from a event would be best so everyone is focused.Bob Bower's "What about you" would be page one.I called it racing safe.I did receive some positive responses from paramedics,fire,safety equipment,weatherman and a few others.Sal and I discussed it numerous times but I just couldn't get it going by myself.I'm willing to give it another try if multiple people will come forward and we all meet in one place and put our idea's on paper.It's going to take a lot of time to put it all together but, no doubt it will be worth it.Not only knowing what to do,how to do it when the unfortunate happens BUT most importantly what to do,what NOT to do so it doesn't happen.My 2 cents comes from building,prepping,chasing,and driving since 1964.I know there are many,many others out there with whole lot more experience and knowledge that could contribute.I'm all in,just need a date and time to meet.

PDANK Racing

Reaction
Since you are dealing with people with varying schedules and locations, I feel the best way would be to do a video. Post the videos on the serie's website, and notify racers via email. Start a thread on here for asking questions, and provide a link in the email.

If the series is going to require teams to watch the vids before competing, a questionaire could be use to verify that they understand the content. Providing a safety checklist that teams can use when setting up pits, fueling, etc, would be beneficial.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
There are tons of online training type things. Check out pure safety.

Also, many companies offer this type of training. If any of the big teams have a Cintas uniform or first aid kit service they offer lots of training stuff.

Also, fastenal does training. Seems it could be something that could be arranged if you are a good salesman maybe you can get one of these companies to bite.

With off road racing lacking real professional teams I'd try to encourage ppl get training that are also beneficial to their friends and family vs racing specific

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vegasloki

Reaction
There are tons of online training type things. Check out pure safety.
We use Pure Safety for most of our OSHA training. The hands on fire extinguisher test used to be a grill type unit with a real extinguisher and real fire. Now they have a unit with a screen and digital extinguisher like video game.
I don't know if Pure Safety has anything relevant to off road (and it's not cheap) but some people could get together with Dave and make some docs or short vids. I'd bet you could get either Casey or RDC to host them.

Robin Hood

Reaction
Might be beneficial for some if you go over that "standing on the outside exit of a corner rule"

This should be added to the rule book, pre race meeting and training...

Driver and Co-driver should be buckled in anytime the car is in motion. Add to that if either or anyone else is hanging on the corner they should be DQ'd. Shouldn't matter if it is the Baja 1000 or Rage at the River. It is just plain stupid and should be against the rules!

Two videos have surfaced in the last month showing this happening and no one seems to have an issue with it.

WES_MANTOOTH

Reaction
1) online videos. race weekends are very busy
2) start broad (ie every-day items you've noted), narrow focus to race-specific (ie things are hotter, happen faster, how to use race control channel to communicate emergency), then vehicle/class-specific (ie truck fueling vs bike fueling)

other suggestions to cover:
pit layout - free of rocks, soft dirt, etc. park support vehicles so you can get out. lay hoses/cords/tools easily accessible, but not in the way.
*don't stand in the 'bast zone' when your driver is digging trenches when leaving.
*don't stand in from of the bumper to bring a vehicle into a pit (you might find out the brakes are out!!)
*fire extinguishers and people holding them don't do any good when they are engulfed in the fireball - be in range, but not on top/underneath the fuel source
*observe and learn - lots of well organized teams and pit stop videos out there.

nohandslance

Reaction
Can I have permission from the Forum to develop a 10-15 page booklet with blank pages to write in changes, to hand out to all the teams with the for mentioned items addressed, and can you all supply phone #'s links and contact people that can supply this stuff. Searching the web is great but it would be a useful reference during those last days of prepping before a race. Big bro said it best, something always comes up during pit practice.

Lance
lancejergensen@gmail.com

MARXICO

Reaction
This is a great Thread, but it is nothing more than the annual disaster thread generated after an accident occurs .Someone has to die or catch on fire before anything is said, a few of the repeat posters come up with similar suggestions but nothing ever comes of it and the thread dies silently as others post the importance of too many classes or something irrelevant to preserving our sport. Demographics have a big part of interest; most safety posters are over 50 and see the importance of educating the general public. The majority of RDC viewers are under 50 and know it all with the attitude of it will happen to someone else as they are confident that they know it all and don’t want more rules to follow because they don’t have time for safety. Promoters remain to dodge the subject as they want no more liability’s and don’t have the man power to create new rules or want to pay someone to enforce them.

MANUFACTURES AND VENDORS are quick to take our money and tell us our seat belts are out of date and no longer will safe but not provide our community with any safety data.

Fuel vendors should be required to have safety data available on what type and how much of fire suppression is necessary to extinguish a 11 gallon dump can with a formula to calculate how much is necessary to extinguish the total amount of fuel stored in your pit. The information should include on procedures if fuel is splashed on the skin or eyes including ingestion

Any vendor selling dump cans or fuel towers should have a safety list of procedures should their product fail, creating leeks and contamination precautions.

Radio Vendors should have a page on radio etiquette and sequences in the event of emergency.

Vendors that sell flame out s and related equipment should have a safety sheet on how to extinguish fires in the pits

Race promoters should require every team to have a safety manual that is checked at every Tec. The manual would cover the basic topic’s listed above all available on the internet to print prior to the event the manual would have a page with current pit support personal to sign for each event before the team is issued bands for pit personal

All this effort it minimal and inexpensive and could prevent future accidents.

Readers from RDC should submit safety suggestions in a forum that could be printed and included in safety manuals so everyone could offer helpful suggestions .Trying to get a group of people to attend a safety summit will not happen as we are all too busy but the same effort could be useful here on a dedicated safety forum that was eventually made into a printable format.

At this point in time our community has no plan just talk after the fact .No one else is going to do it because they have nothing to lose.

We will lose our sport if we don’t protect it and those who are involved.

Yes Lance that is a great Idea PRINT away

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
This is a great Thread, but it is nothing more than the annual disaster thread generated after an accident occurs .Someone has to die or catch on fire before anything is said, a few of the repeat posters come up with similar suggestions but nothing ever comes of it and the thread dies silently as others post the importance of too many classes or something irrelevant to preserving our sport. Demographics have a big part of interest; most safety posters are over 50 and see the importance of educating the general public. The majority of RDC viewers are under 50 and know it all with the attitude of it will happen to someone else as they are confident that they know it all and don’t want more rules to follow because they don’t have time for safety. Promoters remain to dodge the subject as they want no more liability’s and don’t have the man power to create new rules or want to pay someone to enforce them.

MANUFACTURES AND VENDORS are quick to take our money and tell us our seat belts are out of date and no longer will safe but not provide our community with any safety data.

Fuel vendors should be required to have safety data available on what type and how much of fire suppression is necessary to extinguish a 11 gallon dump can with a formula to calculate how much is necessary to extinguish the total amount of fuel stored in your pit. The information should include on procedures if fuel is splashed on the skin or eyes including ingestion

Any vendor selling dump cans or fuel towers should have a safety list of procedures should their product fail, creating leeks and contamination precautions.

Radio Vendors should have a page on radio etiquette and sequences in the event of emergency.

Vendors that sell flame out s and related equipment should have a safety sheet on how to extinguish fires in the pits

Race promoters should require every team to have a safety manual that is checked at every Tec. The manual would cover the basic topic’s listed above all available on the internet to print prior to the event the manual would have a page with current pit support personal to sign for each event before the team is issued bands for pit personal

Readers from RDC should submit safety suggestions in a forum that could be printed and included in safety manuals so everyone could offer helpful suggestions .Trying to get a group of people to attend a safety summit will not happen as we are all too busy but the same effort could be useful here on a dedicated safety forum that was eventually made into a printable format.

At this point in time our community has no plan just talk after the fact .No one else is going to do it because they have nothing to lose.

Well for what it is worth I am working to prove you wrong. A discussion is already in motion for a video series on various topics as a step in the right direction. Hopefully we will have some more information in a few days to share with people on that. I don't have all the answers. But I am trying to make a difference -

As a side note, on a couple things you mentioned -

MSDS are available by law for every form of fuel sold in the US. 99% of them are on line and give some of the information you requested on fuel safety. As far as what it takes to extinguish, that is a completely random number that will vary based on combustible materials, size of fire, terrain, slope, or even wind. There is no magic calculus equation that determines fuel to suppression capability. We have made the decision to require larger extinguishers based on the volume of agent and discharge time they have in an effort to give the best opportunity to extinguish the fire without interruption to find another extinguisher.

As far at least as Best in the Desert, we are now utilizing SFI certification results to determine certification standards and duration for belts, neck restraints, suits and helmets. They perform the testing and it is based on those guidelines and their results.

I like your pit safety book idea. There is certainly some parts of that I find some merit with...

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction

Harsh reality and honest truth. So many people think they are above safety. I am a safety manager and deal with this stuff daily.

Safety is alot of common sense and unfortunately many people lack it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Marxico- Most vendors already offer exactly what you are talking about. It is there for use, for free. I just think most folks don't avail themselves to it because it takes time, something they figure they don't have enough of. As DezS10 above states, common sense..Maybe we should change that to endangered species common sense.

drofmij

Reaction
why not have a short safety video at the driver's meeting, at the locations you could. I have only been to one bitd drivers meeting and they showed a highlight video from tuba. Why not a short video of showing how to safetly use a dump can with dry brake with the required safety equipment. Just a thought.

MARXICO

Reaction
Bro Gill what I am suggesting is that information be collected at a common network maybe a on track thread with individuals and vendors posting various forms of information that a team could download and copy for a team safety program tailored to our sport .You would be a outstanding source of knowledge being hands on in the safety and rescue industry as with many of the other viewers. Individuals could post articles on heat exhaustion and recovery procedures as well as articles on how to treat burn victims before they can be treated by professionals and how to extinguish a fire properly .We often forget about carbon monoxide poising and have no safety program to follow should someone be overcome by fumes .It’s easy to say we all should know better and its only common sense .The truth is with volunteer pit crews we can’t pick and choose by judging IQ levels and when you are in your race car we can’t expect the volunteers to have the same prospective or common sense and experience that you may have that is why a team safety manual would be helpful for those with less experience or common sense. Remember we were all beginners at one time and until now we have had to guess and improvise on what ones perspective and priorities are and by providing a guide created by veterans it would shorten their learning curve .There are a lot of good suggestions and a variety of thread s my suggestion is to bring it all to one thread that was dedicated to building a printable safety program for teams competing. Trying to preform demonstrations and videos have limitations, a guide book in the pits could be useful immediately .I am suggesting that if you sell race fuel post the safety information sheet on this thread it will take minimal effort they could put their logo on the heading and get perpetual advertising as with other products and related topics. Trying to show a video at a drivers meeting is like herding cats ,you can’t stop people from chattering and not paying attention all ready but a hand book could be read at any time .