• Forum membership has its advantages....

Television Coverage

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Jimmy8 Writes. "CART also doesnt have a TV deal next year except for Speedvision and I guess CART is going to have to pay speedvision to air the races." This statement is partly incorrect. CART has signed a multi year TV deal that includes a major Broadcast network, AND the cable network, Speedvision, ( which is being rebranded as the SPEEDCHANNEL now that it is owned by FOX ).

Jimmy8 Writes. "We all know what speedvision has done for off road." I agree that Speedvision has done a lot for Desert Offroad Racing, by showing the SCORE and BITD races for the last three seasons. I certainly enjoyed watching the 2001 BITD Vegas to Reno Offroad Race during primetime on Saturday evening November 10th. I dont recall any other networks featuring any Offroad Races during Prime Time on a Saturday evening.

If you didn't see it on TV, did it really happen?

JenDiggityDirt

Hello TeleSport and welcome to the Dezert People family (unless you've posted under another name we don't know about?)! I can't speak for everyone but I sure am interested in your work. Would I be wrong in assuming that you could do great things for our sport? Tell us more about you and what you do!

<font color=white>JEN</font color=white>

Jimmy8

I just posted what I knew, thanks for clarifying it. As for desert racing and speedvision, I love watching the races, and I appriciate them airing the races. It does a lot for the sport. I am sorry if that came off negative, because I didnt want it to. My only complaint about any of it, is that speedvision should be available in more houses. I just watched a killer movie on it the other night called Vanishing Point. Any of you seen it, its a great flick you should check it out.

"We've done so much with so little for so long, we can do anything with nothing!"

JenDiggityDirt

Hey Jimmy, what was that movie about? There's a great book called Vanishing Point, but it's kinda scary/sci-fi. It does take place for the most part in a motorhome though so maybe it was on Speedvision...?

Jimmy8

It was a cross between dukes of hazard and gone in 60 seconds. Its about a guy who has to get home 1200 miles away, and he has the FBI and the police chasing him. He eludes them in many different ways. I wont say anymore because it would ruin it, but seriously check it out. There is 2 versions. The 1971 version, and the 1999 version I believe. The most recent was what I saw, so I dont know how the original is.

"We've done so much with so little for so long, we can do anything with nothing!"

JenDiggityDirt

Ok, totally different story, but I'll check it out anyway. I don't think they'd attempt to make the one I was thinking (hoping) it was...too weird!

rdc

Speedvision is currently in about 45 million US households, and is growing. Now that it is owned outright by FOX, we hope to see it in more US households. If you currently don't get Speedvision on your cable system, we suggest that you call your local cable operator, ask for the Advertising Sales department, and tell them that you are big fan of Speedvision, that they are missing out on a huge audience that their local advertisers like car dealers, will wish to reach, then ask them when they are going to get it. The Sales Department, can then apply some pressure to the programming decision makers. Ask them nicely, "Are you aware that FOX has bought Speedvision, and Speedvision now carries the NASCAR races, and could you suggest to your programming department that you should add Speedvision to your line up of networks?" Most sales reps will relate NASCAR to big to audiences, and will sit up and take notice.

Watch for a new image and new identity for Speedvision coming on stream soon. Rumor has it that it will be renamed SpeedChannel, to be more in keeping with the FOX family of networks, FOX Family Channel, FOX News Channel, FOX Sports Channel, FOX Speed Channel, etc. Also expect some major programming and schedule changes, with more NASCAR and less everything else.

Re. Vanishing Point. The 70's original movie version of Vanishing Point has become a movie cult classic and is worth renting, and watching uninterrupted with the volume turned up.

michael

I'll second the opion on the original "Vanishing Point" awesome movie.....MUCH better than the remake.

Michael <A target="_blank" HREF=http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

DPpatrol

Is there anyone out there getting screwed over by Adelphia cable like I am? Daniels Cablevision, my old cable provider, had Speedvision on basic cable but when Adelphia bought them out over the summer they took Speedvision off basic cable. Not cool at all. It's been much too long since I've seen a good auto race on tv.

jason

TimHayosh

TeleSport said: Watch for a new image and new identity for Speedvision coming on stream soon. Rumor has it that it will be renamed SpeedChannel, to be more in keeping with the FOX family of networks, FOX Family Channel, FOX News Channel, FOX Sports Channel, FOX Speed Channel, etc. Also expect some major programming and schedule changes, with more NASCAR and less everything else.

I can't say I am looking forward to that. Also, I would call it hypocritical for a non-nascar fan to call their cable company and say "Are you aware that FOX has bought Speedvision, and Speedvision now carries the NASCAR races, and could you suggest to your programming department that you should add Speedvision to your line up of networks?"

It takes no imagination to see SCCA, SCORE, and others pushed out of the line up in order to preach the gospel of the "Church of the Left Turn". I don't worship in that temple. This is not resistance to change, this is resistance to a hostile take-over. Let's call it like it is; Speedvision sold out. Although I'm sure the pay-off was handsome, the "vision" is gone. Sorta like VanGogh painting billboards.

Watching Speedvision was like being in a club. Only a few (million) members. Not everyone knew about it. It was cool. Now; more left turns. I wouldn't cross the street to watch a nascar event. I resent the dumbing-down it represents.

Flame Away.

MNotary

Tim, obvious facts. Shouldn't get hammered for that. I don't think it will be too bad at first, then ratings will back-up showing more NASCAR stuff. CORR has a 3 year deal with speedvision. Give it that long, then no more Euro rally racing, SCORE, CORR.....I am thinking TNN may pick up the slack, but I don't see too many F1 or rally guys tuning into TNN, the significant other won't allow it.

How was the turn out for "stadium racers" at the Grand Prix of Parker?

Tim, here is a flame for you...you seem pretty smart, why are you racing a nine?

rdc

MNotary Writes: "CORR has a 3 year deal with speedvision.""

Our understanding is that the CORR Pro Series classes has a TV deal with ESPN2, courtesy of ongoing sponsor support of that series.

"I am thinking TNN may pick up the slack, but I don't see too many F1 or rally guys tuning into TNN, the
significant other won't allow it."

TNN has also recently been bought by another broadcaster, and you may have noticed the change in its branding, and audience, changing from a Country Western content and audience, and now going after a more mainstream pop audience. Major programming changes have included adding shows like Star Trek, and an announcement by TNN programmers that they will be dropping almost ALL motorsports coverage once any existing sponsorship or contracts run their course. This includes coverage of The World of Outlaws, which TNN partly owned.

Our prediction is that Monster Trucks might remain, as this is targetted to small kids and their dads, and is considered entertainment not motorsports.

Our prediction is that WRC World Rally Series will remain on Speedvision, for as long as Subaru continue to support the shows, especially now that Subaru USA has the WRX available in the USA and can use World Rally as a promotional platform to support that model in the US. Subaru has also started to support the SCCA Pro Rally Series by entering a factory supported team, entered by their UK based Pro Drive Rally Team, so SCCA Pro Rally may also continue to be seen on Speedvision, provided the manufacturers support these shows.

JenDiggityDirt

TeleSport, excuse me for being redundant but who are you and what exactly is it that you do? Perhaps you can give us some advice on how to market offroading to the general public so it can become the next NASCAR.

MNotary

Telesport, check the CORR site for verification, I haven't heard any different. So TNN sells its portion of WOO back to the owner. Then TNN changes its name to the A&E or SCIFI channel? My last girlfriend left me because I watched shows on TNN.....pretty shallow. At least she took the TV.

Jen, if not the next NASCAR, at least the next Monster Truck Show.

JenDiggityDirt

the next monster truck show=what we're attempting to do with the sand blast/jump contest

Jimmy8

Just heard that Kool ciggarettes may be pulling their sponsorship from CART as well and moving to IRL. That means Paul Tracy may be in an IRL car next year. CART's future looks grim.

TimHayosh

Mike Notary said: "How was the turn out for "stadium racers" at the Grand Prix of Parker?"

Pathetic. I think there was one car. It was really sad. But, Whiplash does a whole series for "Short Course" cars closer to Phoenix. As for the short course thing at the PGP, I was embarrassed for that guy.

Mike Notary also said: "Tim, here is a flame for you...you seem pretty smart, why are you racing a nine?"

Mike, I have finally figured out that you are a [tongue-in-cheek-mode-on]smart-ass SOB...just like me![tongue-in-cheek-mode-off] But, you may not have figured out that sarcasm doesn't translate well over the net. The answer to your facetious question is simple economics. However, I may as well "come out of the closet" here and announce that my last race in a Class 9 car will be Dec 8. I have been asked to drive an incredible new car built by Coyote Off-Road Cars. This is a class 10 car. I rode in it during testing at the PGP, and without any significant tuning, it handled great. This car was the subject of a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://race-dezert.com/skunkz/coyote/index.html>Skunk Workz article elsewhere on this website.</A> My 9 car is for sale. FormulaNine.com will be taken over by Mike Hinson. Mike has already contributed much, and will do a better job than I was able to.

Sorry to be so of topic! An "official" announcement is forthcoming.

mike_hinson

And by the way, racing is racing. We race what we can afford. It's much better than watching, plus I get to build and work on my own car. Racing in Class 9 is very competetive, just not as fast. It's also a great way to get my kids involved.
Mike

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Hey I'd race it if I had the cash. Hell I'd race an 11 car

Kris

If you wanted a steak you shouldn't have went to McDonald's!

MNotary

Tim, short course out west...I guess anything less than a Mickey stadium race won't pull the cars. Havasu is up pretty soon(?).... see what that will do. Looks like Estero Beach did not have a big car count.

Congratulations on the new ride. Good for you. Those unlimited suspensions are a whole different world. That car looks light, 1900 isn't bad. Your people decide on a motor?

The thing about sarcasm is there may be some deeper truth. In this case I guess there was.

When TV first came to SODA you could see the paybacks drop. You want to think in the long term, it will get even better. But it takes intelligent people to make the right decisions and I don't think it happened. There is alot of people digging really deep into their pockets to make these races. When you get handed a flyer at a drivers meeting.... here, go to a Skip Barber class on how to get sponsorship...it makes me want to hit the guy in the head with a bat. If it was there, people would be getting it. There WAS one person in Sportsman 2 that did pick up some money this year, although that company is already in alot bigger in a PRO 4.

I think it needs to be a true event first...Crandon, Baja, Mint, Parker, Mickey...combine them all into a series. Just needs some good spec truck rules.